[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Blackhawks  (Read 49988 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Blackhawks
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »
A better test might be to ask the 'fans' to name 5 players from the '92 Cup team.

This all remids me of my Junior year at MU (2002-2003) when all of the Bears fans came out of hibernation for the season.  Flags and brand new hats and jerseys were everywhere.  Then next year rolled around and for some reason all of the signs and hats and jerseys were stashed back in the closet. 

I realize it happens with every fan base, but for some reason a lot of Chicago fans refuse to admit that it happens in Chicago.  I also realize that no matter the sport there are always the lifers who will proclaim they are lifers... to which I only need reply, "I know you are, but I'm not accusing you of anything."  For some reason they feel the need to come to the defense of all the fairweather fans and pretend they would have been lifers because of reason x, y, and z.  When in reality, the people are fairweathers because they ARE FAIRWEATHERS.

My sophomore year (2003-2004) all of a sudden there were a TON of Cubs fans then they collapse in the playoffs and a year later (if I'm remembering correctly), all those Cubs fans became White Sox fans because they were CHICAGO fans. 

Yeah right.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
My second favorite sports moment in college was that Cubs meltdown.  With every run, you could hear the Cubs fans cheering and jerking each other off... I lived in a house that abutts the alley between 15th and 16th, so I could hear it all.  I wonder if they heard me cheer when they were bounced from the playoffs.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
My sophomore year (2003-2004) all of a sudden there were a TON of Cubs fans then they collapse in the playoffs and a year later (if I'm remembering correctly), all those Cubs fans became White Sox fans because they were CHICAGO fans.  

Yeah right.

I agree with you entirely on the fair weatherdom. When Boston won it all everyone at MU had Boston gear on, I mean really...But there are fans that don't shout from the rooftops when there team is doing good.

Seeing Roenick get teary eyed at the fact that the Hawks won it, and he wanted to do it in Chicago pretty much sums up how bad the Hawks suffered not only in his later years with the Hawks but until 2007 when Chicago returned to hockey.

People forget that hockey was locked out in 2005, and no games were played. As a Hawks fan and hockey fan this is good for the sport. There aren't to many hockey fans in my generation as the Bulls were the team when I was younger, so theres a generation gap in terms of hockey in Chicago.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »
I realize it happens with every fan base, but for some reason a lot of Chicago fans refuse to admit that it happens in Chicago.  I also realize that no matter the sport there are always the lifers who will proclaim they are lifers... to which I only need reply, "I know you are, but I'm not accusing you of anything."  For some reason they feel the need to come to the defense of all the fairweather fans and pretend they would have been lifers because of reason x, y, and z.  When in reality, the people are fairweathers because they ARE FAIRWEATHERS.

But in the end this is about Wisconsin vs Chicago, Good vs Evil, Cheeseheads vs the FIB motherland.  That's what I thought.  ;)

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:58 AM »
A better test might be to ask the 'fans' to name 5 players from the '92 Cup team.

This all remids me of my Junior year at MU (2002-2003) when all of the Bears fans came out of hibernation for the season.  Flags and brand new hats and jerseys were everywhere.  Then next year rolled around and for some reason all of the signs and hats and jerseys were stashed back in the closet. 

I don't know of any "real fan" who defends bandwagon fans who claim to be lifelong fans. Most real fans find bandwagon fans just as insufferable as you do.

That being said, bandwagon fans also remind of, oh, several weeks ago when a bunch of Bucks fans all of a sudden appeared in Milwaukee. Or what about when the Brewers made the playoffs and, out of no where, everyone was a lifelong Brewers fan? It happens everywhere, including Chicago, but just because you hate Chicago teams, that doesn't mean it happens there more often than any place else.

I'll be the first to admit that I was a hockey fan as a youth, lost interest for a long while and came back to the sport in the last couple years. I'm thrilled that the Blackhawks won, not because of my fandom, but because of all the die-hards out there who stuck with this team even while Bill Wirtz was destroying it. Those people deserve to see their team win the Cup.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »
I'll be the first to admit that I was a hockey fan as a youth, lost interest for a long while and came back to the sport in the last couple years. I'm thrilled that the Blackhawks won, not because of my fandom, but because of all the die-hards out there who stuck with this team even while Bill Wirtz was destroying it. Those people deserve to see their team win the Cup.
I don't really understand the big problem that everyone has with bandwagon fans anyway, but this really is a special case because of what you just wrote above.  Sure there are a lot of people just cheering because they won, but there are also many, many people who were Hawks fans and drifted away because of the lunacy of Bill Wirtz' ownership.  I don't think you can really begrudge the people who stopped following a team that really didn't seem to care about them, and actually went out of its way to make being a fan harder.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
Their just pissed because they have to chear for the Minnesota Wild as their NHL team. Just like people in Indiana root for the White Sox.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
I don't know of any "real fan" who defends bandwagon fans who claim to be lifelong fans. Most real fans find bandwagon fans just as insufferable as you do.

That being said, bandwagon fans also remind of, oh, several weeks ago when a bunch of Bucks fans all of a sudden appeared in Milwaukee. Or what about when the Brewers made the playoffs and, out of no where, everyone was a lifelong Brewers fan? It happens everywhere, including Chicago, but just because you hate Chicago teams, that doesn't mean it happens there more often than any place else.

I don't think any rational person would disagree with you... which is why i said "every fan base".

And yes, I have met plenty of Chicago fans who defend the fairweathers by mentioning things like Bill Wirtz.  Don't try to defend the fairweather fans, with such things.  It may disenfranchise some people, but the vast majority don't even know who Bill Wirtz is, and would have been Hawks fans if the team was winning, regardless of who the owner was.

See what I'm saying?

I have had a torrid relationship with the Bucks for years.  They play great for the first month or two, only to tank it.  It kills me.  And even when they had the best team in the East in 2001, they don't get a legitimate shot because the NBA decided that the 76ers were a better fit for the finals (I don't really want to rehash this argument again, I am convinced and this is really about MY feelings towards the Bucks and the NBA).  

I really started caring about the Brewers back when County Stadium was months away from coming down.  I haven't been a lifer, but I did casually watch games in the 90's when there was nothing else on.  County Stadium was insufferable and I was extremely happy the day the AAA ballpark came down in Milwaukee.

I'd say my relationship with the Bucks and Brewers is that I expect them to fail, and watch them fail, but when they do well I get really excited only to watch the teams fall on their faces; or in the case of the 2001 Bucks, get pushed down on their faces.

Oh, and damuts222, I don't know a single Minnesota Wild fan in Wisconsin, and I've lived here most of my life.  Personally, I am a Wings fan.  On the other hand, I know PLENTY of Hawks fans from Wisconsin.  So please don't act like this is another "Wisconsin is jealous of Chicago" (newsflash, we aren't) thing.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
"Wisconsin is jealous of Chicago" (newsflash, we aren't) thing.
I know, just giving you a hard time.  Every team and every city is full of "fairweather johnsons" just waiting for the chance to root for a winner. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 10:11:34 AM »
Oh, and damuts222, I don't know a single Minnesota Wild fan in Wisconsin, and I've lived here most of my life.  Personally, I am a Wings fan.  On the other hand, I know PLENTY of Hawks fans from Wisconsin.  So please don't act like this is another "Wisconsin is jealous of Chicago" (newsflash, we aren't) thing.

I never said that Wisconsin is jealous of Chicago Hards, but people from Wisconsin root against most of the Chicago teams given that the Bucks and Brewers have rivalries with Chicago teams. I have no problem with that.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »
Also, being from Chicago I don't know why you would be jealous of Chicago because most of our teams until recently had some of the longest streaks since winning a title. The White Sox finally won, the Hawks won, the Bulls one multiple times, and the Cubs...wait til next year.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
They just hate Chicago, and can't stand the fact that ANY Chicago team one. Wubba Wubba  :'( GO BLACKHAWKS!!

Nobody who is a Blackhawks fan has to justify why and when they became a fan to anyone, who are you to cast judgement

Their just pissed because they have to chear for the Minnesota Wild as their NHL team. Just like people in Indiana root for the White Sox.

Geez, man. It really doesn't matter to most of us who "one" the Stanley Cup this year, or who "one" it last year. As far as hating when Chicago teams win, at least you hit that on the head. I met a fair amount of friends in Abbottsford three years ago from the Chicago area. In getting to know them, I obviously inquired about all of their sports interests at one point or another. Answers included: Cubs, Bears, White Sox, Bulls, U of I football, all backed up with posters, hats, jerseys and the like. Blackhawks? Not even a mention. Now? Jerseys, hats, and presumably Chelsea Dagger ringtones, all with a smug admittance that "they've been fans for awhile now". All I can do is shake my head. And if you think this is some rare, isolated case, I'll vehemently disagree with you.

Oh well, to each "there" own. If you've been a big supporter of that team, congrats on the championship, and enjoy the celebration.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
FYI "Chelsea Dagger" was cooler when it was an EPL thing... four years ago.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:45 AM »
To all die hard Blackhawk lifers....Congratulations.   To the bandwagon jumpers, well.....

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
To all die hard Blackhawk lifers....Congratulations.

Thank You.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
What an unbelievable season!  The atmosphere in the city last night was incredible.  A very fitting end with Kane's goal sealing the deal in OT.  The parade will be the perfect kickoff to the weekend.

Here's to many more!

Go Hawks!!

p.s. Hawks/Chicago fans....it may be best to not get wrapped up in any back-and-forth and ignore the WI people who have nothing better to do than rip on Chicago fans at this point......think of their situation....it would be challenging.  e.g. It would be pretty pointless and embarrassing for MU fans to rip on Alabama fans for winning the BCS. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
Do people have problems with "bandwagon" fans or just people who put on the appearance of being a fan because it is cool?

I could not have named a Blackhawk player (besides Kane) before about 3-4 weeks ago.  The last two weeks however, I was all in.  Every goal they scored, I yelled, every opponent's goal I swore (when my nine year old wasn't in the room).  It was a blast.  I enjoyed the last few weeks a ton.

However, I didn't go out and buy a Blackhawks jersey (yes, I know it is called a sweater) to say, "look at me, I'm part of the cool kids group!".  I just enjoyed it like I would if any of my teams were playing for a championship.  Does that make me a fairweather fan?  Who cares?  I enjoyed it while it lasted.  I am not in it to impress people that I chose to root for a team that was winning.

Now if/when the Cubs ever do win a World Series, I will be the first to point out that I have been a Cubs fan since I was 5 and have watched/listened to more games than I care to count.  And all you fairweather Cubs fans can go (@P*#$&@()*... ;D

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
MUEng92... you just admitted it in full confidence. That's all I ask for. I'm glad you enjoyed the playoffs, and maybe hockey (and the Blackhawks in particular) gained you and a bunch of other new fans over the past few weeks.

There's no problem with that. I said in another thread that the Milwaukee Bucks had to do the same to regain my support. But gosh, the facade that was put on by a lot of Blackhawks fans (maybe just 21/22 year olds - I don't know) over the past few months was amusing to say the least.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
p.s. Hawks/Chicago fans....it may be best to not get wrapped up in any back-and-forth and ignore the WI people who have nothing better to do than rip on Chicago fans at this point......think of their situation....it would be challenging.  e.g. It would be pretty pointless and embarrassing for MU fans to rip on Alabama fans for winning the BCS. 

I'm from WI, and my chosen team won it last year... so no, it isn't challenging.

Strange analogy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
I'm from WI, and my chosen team won it last year... so no, it isn't challenging.

Strange analogy.

Now you're a Penguins fan?  So much for Red Wing loyalty.  Some fan you are  :)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 01:18:29 PM »

Strange analogy.
It was a perfect analogy...except I left out how much more ridiculous it would be if it were to happen the day after. 

You're from WI.....of course your chosen team is in another state....part of my point.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
Why is that exactly?  Because Bucks and Brewers have better fans? ;)

Percentages should be flat unless one fan base is more rabid (etc etc) than the other.
Percent of a population attending a game is affected by the size of the population and the size of the stadium.  For example, the Bucks and Blackhawks play in (essentially) the same size stadium.  The Bucks need less people to reach a percentage of the population than the Blackhawks do because there's 8 million less people in the Milwaukee metro area.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »
Now you're a Penguins fan?  So much for Red Wing loyalty.  Some fan you are  :)

haha, shoooot... 2 years ago :-P  time flys :-x  With 11 Cup victories, it sure is easy to get confused. ;)

I'm not ripping on the Blackhawks, I'm 'ripping' on all of the fair weather fans who claim to be lifers.

and no, it still isn't a perfect analogy.

I can't rip on the Hawks because my team is from another state?  uhhhhh... okay?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »
I don't think any rational person would disagree with you... which is why i said "every fan base".

And yes, I have met plenty of Chicago fans who defend the fairweathers by mentioning things like Bill Wirtz.  Don't try to defend the fairweather fans, with such things.  It may disenfranchise some people, but the vast majority don't even know who Bill Wirtz is, and would have been Hawks fans if the team was winning, regardless of who the owner was.

It's not defending fairweathers, it's pointing out that some of what is seen as fairweathers may just be people returning to fandom.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »
Percent of a population attending a game is affected by the size of the population and the size of the stadium.  For example, the Bucks and Blackhawks play in (essentially) the same size stadium.  The Bucks need less people to reach a percentage of the population than the Blackhawks do because there's 8 million less people in the Milwaukee metro area.

uh okay, but there are still 8,985,000+ people from the Chicago area who didn't attend the Hawks games.  With 9 million people you'd think they would be able to fill that stadium every day with the rabid fan base they have!

Or I totally missing the point here.  Yes, a bigger percentage of the population is ABLE to attend Milwaukee games (though this is totally a nuts thing to compare, since not everyone who attends a Brewers game is from Milwaukee, or a Brewers fan and vice versa) than Chicago games... but then your point is what?  Just that?  The obvious?  That a larger percentage of Brewers fans can attend Brewers games because there are less of them?

I am truly confused here.

edit: okay, i reread it, and I agree with you... I don't see what mu-rara's point was.

It's not defending fairweathers, it's pointing out that some of what is seen as fairweathers may just be people returning to fandom.

Isn't that the definition of a fair weather fan?  Someone who pays attention when the team is good, and when they are bad they forget about them?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:41:52 PM by Hards_Alumni »