collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thibodeau and Lebron  (Read 6915 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Thibodeau and Lebron
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »
Besides the wet dream scenario of Phil jackson, Thibodeau was tops on my list of coaches I wanted the Bulls to pick up.  There is probably a reason the Celts thought of him as a career assistant but I never understood it.

Quote from Adrian Wojnarowski's excellent Yahoo report
http://tinyurl.com/2b6av7y
on the stars seemingly aligning for LeBron to sign with Chicago this summer: "It wasn’t until Tom Thibodeau – who swore he never again wanted an agent – signed with William Wesley’s CAA that the Chicago Bulls grew serious about the  coach’s candidacy. Something pushed Bulls officials to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles on the eve of the NBA Finals and meet with the Boston Celtics assistant coach. Within 48 hours, the Bulls had a deal for Thibodeau to become their head coach. For several weeks, the Bulls had chances to interview him. They never did." 

I'm hesitant to post this since it contains references to a political figure whom many TV pundents decide to compair to hitler but here are some Bill Simmons inferences on what it could mean regarding lebron:

sportsguy33:   1. LeBron repped by Leon Rose (CAA), Bosh repped by Henry Thomas (CAA). LeBron's mentor? Uncle Wes (aka, William Wesley). 

sportsguy33:   2: This spring, Uncle Wes becomes a CAA agent for college/pro coaches. Quietly signed Boston assistant Tom Thibodeau a few weeks ago. 

sportsguy33:   3: Thibodeau = longtime mentor of Sec. of Education Arne Duncan (big Bulls fan, once Chi. supe of schools). http://tinyurl.com/2eklsc3 

sportsguy33:   4: Duncan = buddies with boss Barack Obama (also a big Bulls fan, on record as hoping LBJ goes there), they play pickup hoops together all the time. 

sportsguy33:   5: Jerry Reinsdorf = Bulls owner and unabashed Obama suckup.

sportsguy33:   6. Thibodeau signs with Wes. Never mentioned for vacant Bulls job until a few days ago. Gets it within 72 hours.

sportsguy33:   7. Connect the Bulls dots: Lebron > Wes > Thibodeau > Duncan > Obama. You're telling me Obama/Duncan aren't quite possibly maybe a little bit involved with influencing in the LBJ Sweepstakes this summer if he becomes a Bull? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

I've seen a few other articles saying the same thing minus obama references.  And Yes, I understand that being excited about the possibility of something good happening for my team and that team not being located in WI makes me an pretty boy.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Thibodeau and Lebron
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
But somewhere along the line, Lebron would have indicated that he wanted Thibodeau right?  Why would he want him?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:36:21 PM »
But somewhere along the line, Lebron would have indicated that he wanted Thibodeau right?  Why would he want him?

Because WWW said so.

I was kind of hoping the Bulls would hire a coach before July 1 to force LeBron to decide if he wanted to play for a guy instead of hand picking his coach/having his coach handpicked for him.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:05:45 PM »
Because WWW said so.

But why would he care about that?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

But why would he care about that?

Because WWW is the NBA?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
Because WWW is the NBA?

OK...I guess Im not understanding this.

I know who WWW is, but I would think that if LBJ didn't want Thibideau coaching his team, it really wouldn't matter what WWW thought.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »

I know who WWW is, but I would think that if LBJ didn't want Thibideau coaching his team, it really wouldn't matter what WWW thought.

I'm pretty much with you, but WWW carries an influence larger than LBJ himself, at least it seems that way.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:49:46 AM »

LBJ only wants what Wes tells him to want.  If Wes tells him today that the best option for Lebron is to sign with the Bucks you'll see Lebron in a green/red/white uniform next year.  His influence on Lebron, or for that matter his influence on basketball in this country as a whole can't really be overstated.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:35:24 AM »
LBJ only wants what Wes tells him to want.  If Wes tells him today that the best option for Lebron is to sign with the Bucks you'll see Lebron in a green/red/white uniform next year.  His influence on Lebron, or for that matter his influence on basketball in this country as a whole can't really be overstated.

Except by Wes himself, who will only understate it.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »
Personally I think this is a bit of a reach to try and connect a few things.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »

But who ever said lebron doesn't want to work for him? 
People are infering that lebron does want Thibideau coaching the team. 
Wes had been in touch with Lebron for months.  Talked to him about Thibideau, at some point, in the past few months.  Then picked him up as a client and told the bulls that he was someone Lebron would be interested in working with.  All of a sudden there was interest in a coach the bulls weren't looking at earlier.  Of course that could have just been a ploy to get a client a head coaching job...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »
But who ever said lebron doesn't want to work for him? 
People are infering that lebron does want Thibideau coaching the team. 
Wes had been in touch with Lebron for months.  Talked to him about Thibideau, at some point, in the past few months.  Then picked him up as a client and told the bulls that he was someone Lebron would be interested in working with.  All of a sudden there was interest in a coach the bulls weren't looking at earlier.  Of course that could have just been a ploy to get a client a head coaching job...

Thibodeau was getting a head coach position no matter what this year. They could have possibly used Lebron's name to get him a better position with the Bulls.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
Besides the wet dream scenario of Phil jackson, Thibodeau was tops on my list of coaches I wanted the Bulls to pick up.  There is probably a reason the Celts thought of him as a career assistant but I never understood it.

Quote from Adrian Wojnarowski's excellent Yahoo report
http://tinyurl.com/2b6av7y
on the stars seemingly aligning for LeBron to sign with Chicago this summer: "It wasn’t until Tom Thibodeau – who swore he never again wanted an agent – signed with William Wesley’s CAA that the Chicago Bulls grew serious about the  coach’s candidacy. Something pushed Bulls officials to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles on the eve of the NBA Finals and meet with the Boston Celtics assistant coach. Within 48 hours, the Bulls had a deal for Thibodeau to become their head coach. For several weeks, the Bulls had chances to interview him. They never did." 

I'm hesitant to post this since it contains references to a political figure whom many TV pundents decide to compair to hitler but here are some Bill Simmons inferences on what it could mean regarding lebron:

sportsguy33:   1. LeBron repped by Leon Rose (CAA), Bosh repped by Henry Thomas (CAA). LeBron's mentor? Uncle Wes (aka, William Wesley). 

sportsguy33:   2: This spring, Uncle Wes becomes a CAA agent for college/pro coaches. Quietly signed Boston assistant Tom Thibodeau a few weeks ago. 

sportsguy33:   3: Thibodeau = longtime mentor of Sec. of Education Arne Duncan (big Bulls fan, once Chi. supe of schools). http://tinyurl.com/2eklsc3 

sportsguy33:   4: Duncan = buddies with boss Barack Obama (also a big Bulls fan, on record as hoping LBJ goes there), they play pickup hoops together all the time. 

sportsguy33:   5: Jerry Reinsdorf = Bulls owner and unabashed Obama suckup.

sportsguy33:   6. Thibodeau signs with Wes. Never mentioned for vacant Bulls job until a few days ago. Gets it within 72 hours.

sportsguy33:   7. Connect the Bulls dots: Lebron > Wes > Thibodeau > Duncan > Obama. You're telling me Obama/Duncan aren't quite possibly maybe a little bit involved with influencing in the LBJ Sweepstakes this summer if he becomes a Bull? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

I've seen a few other articles saying the same thing minus obama references.  And Yes, I understand that being excited about the possibility of something good happening for my team and that team not being located in WI makes me an pretty boy.
Not surprising about Obama--he is an expert on everything--just ask him!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »
When the Pacers/Pistons fight broke out in the crowd in Detroit, WWW was there holding back players. WWW also gave Kayne West his break in the music business.  He's power doesn't just span the sporting world. 

The Bulls hired Thibodeau with the sole purpose of signing Lebron.  At the press conference where they annouced the firing of Vinny Del Negro, they repeatedly said the next coach would have head coaching experience.

Why would they go against everything they said to the media?  Why not wait another week to talk to Phil or Doc? New Orleans was going to extend their deadline for Thibodeau so why not wait?

I have to assume they have word be it from WWW or someone else that Thibodeau is one of Lebron's guys.

At worst the Bulls don't get Lebron and they have a decent assistant coach with loads of experience.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Thibodeau was getting a head coach position no matter what this year. They could have possibly used Lebron's name to get him a better position with the Bulls.
This is contrary to everything I've read/heard.  Especially with the likes of Avery Johnson, Byron Scott, Jeff Van Gundy out there everything I've read said this was a reach and he wasn't considered a head coach candidate really anywhere.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
OK...thanks for the info.

I guess I just don't understand why Lebron would be swayed by him to such a great extent.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »
Why doesn't WWW just tell the NCAA how they should realign so we can end that speculation as well?!
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
This is contrary to everything I've read/heard.  Especially with the likes of Avery Johnson, Byron Scott, Jeff Van Gundy out there everything I've read said this was a reach and he wasn't considered a head coach candidate really anywhere

Thibodeau, considered one of the NBA's top defensive minds, was also a candidate for jobs in New Orleans and New Jersey. (per CBS sports and many others)

He had already been interview in New Orleans, I think.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396787-tom-thibodeau-leading-candidate-for-new-orleans-hornets-job
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »
Thibodeau, considered one of the NBA's top defensive minds, was also a candidate for jobs in New Orleans and New Jersey. (per CBS sports and many others)

He had already been interview in New Orleans, I think.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396787-tom-thibodeau-leading-candidate-for-new-orleans-hornets-job
Yeah I looked around a little after I posted and saw the same thing. I don't see him as a great hire for the Bulls unless it does indeed get them LBJ, then it's simply perfect.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
Yeah I looked around a little after I posted and saw the same thing. I don't see him as a great hire for the Bulls unless it does indeed get them LBJ, then it's simply perfect.

I don't see Avery Johnson, Byron Scott & JVG as even decent hires.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
Lebron's pick for head coach aside, my preferred order of Bulls coach would be:

1) Phil or Doc
2) Experienced assistant coach (Tibbs)
3) NBA head coach retread

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

This is what the Bulls do, though.  Skiles was their only hire with NBA head coaching experience since 1986.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »
Avery Johnson is going to coach the Nets.

Mich. St. AD said he is ready to hire a coach "right now" if Izzo leaves.

Jud Heathcote said the only way Izzo leaves to the Cavs is if it is guaranteed LeBron will be there.

For what it is worth.

Go Hawks.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
  Do the Bulls have enough $ to sign Lebron and Ray Allen? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
  Do the Bulls have enough $ to sign Lebron and Ray Allen? 

Yes, and that's without needing a sign and trade deal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback