'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Wooden....passed away today (per Washington Post). RIP  (Read 9314 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: John Wooden....passed away today (per Washington Post). RIP
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
ESPN just reported that Wooden is resting comfortably.....maybe we should park this one for a while.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
Would have been much easier just to say no contact by Gilbert. Remember, there were no e-mails, no twitter, no cell phones, no Facebook/Internet in those days. Wooden could easily have cut off contact and/or access by keeping Gilbert off campus. He failed to do so.  In essence, he simply looked the other way. 

The rules were much different back then....let's not for a second think that MU didn't have a few Sam Gilberts as well.

There wasn't a whole lot Wooden could do.  He forbid his players from interacting with them, refused to interact with Gilbert himself.  Unfortunately, where there is a will there is a way, and Sam went around Wooden in many instances.  Walton has admitted this on several occasions when interviewed about it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
ESPN just reported that Wooden is resting comfortably.....maybe we should park this one for a while.

The Washington Post was wrong.....words fail me. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »
http://carnageandculture.blogspot.com/2006/04/adrian-wojnarowski-ucls-tainted.html
Jerry Tarkanian begs to differ.

It's kind of funny when Tarkanian is your chief source for an ethics charge...just sayin.  

Oh, and your link doesn't work.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:01:25 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »
We really should wait, oh, five more years before we can make those bold statements.  

Why, he's proved it over 99 years, not over 2.  Thus the difference.

EPIC FAIL on that attempt of yours

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
In movie Serendipity, the obituary writer tells cusack that the Greeks never eulogized the dead, and asked but one question:
Did he have passion?...
Coach W's passion for teaching, basketball and for doing it and everything else the "right" way (see his Pyramid of success), is unequaled.
great coach, ...even better man
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

schubert33

• Starter
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:45:21 PM by schubert33 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »
In movie Serendipity, the obituary writer tells cusack that the Greeks never eulogized the dead, and asked but one question:

Piven.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 04:30:22 PM »
It's kind of funny when Tarkanian is your chief source for an ethics charge...just sayin.  

Oh, and your link doesn't work.   ;)
Just the first link I clicked on.  Just Google up Sam Gilbert and you find plenty more.  Others may have had their Sam Gilberts, but Sam was the ultimate role model.  Chicos, I'm with you most of the tiem; but, Gilbert is just something else.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
Just the first link I clicked on.  Just Google up Sam Gilbert and you find plenty more.  Others may have had their Sam Gilberts, but Sam was the ultimate role model.  Chicos, I'm with you most of the tiem; but, Gilbert is just something else.

No question Sam was a Playa.  Maybe everyone is protecting Wooden, but to a man, players, assistant coaches, etc, all say Wooden was not only anti-Gilbert, but tried to keep him at bay.  Yes, they could be protecting him, not sure anyone will ever know.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
Re: John Wooden....IS STILL ALIVE
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »
Hey Chicos

Wooden is alive and resting in the hospital.  Only you could start a thread like this.  Hey isn't that Tan Tomboy tweeting you. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

Why, he's proved it over 99 years, not over 2.  Thus the difference.

EPIC FAIL on that attempt of yours

99 years? Must have stared coaching as a very young man.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
LC, go back and read the first post.
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »
Hey Chicos

Wooden is alive and resting in the hospital.  Only you could start a thread like this.  Hey isn't that Tan Tomboy tweeting you.  

LC, maybe you should read the edit in the first very post that shows the Washington Post, who originally said he was dead, then said he wasn't (another reason to like the ComPost).   I edited the original post within 10 minutes of positing it.  

Reading, try it sometime, including the edits.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
99 years? Must have stared coaching as a very young man.

Uhm, Lenny....I said he was a great human being

MOWarrior went on a tangent and said I should wait another 5 years to make that statement (obviously trying to make a parallel with my statement on coaching greatness and waiting at least 5 years). 

So back on point, no need to wait 5 years since the topic on hand was his greatness as a human being, which he has proved for 99 years (each year he was a human being).     

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
Uhm, Lenny....I said he was a great human being

MOWarrior went on a tangent and said I should wait another 5 years to make that statement (obviously trying to make a parallel with my statement on coaching greatness and waiting at least 5 years). 

So back on point, no need to wait 5 years since the topic on hand was his greatness as a human being, which he has proved for 99 years (each year he was a human being).     

Sorry for not using teal, but it saddens me you would assume that MOWarrior and I weren't going for a little light hearted humor. I agree that Wooden was a great human being, though I don't think he did that much to prove it until he was at least 3 years old ;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »
People say the guy is a "great human being" because he's 99 years old. He may be a fantastic guy, but he's not John Paul II, here. Give me a break.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
Sorry for not using teal, but it saddens me you would assume that MOWarrior and I weren't going for a little light hearted humor. I agree that Wooden was a great human being, though I don't think he did that much to prove it until he was at least 3 years old ;D

I apologize.  I should not have responded to your post after reading LC Dutchman's.  Honestly, I thought I had the guy on ignore but somehow that setting was taken off.  Won't make that mistake again.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
Just a fun little jab, that's all.  John Wooden was a great man.  He deserves all the respect we give him.  He was a winner of course, but what a gentleman as well.  A mentor to so many people, and when you consider the greats in whatever profession you can think of--soldier, statesman, etc--there's really no one who defined his profession any better than he did, or set the standard any higher.  I teased Chicos a little earlier, but I completely share his sentiment about coach Wooden.  I have here that very article that Chicos cited from SI about his wife Nell.  Back before hard drives, I thought it was a good article and made a copy of it and slipped it into a scrapbook, and have had it for 20 years.  So I very much share Chicos' appreciation for coach Wooden, absolutely.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:14:10 PM by MOwarrior »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »
Front page of ESPN.com is saying that he has died. Sad news. I don't know much about him outside of being an outstanding coach but it seems like he was an amazing person based on what others have said here and other things I've heard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
Is it inappropriate to speculate on potential pallbearers? I'm figuring Alcindor, Walton, Allen, Goodrich, Wilkes Chicos, and Bibby all make the cut.

fixed.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:14 PM »
Front page of ESPN.com is saying that he has died. Sad news. I don't know much about him outside of being an outstanding coach but it seems like he was an amazing person based on what others have said here and other things I've heard.

And here I was just about to change the title of this thread.  RIP.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 11:43:38 PM »
People say the guy is a "great human being" because he's 99 years old. He may be a fantastic guy, but he's not John Paul II, here. Give me a break.

PRN, he truly was an incredible human being and they've been saying that for decades, not just because he's 99.  I think you do not know what you are talking about on this one.  He is a Norman Rockwell painting.  

Below may help a bit.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5249546&categoryid=2378529

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5249797&categoryid=2378529

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ358_YrFAM&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:31:17 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:53:14 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
Best word of wisdom from Wooden, "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."  Brilliant man in the ways of the world.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain