[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Blackhawks  (Read 49983 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Blackhawks
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
I can't rip on the Hawks because my team is from another state?  uhhhhh... okay?

I think maybe he is saying you can't rip on the people that aren't lifers because Wis doesn't have a hockey team of its own for you to root for?  That is what I got for the MU vs Alabama BCS analogy.  

How can you rip on something you don't a)know anything about or b) have a "dog in the fight."

But I could be wrong.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
and no, it still isn't a perfect analogy.

I can't rip on the Hawks because my team is from another state?  uhhhhh... okay?
Sure it is.

Which part doesn't match?  The part with one team/program having a ton of tradition, the other group having no team to even speak of in the sport, the part with that team having some dark years before coming back and achieving the ultimate goal or the part with the team winning the most recent championship in their sport?  

Yes, I understand one is college the other pro and the sports are different....humor me.

I never said people can't rip on the Blackhawks (as ridiculous is that is the day after winning the Stanley Cup)....all I said was that the WI people are in a "challenging situation".....for many reasons....but part of that could mean that people from WI have no choice but to cheer for/select a team from another city/state if they care to follow the NHL....is that not true?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
Sure it is.

Which part doesn't match?  The part with one team/program having a ton of tradition, the other group having no team to even speak of in the sport, the part with that team having some dark years before coming back and achieving the ultimate goal or the part with the team winning the most recent championship in their sport?  

Yes, I understand one is college the other pro and the sports are different....humor me.

I never said people can't rip on the Blackhawks (as ridiculous is that is the day after winning the Stanley Cup)....all I said was that the WI people are in a "challenging situation".....for many reasons....but part of that could mean that people from WI have no choice but to cheer for/select a team from another city/state if they care to follow the NHL....is that not true?

Okay, so you are saying that people from WI, who don't claim a team, just rip on the fair weather Hawk's fans because they are from Chicago?

Of course.

I still don't really understand the analogy ;)

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
As a Blackhawks fan I'm really torn on the new found love of the Hawks in this city.  If it stays like this I will have no problem with it but I felt the same way when the Sox won.  Great, you're a fan now, are you still going to be a fan when we have an off year?  I know its self righteous to make that argument but these are MY teams good or bad, I still watch them, cheer them on, and pay attention to them when they are doing terrible because they are MY teams.  So don't claim that the Hawks are YOUR team as well if you're not willing to stick it out in the tough times like so VERY few of us did in the last 15 yrs. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
Isn't that the definition of a fair weather fan?  Someone who pays attention when the team is good, and when they are bad they forget about them?

I was mostly referring to attendance being way down.  You protest the way the team is being run by not attending the games.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »
I was mostly referring to attendance being way down.  You protest the way the team is being run by not attending the games.

ehhhhhhhh but the two are necessarily linked.  You protest the way the team is being run because they aren't winning, and you do this by not going to games.

As I said earlier, or in another thread, if the Hawks were winning, but weren't on TV, people would still go to the games... not the other way around.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
ehhhhhhhh but the two are necessarily linked.  You protest the way the team is being run because they aren't winning, and you do this by not going to games.

As I said earlier, or in another thread, if the Hawks were winning, but weren't on TV, people would still go to the games... not the other way around.

Yes, but in this specific case, where Wirtz was specifically keeping games off TV in order to drive ticket sales, you protest that nonsense by never going to games.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
If MU lacrosse won a national title there would be a lot of band wagon on this site from Wisconsin.   Where does this snobdum end.

I only watch playoff nba, mlb, nhl.  I just don't have the time to watch regular season games.  But I don't buy Jerseys or team apparel so hopefully the good people from Wisconsin won't hate me to much.

Kane is giving his speech on ESPN 1000.  Go blackhawks! We're number one!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
If MU lacrosse won a national title there would be a lot of band wagon on this site from Wisconsin.   Where does this snobdum end.

I only watch playoff nba, mlb, nhl.  I just don't have the time to watch regular season games.  But I don't buy Jerseys or team apparel so hopefully the good people from Wisconsin won't hate me to much.

Kane is giving his speech on ESPN 1000.  Go blackhawks! We're number one!

Don't hate fair weathers, just hate that they pretend they aren't.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
Don't hate fair weathers, just hate that they pretend they aren't.

Bingo. I didn't think this was that hard of a concept. Apparently I was wrong.

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
I'm so done with all these posers. I'm terribly irritated by these Chicagoans on the 'hawks bandwagon. Real;ly people? did you go to a game 4 years ago when they were the worst franchise is all of sports? Yup, didn't think so.

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
I'm so done with all these posers. I'm terribly irritated by these Chicagoans on the 'hawks bandwagon. Real;ly people? did you go to a game 4 years ago when they were the worst franchise is all of sports? Yup, didn't think so.

How do you think the very few of us who DID go to these games feel though.  I've kept every ticket from every concert/sporting event I've been too.  I double checked and this is the first year I was unable to go at least 1 game.  Multiple games a for many years before that too.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
How do you think the very few of us who DID go to these games feel though.  I've kept every ticket from every concert/sporting event I've been too.  I double checked and this is the first year I was unable to go at least 1 game.  Multiple games a for many years before that too.

so basically, your attendance of games every year was keeping them from winning the cup.

glad we solved that mystery!

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
so basically, your attendance of games every year was keeping them from winning the cup.

glad we solved that mystery!

I'll take one for the team.  Just wasn't in the cards this year.  Especially with how hard it became to get tickets this season.  Had the money to pay 3x face last year, didn't this year.  At least they were on TV though...

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »
I said the extent of front-running is a lot higher.  Hawks were 29th (next to last) in attendance to 1st in 3 years.  High correlation with record.  As I stated, with winning there is always attendancce upside, but 29th to 1st in 3 years.  Come on.   As a percentage of population, Bucks and Brewers probably draw better.

Same thing happened with the Bears too, until they downsized to the smallest stadium in the league, (for the 3rd largest city in USA).

It's pretty obvious that you have no idea about the history of the Blackhawks over the past 15 years.  While the fans came back to the team much quicker than expected because of the team improving and having some star power, it was going to happen when "old man Wirtz" kicked the bucket.  From my perspective, the fans started turning a back on the Blackhawks when they traded Roenick for salary reasons... Chelios was next to go.  Then Hawkvision (a paper view subscription to be able to watch the Hawks) pissed off more fans.  Blacking out the home games were the last straw for most.
MU rara...  there's alot more to it than front running.  That's an insult to a town that has averaged the top attendance through many lean years since Jordan left.  An insult to Cub and Sox fans despite 100 + years of not winning the big one.  I love Wisconsin and Milwaukee... but I'm not gonna insult your Brewers and Bucks fans.  But I have to admit... I can't stand the Packers!  But that's because I'm a Bears fan (regardless if we win or lose), not unlike Chicago's phenomenal sports fans.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Defeinitely got sick of reading all the Facebook updates from those I went to MU with about how excited they are about the Hawks, how they wanted to get together and watch the games, and all that baloney.  When we were at MU just a few years ago these people either never mentioned hockey or the Blackhawks or ripped how how stupid hockey was whenver I would mention it or be watching a game.  For that organization that turned itself around to perfection in a short time and for the fans who knew they didn't just get a team in April, congrats.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
Can someone please start pointing out these fans who walk around saying that they have been going to hawks games for the last 6 years and have not?  I think that people from milwuakee invent this bs fan who doesn't exist and then claim they know 100's personally so they can have an excuse to get mad at them.

So what if someone goes out to the bar and gets wasted during a Stanley cup playoff game and they never watched a hockey game before.  Why does that bother you so much?  Who cares if some 19 year old hi-fives another 19 year old and they didn't follow hockey when they were 15.  So f'ing what?

Your state and every state that wins a title this year will be full of the same.  You just make up garbage about people from chicago because of your inferiority complex.  Pathetic really.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
Can someone please start pointing out these fans who walk around saying that they have been going to hawks games for the last 6 years and have not?  I think that people from milwuakee invent this bs fan who doesn't exist and then claim they know 100's personally so they can have an excuse to get mad at them.

I have around 25 people who posted about the Blackhawks on my facebook friends list, who never ONCE mentioned them prior to the playoffs.  We aren't inventing people, maybe your eyes are just closed.

So what if someone goes out to the bar and gets wasted during a Stanley cup playoff game and they never watched a hockey game before.  Why does that bother you so much?  Who cares if some 19 year old hi-fives another 19 year old and they didn't follow hockey when they were 15.  So f'ing what?
I don't care!  But when I call you a fair weather fan, admit that you are... that is the problem.

our state and every state that wins a title this year will be full of the same.  You just make up garbage about people from chicago because of your inferiority complex.  Pathetic really.
I always hear from Chicagoans, that people from Wisconsin have this huge inferiority complex... but it doesn't make sense.  Your sports teams are historically HORRIBLE.  Additionally, if I was so jealous of Chicago, wouldn't I just move there and pretend I was a fan of all the sports?  It isn't like there is some special password to get into the city for Christ's sake.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »
 The difference between larger cities and smaller cities in terms of sports is how much ticket prices increase when your team is doing well. Last year when the Hawks played the Flames at the UC I paid $100 a ticket for the very top row for a game, I can't imagine that in cities like Nashville and Milwaukee that you would have to pay even half that. Not as much demand, due to population and other factors.

I am not happy that that is the way it is, but the Hawks doubled season ticket prices at the end of the last two seasons and it will double again after the success of this season. A guy at work who has had season tickets for 10 years now is getting rid of his season tickets because of the cost increase. Money rules all.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »
  Your sports teams are historically HORRIBLE.  Additionally, if I was so jealous of Chicago, wouldn't I just move there and pretend I was a fan of all the sports?  It isn't like there is some special password to get into the city for Christ's sake.

That isn't what i'm talking about at all.  I didn't mean to suggest you want to move there. 

If there was a Curling league and Wisconsin had a team, but chicago did not, and Wisconsin won a national title, I would post something congratulatory.  This is because I grew up in a place that had a neighbor to the north, which made delicious cheese, had good vacations spots and a football team that was our rival. (truth)

You do research on attendance figures and then use them in some crap attempt to attack the validity of the good time that someone is getting out of a national championship.  That is because you grew up in a place that had an evil neighbor to the south filled with people who are rude, cheated, drove too fast and too slow and you'd rather have a bed and breakfast in your state close, than have one of them drive past your house to get there. (complex)

And seriously, complain because your FRIENDS used a SOCIAL networking sit to interact with you?!  You realize that is what guys do.  Did you grow up with a bunch of sisters? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
That isn't what i'm talking about at all.  I didn't mean to suggest you want to move there. 

If there was a Curling league and Wisconsin had a team, but chicago did not, and Wisconsin won a national title, I would post something congratulatory.  This is because I grew up in a place that had a neighbor to the north, which made delicious cheese, had good vacations spots and a football team that was our rival. (truth)

You do research on attendance figures and then use them in some crap attempt to attack the validity of the good time that someone is getting out of a national championship.  That is because you grew up in a place that had an evil neighbor to the south filled with people who are rude, cheated, drove too fast and too slow and you'd rather have a bed and breakfast in your state close, than have one of them drive past your house to get there. (complex)

And seriously, complain because your FRIENDS used a SOCIAL networking sit to interact with you?!  You realize that is what guys do.  Did you grow up with a bunch of sisters? 

I don't have an hatred for anything Chicago, except the sports teams.  I don't bring the dumb stereotype stuff up because that is what it is.

I'm not complaining, I'd call out my DC friends for being fair weather for doing the same thing.  You are the one who seems to think that it has anything to do with Chicago.  I just happen to have a lot of friends from there, who claim to be life long Hawks fans, when I know they haven't mentioned a word about them since I met them.  I call shenannigans on that, and if you want to try to make me feel like a jerk for doing it, go ahead.  It won't stop me from doing it.

I'm not complaining that they are using the social network site to interact with me, I'm complaining that they are a bunch of fair weather fans who hate being called out for being fair weather fans, when that is clearly what they are.  A lot of them seem to have similar responses to you... like "back off", "you're just jealous", and my favorite one is, "I have lived in Chicago my entire life and I am not entitled to cheer for the home team?"... of course you are, just expect to be called a fair weather fan... not that there's anything wrong with it.  ;D

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
You specified chicago in several posts as being worse than other places, so don't put that on me.

"not that there's anything wrong with it."  If there is nothing wrong with it, why do you bring it up?  You can't use it as an insult and then get mad at them for being defensive.   
How do you expect anyone to react?  Or people in this thread? 
Everyone hates when they say: "woo hoo. we won."  And someone says: "your're a fair weather fan."  That is an insult. 

The guy who asked if he's allowed to cheer for the home team wasn't even dening he was fair weather.  The answer to his question is: Yes, he is allowed.  So why call him out if you think "not that there's anything wrong with it." 

But to protect myself from people thinking that way about me I will now be posting: "God damn it _____"  Every time a chicago team gets eliminated from a shot at the playoff.  That way you'll know that i'm not a fair weather fan even though I don't watch any games.  ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »
You specified chicago in several posts as being worse than other places, so don't put that on me.

"not that there's anything wrong with it."  If there is nothing wrong with it, why do you bring it up?  You can't use it as an insult and then get mad at them for being defensive.    
How do you expect anyone to react?  Or people in this thread?  
Everyone hates when they say: "woo hoo. we won."  And someone says: "your're a fair weather fan."  That is an insult.  

The guy who asked if he's allowed to cheer for the home team wasn't even dening he was fair weather.  The answer to his question is: Yes, he is allowed.  So why call him out if you think "not that there's anything wrong with it."  

But to protect myself from people thinking that way about me I will now be posting: "God damn it _____"  Every time a chicago team gets eliminated from a shot at the playoff.  That way you'll know that i'm not a fair weather fan even though I don't watch any games.  ;)

How is it an insult?  It is a description of a person who only cares about the team when they are good.  If they disagree, they are welcome to back it up.  Otherwise, you know what they say... if the shoe fits, wear it.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it" is the funny part.  I tell my fair weather fan friends that it isn't a big deal, and it happens everywhere...yet they still feel the need to defend their fandom and Chicago as a whole.  I just find the whole thing pretty funny... As you said in your previous post, "Did you grow up with a bunch of sisters?"  Take the cold accurate ribbing for what it is, and don't get bent out of shape about it, Chicago.

oh, and for the record, I am not calling you, specifically, a FWF.  I am calling the people I know and went to school with FWFs... People who I have known for years, who didn't care about the Hawks until they were good.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:55:49 PM by Hards_Alumni »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2010, 01:03:10 PM »
I understand that you are not referring to me and just making generalizations about people from my city of origin.

I think we've about beaten this to death  but I'm going to have to stand by my point of: if you didn't think it was an insult you wouldn't use it like one. 

I don't see why you are assuming i'm bent out of shape.  If people get to you so easily that you feel the need to try and look up attendance figures to prove some point I think it's fair to ask if you grew up with a bunch of girls... Not that there is anything wrong with that.

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
the blackhawks five minutes are.....up.

moving on.....

feedback