Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is going to Prep School?  (Read 22662 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Who is going to Prep School?
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Rosiak said one is going to Prep school out of the 6 man recruiting class? Anybody have any opinions?

bilsu

• All American
Re: Who is going to Prep School?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »
It has to be one of the three fall signings, since there is no reason to sign a player in the spring that you know is going to prep school. I think the writing was on the wall when they took a commitment from Newbill (a guard, when we needed a bigman). They also made a big deal about Newbill being academically eligible at the time of his commitment. There are two reasons to go to a prep school after signing. The obvious one is grades. The other reason is that one of the recruits does not want to go to MU anymore and is willing to play another year of high school to get out of the commitment. This I see as less likely given that Buzz release Roseboro when he wanted out. I think Buzz would release anyone who did not want to be here.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
It has to be one of the three fall signings, since there is no reason to sign a player in the spring that you know is going to prep school. I think the writing was on the wall when they took a commitment from Newbill (a guard, when we needed a bigman). They also made a big deal about Newbill being academically eligible at the time of his commitment. There are two reasons to go to a prep school after signing. The obvious one is grades. The other reason is that one of the recruits does not want to go to MU anymore and is willing to play another year of high school to get out of the commitment. This I see as less likely given that Buzz release Roseboro when he wanted out. I think Buzz would release anyone who did not want to be here.

Um, wasn't DJ Newbill a spring signing?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »
I'd guess Smith, if it's a Fall kid. Blue's academic improvement has been widely reported and there's been no reports of trouble for Jones. Though I'd hate to see one of two natural point guards on the roster not here come Fall.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »
I think blue is as much of a "natural" PG as is Smith.  Smith never played PG untill a year ago and I am not sure how much of it he played this year.  he projects as a Pg obviously, but he is not a "natural".  i think we will be just fine with blue filling the backup.  I think much like Acker, DJ, Diener, Cordell, Hutchins, Miller and all the Pg's before that Junior is going to get 30-35 minutes a game any way. 

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
"A chance to play immediately also lured Gardner." This is from the most recent post about Gardner from a VA news source so it looks like it is not going to be him.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »
I'd bet it all that Reggie Smith is headed to prep school...I am intrigued by his potential and hope he retains his commitment to Marquette after attending prep school.  Can any clarify if a player that signed and LOI attends prep school, he must go on to play for the team he signed the original LOI?  In other words, can his recruitment open back up after attending prep school?  Hope not.  If it's Smith by the time he got to MU for the 2011 season, Junior Cadougan would be a Junior.  I'd suspect Reggie could be dynamite by his sophomore, and definitely his junior year at MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:48:26 PM »
Thought I heard someone mention that Reggie was the only incoming freshman who wasn't on campus this past weekend...if true, my money is on him..

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
I would hate to see Reggie go, as I think he has unbelievable potential here. I'd much rather see Newbill, but as has been noted, it seems unlikely since he's a Spring signing. So long as it's not Vander (I'd be shocked) or Jamail (I'd be devestated), things will work out. It's not Crowder, obviously. I don't want to see anyone leave, though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:31:51 PM by packermania »

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »
Thought I heard someone mention that Reggie was the only incoming freshman who wasn't on campus this past weekend...if true, my money is on him..

Jamail Jones was definitely here this weekend, Vander is constantly here. I would also have thought it was Newbill that was going the prep route

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
Pretty sure Reggie was here this weekend, I thought Crowder was the only one that wasn't. Could it be possible that Buzz talked to the player this weekend and they decided prep school was the best option and gave Gardner the okay to commit? Although with the amount of big men visiting I'm sure it was known before someone was heading to prep school.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
I think Smith going to prep school is probably the best situation. It gives him a bigger gap between him and Junior Cadougan. I feel as if we don't necessarily need another pg right now, especially if smith is still developing as a pg.  Him going to prep school will result in him getting more playing time when he gets to Marquette. Hopefully he sticks with us. What do you guys think?

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »
I don't mind either him or Newbill going to Prep school because we are loaded at guard, plain and simple. That being said I agree with you that a longer time with a more improved Reggie would be great!

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
I don't mind either him or Newbill going to Prep school because we are loaded at guard, plain and simple. That being said I agree with you that a longer time with a more improved Reggie would be great!

yeah i hear you. in my opinion i kind of like the fact that newbill is coming in the same year as blue. i think these two can really push each other. obviously blue is the more highly touted recruit but i feel like newbill can be a sleeping giant with his size and shooting. those two together should be exciting if blue ends up staying for a while.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Pretty sure Reggie was here this weekend, I thought Crowder was the only one that wasn't. Could it be possible that Buzz talked to the player this weekend and they decided prep school was the best option and gave Gardner the okay to commit? Although with the amount of big men visiting I'm sure it was known before someone was heading to prep school.

Reggie was supposed to be here, but for whatever reason wasn't. Crowder was in Vegas for an all-star game.

As far as I know Newbill should have no trouble qualifying.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
If a player goes to prep school they are released from their LOI and have to sign a new one. This happens many times in football where the coaches have close relationships with many of the prep school coaches who then do their best to keep the players committed to the original school.

Here's hoping whoever it is doesn't blow up and have the BIG guys come calling and also that the relationship Buzz develops is strong enough to keep him/them committed.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
IMO, I think it's Smith (and that's why we signed Newbill) and Reggie will never be in a Marquette uniform.  My experience is that most kids that go the prep school route rarely sign with their original school.  Both parties tend to move on.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
Things change in a year. Highly unlikely that the player will return to MU IMO.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
My experience is that most kids that go the prep school route rarely sign with their original school.  Both parties tend to move on.

Not really the case in most Div 1 football programs....most kids end up where they were "placed" unless they were given specific areas to work on and didn't fulfill them or had some discipline issues. Hargrave is a prime example of a prep school where many top FB recruits are "signed and placed."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Is it safe to assume that 1) If it is Reggie, that 2) He is headed to prep school due to not qualifying?  I thought Buzz was pretty high on him at the siging period, and that Reggie was really excited to be a Warrior.  If a kid can't qualify to be a player in their first year, why would the player be mad and not want to come to the original school?  I guess the player could feel the school should have Prop 48'd him, like we did with D-WAde - where you still give him the scholarship even though he's ineligible to play.

My guess is that Buzz told him (up front) if he didn't qualify for MU, that he would ask him to go play a year at a prep school - and probably asked Reggie if he was okay with this..up front.  I don't see Buzz wanting to jack around a Mac Irvin player, as I'm sure that is a relationship he wants to continue to cultivate.  And Buzz is no idiot when it comes to relationship managment.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
^ Agree completely but we really should wait to see who is prepping lest we really tick of a recruit and his family with all our "knowledge" of the situation..... ;)

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
Buzz is a good guy, a very good guy. If Reggie isn't coming its qualifying issues IMO

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
Is it safe to assume that 1) If it is Reggie, that 2) He is headed to prep school due to not qualifying?  I thought Buzz was pretty high on him at the siging period, and that Reggie was really excited to be a Warrior.  If a kid can't qualify to be a player in their first year, why would the player be mad and not want to come to the original school?  I guess the player could feel the school should have Prop 48'd him, like we did with D-WAde - where you still give him the scholarship even though he's ineligible to play.

My guess is that Buzz told him (up front) if he didn't qualify for MU, that he would ask him to go play a year at a prep school - and probably asked Reggie if he was okay with this..up front.  I don't see Buzz wanting to jack around a Mac Irvin player, as I'm sure that is a relationship he wants to continue to cultivate.  And Buzz is no idiot when it comes to relationship managment.

Don't think the Big East allows Prop 48s.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
It's clearly Smith.

The more important question is where does the extra spot come from when we sign someone on May 16th?

Things are never quiet for our program.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:07 PM »
Reggie Smith isn't going to prep school. He will be at Marquette in July

feedback