'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chicos and Sultan of South Wayne.....  (Read 17295 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Chicos and Sultan of South Wayne.....
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
Duane, you should be a happy camper.  The Big East, likely, is safe...for now...at least for awhile.  The contract disparities are still gigantic but it probably buys MU another two years...hopefully.

I think it buys us more than that.  I have a feeling that this got everyone to the brink...and the future can be a scary place sometimes.  The B10 is going to take awhile to integrate Nebraska, and unless Notre Dame comes calling, expansion will be on hold for quite a while.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
Does this stoppage of expansion include Crean's forehead?  Any inside info on this would be very helpful......

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
I've been out all day and not current on all the going ons today besides I heard Texas is staying put which means the rest of the Big 12 will follow......if that is the case then the Pac 10 still needs to add one more team to get to 12 (I'm guessing Utah) and the Big 12 needs to add two to replace Nebraska and Colorado and I'm guessing TCU and anyone's guess on the 12th team....could even add Memphis as their 12th due to the FexEx CEO money but I'm not sure if Memphis even has a big time college football stadium that is worthy of the Big 12......even if they don't have enough of their own fans to fill it the traveling Texas & Oklahoma fans will need them to have a big stadium to accomodate their masses.  

ListerineSting

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 12:36:17 AM »
Of course, because they got to rebuild their entire nation, start over, no legacy systems.  Tons of money was poured into Japan.

You have no idea what you are speaking about. My Master's thesis from an Ivy League university was on the postal subscription program and capital formation during the SCAP period of Japanese history. Japan is entirely about "legacy systems" as you put it. Despite the profound efforts of MacArthur's revisionist machine, Japan reverted to traditional form in every way after SCAP left Japan. While the LDP ruled Japan for more than 50 years, it was little more than a continuation of the pre-war ruling oligarchs, political and zaibatsu financial titans minus the military, controlling the destiny of Japan. When one removes spending by the Allied occupation forces more direct foreign investment was "poured" into every western European nation than Japan after WW II. More direct foreign investment was  "poured" into the Philippines than Japan after WWII. US direct foreign investment in Japan approximated $400 million until the outbreak of the Korean War. It was only with the advent of those hostilities and US concerns about containment in Asia that SCAP revised its policy about Japanese reindustrialization; theretofore, SCAP planned for Japan to be an agrarian society (one of the reasons Japanese farmers have disproportionate electoral power to this very day.) From 1951 onward direct foreign investment in Japan increased in order that Japan serve as an anti-Communist bulwark to communist expansion. Despite what you have written here the truth is that the Japanese rebuilt their nation on their own through iron discipline and incredible sacrifice.

Your ill-informed comments are not just incorrect but racially insensitve. Once again you prove how little you really do know. 錯覚の愚か者である
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:56:36 AM by ListerineSting »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »

I think it buys us more than that.  I have a feeling that this got everyone to the brink...and the future can be a scary place sometimes.  The B10 is going to take awhile to integrate Nebraska, and unless Notre Dame comes calling, expansion will be on hold for quite a while.

Agree, this settles things down and hopefully will let the Big East work out some issues.  We'll now at least get to see what the Big East does about its television.  Assuming the deal is up for 2013 and expansion has halted for this year, the soonest anyone would join a new conference would be for 2012, so the focus may be on getting the best deal possible.  Still going to be a huge disadvantage negotiating a deal with 8 teams that provide a total of 28 conference games (4 games per week for 7 weeks) when the 12 team conferences provide at least 49 games (6 games per week for 8 weeks plus a championship).  They should be able to land a nice basketball deal, though it won't make up for the football disadvantage.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 07:57:51 AM »
You have no idea what you are speaking about. My Master's thesis from an Ivy League university was on the postal subscription program and capital formation during the SCAP period of Japanese history. Japan is entirely about "legacy systems" as you put it. Despite the profound efforts of MacArthur's revisionist machine, Japan reverted to traditional form in every way after SCAP left Japan. While the LDP ruled Japan for more than 50 years, it was little more than a continuation of the pre-war ruling oligarchs, political and zaibatsu financial titans minus the military, controlling the destiny of Japan. When one removes spending by the Allied occupation forces more direct foreign investment was "poured" into every western European nation than Japan after WW II. More direct foreign investment was  "poured" into the Philippines than Japan after WWII. US direct foreign investment in Japan approximated $400 million until the outbreak of the Korean War. It was only with the advent of those hostilities and US concerns about containment in Asia that SCAP revised its policy about Japanese reindustrialization; theretofore, SCAP planned for Japan to be an agrarian society (one of the reasons Japanese farmers have disproportionate electoral power to this very day.) From 1951 onward direct foreign investment in Japan increased in order that Japan serve as an anti-Communist bulwark to communist expansion. Despite what you have written here the truth is that the Japanese rebuilt their nation on their own through iron discipline and incredible sacrifice.

Ouch.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 08:55:32 AM »
Your ill-informed comments are not just incorrect but racially insensitve. Once again you prove how little you really do know. 錯覚の愚か者である
Really, you're going to pull out the "racially insensitive" card?  You yourself said that his line of thinking was from the "MacArthur revisionist machine" - implying that his is a commonly held, but misinformed belief.  Being misinformed about history does not automatically make one racially insensitive.  You may not believe this, but most of the rest of us didn't write a master's thesis for an Ivy League school about post WWII Japan. 

For review: point out where the poster went wrong and correct him - no problem.  Call the poster racist because he doesn't know as much about a topic as you do - kinda makes you sound like a jerk.

ListerineSting

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
Really, you're going to pull out the "racially insensitive" card?  You yourself said that his line of thinking was from the "MacArthur revisionist machine" - implying that his is a commonly held, but misinformed belief.  Being misinformed about history does not automatically make one racially insensitive.  You may not believe this, but most of the rest of us didn't write a master's thesis for an Ivy League school about post WWII Japan. 

For review: point out where the poster went wrong and correct him - no problem.  Call the poster racist because he doesn't know as much about a topic as you do - kinda makes you sound like a jerk.

MacArthur's SCAP government attempted a wholesale revision of Japanese society. (The use of the term "revisionist" is not perjorative.) This fact is entirely separate from Chicos' statement that Japan was given massive amounts of aid following the war. The notion that an Asian nation could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of a white majority sponsor is indeed a racially insensitive bias. While you might not understand this perspective it does not mean that the case for racial insensitivity is invalid. It also does not give you the right to suggest one is a "jerk" since you cannot fathom that validity. But that is not the essential point. Chico once again made a grand pronouncement based on opinion rather than fact.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »

LOL.

Yeah, I'm racially insensitive....hey, guess what...I was the first person in Marquette history to earn a minor in East Asian Studies (gee, for someone that is anti-Japanese, as you claim, how strange for me to do that  ::) ).  Oh, and after Marquette, I attended the University of Kansas to earn my Masters in .....drum roll....East Asian Languages and Cultures with an emphasis on Japanese interests......wow, how strange that someone anti-Japanese, as you claim, would do this.    My thesis, in fact, was built around Japan's lack of natural resources in the energy segment (oil, in particular). I  spent considerable time going through the renewal of Japan's industry and their ability to "start over" because their legacy systems were annihilated during the war.

Today, my family and I live in a city that is more than 50% Asian, a community we CHOSE to live in and love....wow, how strange that I, as a Japanese racist, would choose to do this.   How strange that I would dedicate my time to help out at the school, Little League, etc, involving....drum roll...Japanese students and players....seeing how I'm a racist toward Japanese.

Now, if you would have taken actually 4 seconds to understand what I was saying about LEGACY SYSTEMS, you would know  I meant modernization, infrastructure, etc.   Japan, essentially, got to start over with a modern plant and not be reliant on legacy systems.

You can apologize when you wish, but I doubt you will.  You're plain wrong, OWN UP TO IT.

あなたは間違っている。 謝りなさい

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:57:31 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
MacArthur's SCAP government attempted a wholesale revision of Japanese society. (The use of the term "revisionist" is not perjorative.) This fact is entirely separate from Chicos' statement that Japan was given massive amounts of aid following the war. The notion that an Asian nation could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of a white majority sponsor is indeed a racially insensitive bias.

He never said that an Asian nation could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of a white majority sponsor...he never implied it. 

He did imply that a loser in a major war that devastated that country's economy could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of the victor in said war.  While that may not be entirely accurate in this case, it certainly wasn't racially biased.

ListerineSting

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 10:14:11 AM »
after Marquette, I attended the University of Kansas to earn my Masters in .....drum roll....East Asian Languages and Cultures with an emphasis on Japanese interests.

Then you must know Dr Maggie Childs. She is a friend and colleague of mine. Maggie's specialty is Heian literature and her work on Makura no Soshi is superb. Her translation of Murakami's Genji Monogatari still stands as the most unique departure from traditional views of Japanese court life. I know for certain she would agree with my view of your statement since we discussed the subject of White Imperial attitiudes towards post Meiji industrialized Japan a symposium at Columbia in 1992.  I would think a graduate of the KU EALC would know better about Japanese post war history and demonstrate greater sensitivity towards one of the world's great cultures.

間違っている。 謝らなければならないのはである

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »

He never said that an Asian nation could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of a white majority sponsor...he never implied it. 

He did imply that a loser in a major war that devastated that country's economy could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of the victor in said war.  While that may not be entirely accurate in this case, it certainly wasn't racially biased.

No big deal, this guy thinks there are 5 star hotels in Lubbock.   ;D   And poor guy is the most unlucky bastard in Texas since he's pulled over everywhere he goes in his late model Euro sports car. 

He may want to read Up From the Ashes which is all about the rebuilding of Japan.    Or "From Hiroshima With Love", is another one that is pretty good.

He's absolutely correct about his comments regarding an agricultural society, problem is that he misunderstood my comments entirely and attempted to pigeonhole them as a societal claim, and not one of modernization and industrialization. 

彼は詐欺である

TJ

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:01 AM »
Chico once again made a grand pronouncement based on opinion rather than fact.
Oh, so this is all just because Chicos likes Tom Crean.  I get it.

Seriously, though, where in the world do you see anything remotely resembling this
The notion that an Asian nation could only rebuild through the charity and financial largesse of a white majority sponsor
before you typed it?  He never said rebuilding without charity etc. couldn't happen.  He said it didn't happen, which you have asserted is incorrect.  Either way, no implication was made that that was the only way to rebuild Japan.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:24:37 AM by TJ »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »
Then you must know Dr Maggie Childs. She is a friend and colleague of mine. Maggie's specialty is Heian literature and her work on Makura no Soshi is superb. Her translation of Murakami's Genji Monogatari still stands as the most unique departure from traditional views of Japanese court life. I know for certain she would agree with my view of your statement since we discussed the subject of White Imperial attitiudes towards post Meiji industrialized Japan a symposium at Columbia in 1992.  I would think a graduate of the KU EALC would know better about Japanese post war history and demonstrate greater sensitivity towards one of the world's great cultures.

間違っている。 謝らなければならないのはである

You really don't get it....it's as if you don't bother reading.  So now I'm just insensitive, but not racist...is that the tact you're taking now?  Again, if I had any anti-Japanese feelings of any kind, why would I have chosen the path in life I have taken, which has been to EMBRACE Japanese culture.

As for your Japanese above, I'm rusty as hell since I only took 2.5 years and haven't used it in over a decade.  It looks like you're apologizing, but not quite sure.  I'll need to run this by one of my best friends, Mr. Kuwahara (damn, there I go again, being a Japanese racist but having a Japanese friend...go figure), for the complete translation.  My Kanji is bad, but my Hiragana and Katakana are still decent.

And yes, Dr. Childs was at KU when I was there, though I never took a course with her.  Dr. Gerbert was on of my profs in EALC.   There was another, a male prof, whose name escapes me at the moment.  I doubt he's still there...hell, I doubt he's still living.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »
There was another, a male prof, whose name escapes me at the moment.  I doubt he's still there...hell, I doubt he's still living.

Nice ageist comment you threw in there.  You insensitive @#$&%!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Chicos loves Tan Tommy so much because Crean isn't Japanese.

The genetics report will take about 3 more years to come in on Buzz, though, so the jury's still out on that guy.  It's hard to get a clipping of Buzz's hair...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
Nice ageist comment you threw in there.  You insensitive @#$&%!

LOL.  If anything, it was an aging slam on me because my memory sucks now with each day. 

ListerineSting

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
As for your Japanese above, I'm rusty as hell since I only took 2.5 years and haven't used it in over a decade.  It looks like you're apologizing, but not quite sure. 

My reply is late as I am returning today from two weeks in Shibuya. You position yourself as an "Asian expert" but I suggest that not only are your academic credentials wanting but your inability to speak Japanese condemns you to the ranks of not an expert at all. Rather than engage in informed respectful debate you lower the conversation through shrill diatribe. You, sir, should stick to the middle management of an entertainment company.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
My reply is late as I am returning today from two weeks in Shibuya. You position yourself as an "Asian expert" but I suggest that not only are your academic credentials wanting but your inability to speak Japanese condemns you to the ranks of not an expert at all. Rather than engage in informed respectful debate you lower the conversation through shrill diatribe. You, sir, should stick to the middle management of an entertainment company.   

Welcome back long time reader only recent poster   ::) 

I positioned myself as an Asian expert?  Hardly.  I know my limitations.  But your implication that I know nothing about Asia or Japan in particular, was incorrect.   Did you read either book on Japan after WWII that I suggested, or are they wrong, too?  Let's not forget who started throwing the verbal bombs...you did.  You were the one not debating respectfully, so your accusations don't hold much water with me.  Furthermore, you accusation of racism was bullcrap and needed to be called out.

Incidentally, your last Japanese statement left a lot to be desired.  As I mentioned, I couldn't make heads or tails out of it because my Kanji skills are very dated, so I asked a good friend of mine.

"間違っている。 謝らなければならないのはである 

Is this directed at you?  This sentence is very non-Japanese.  Terrible Japanese structure"
-T. Kuwahara

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
Anyone else having flashbacks when reading Listerine's posts to Goodwill Hunting, specifically the bar scene where the pompous ass in the ponytail attempts to humiliate Affleck and Matt Damon owns him.

"50 years from now you are going to do some thinking and come to realize there are 2 certainties in life: 1) Don't do that.  And 2) You dropped 150K on a f-ing education you could have got for $1.50 in late charges at your local library."

Carry on.  I was actually learning some things until racially insensitive started getting injected into things.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:39:12 PM by JWags85 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
This thread makes Me So Horny.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Anyone else having flashbacks when reading Listerine's posts to Goodwill Hunting, specifically the bar scene where the pompous ass in the ponytail attempts to humiliate Affleck and Matt Damon owns him.

"50 years from now you are going to do some thinking and come to realize there are 2 certainties in life: 1) Don't do that.  And 2) You dropped 150K on a f-ing education you could have got for $1.50 in late charges at your local library."

Carry on.  I was actually learning some things until racial insensitive started getting injected into things.

LOL...I was thinking the exact same thing before I even read your post. There is nothing more uninspiring than people that regurgitate text books - I just feel sorry for these types.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »

"50 years from now you are going to do some thinking and come to realize there are 2 certainties in life: 1) Don't do that.  And 2) You dropped 150K on a f-ing education you could have got for $1.50 in late charges at your local library."

Carry on.  I was actually learning some things until racially insensitive started getting injected into things.

Great call.....and for those with short memories, the video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ymsHLkB8u3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ymsHLkB8u3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »
This Listerine Sting guy is awesome.   You have in a very short time realized that Chicos pretends to know everything about everything...yet in reality is a no nothing.  he simply likes to hear him self talk.  Listerine sting i will gladly buy you a beer anytime.  Your initial undressing of Chicos and calling him out has to be one of my favorite posts of all time.  Beers on me.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
Sorry but there is no sting in Listerine when you start using the race card and regurgitating the inner cover of textbooks. What a yawn ... look at what I learned! ME ME! 
I hope you also acquired something useful like caligraphy