[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Gardner To Marquette  (Read 20021 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Gardner To Marquette
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=9&cfg=bb&c=8&yr=2010

According to MarquetteHoops.com commitment page.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
Re: Gardner To Marquette
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
Let the speculation begin continue.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
why doesn't that show DJ as signing?  I thought he signed April 14?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
why doesn't that show DJ as signing?  I thought he signed April 14?

It also shows Crowder committing the day he signed his LOI, so there's that then.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
What about Reggie Smith?  Has he actually signed?  There have never been any write ups on him.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
Good. I was really hoping Noreen would be it, but he seems like he's got Northwestern written all over him. Gardner was the next best thing in my eyes, and I'm glad we didn't take a chance on Hahn (reminded me too much of the Roseboro process - out of nowhere, would have committed really fast).

Otule and Gardner could be a beast of an inside presence...no need to worry about that size.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
What about Reggie Smith?  Has he actually signed?  There have never been any write ups on him.

Yeah, he signed a while back I believe. Have to admit, it really Mbao looks like the odd man out, and has for a while.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:40:51 PM »
Yeah, he signed a while back I believe. Have to admit, it really Mbao looks like the odd man out, and has for a while.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111909aaa.html 

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »
2010/2011 is going to be the start of something good for Marquette in the Big East.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:47:37 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1080917

Big East for King's Fork's Gardner

Matthew Hatfield
VirginiaPreps.com

The long awaiting end to the recruiting process for King's Fork's Davante Gardner came Monday as the 6-foot-8, 280-pound big man from Suffolk has decided to continue his basketball career in college with Head Coach Buzz Williams and the Marquette Golden Eagles of the Big East.

It came down to two schools for the interior force nicknamed 'Big Ox.'  Gardner chose Marquette over another Big East school which he visited last month, South Florida.

"They did a good job recruiting him and they built that relationship early towards the end of November and into December.  They kept plugging along with him, and he got up there for an official visit for their last home game, which was their Senior Night," said King's Fork Head Basketball Coach Josh Worrell.  "It took him a while to figure what the best situation would be due to the fact he got another offer from South Florida and South Florida was more recent.

Williams and assistant coach Aki Collins from Marquette made sure they were extremely visible during the entire recruiting process.  A chance to play immediately also lured Gardner.

"The coaches there at Marquette knew from the three-point line in on both ends of the floor exactly what he could do, and they think he can be very successful there," added Worrell.  "Granted, they believe he's going to need lose some more weight just like any other program stated to be in even better physical shape.  They won quite a few games this year with a 6-7 big kid that played in and out.  They needed that one inside presence, and they let Davante know you're the big guy we're recruiting and the one big guy we're recruiting."

For King's Fork, it is the fourth Division I player for the program in two years.  Jaquon Parker signed with Cincinnati, also out of the Big East, a year ago and guard Jamar Wertz went to University of Maryland Baltimore County.  Gardner's twin tower teammate, Jay Copeland, signed last week with Ball State out of the MAC.

Selected 1st Team Group AAA All-State by the VHSCA, Gardner scored 1431 points and collected 992 rebounds in his Bulldogs career.  During his junior season he put up 15.6 points and 7.6 rebounds per game for the Bulldogs as they won the State Championship.

The numbers were even better in 2009-10.  This past season Gardner scored more points than any other player in the Eastern Region.  He finished up his senior year averaging 22.6 points, 12.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game for a Bulldogs team that has gone 55-4 in their last 59 games.

Combining great footwork and touch with muscle and power, Gardner was ultra consistent all season long for King's Fork, scoring no less than 14 points in any game and notching 21 double-doubles.  Gardner, an All-Eastern Region 1st Team selection as well, was named the MVP of the Southeastern District Tournament and helped King's Fork claim their third straight district tournament title as well as their second consecutive regular season league crown.

"They feel if he gets played one-on-one he has that skill-set with his footwork, hands, being able to shoot that mid-range jumper, get his body ready before the ball gets there," Worrell remarked on Gardner.  "If they can win 20, 22 or 24 games without a big man, what's going to happen when they get one?"  They let him know if you were just a low post guy who couldn't do anything else, we really wouldn't recruit you.  But he can shoot the ball, handle the ball, can move and do a lot of things that a lot of big guys can't do.  They were really impressed by that."

Marquette went 22-12 overall last season, falling to Washington 80-78 in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.  The program has recorded five consecutive 20-plus win seasons, all resulting in trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Gardner joins a 2010 recruiting class for the Golden Eagles that includes Pennsylvania Class AA Player of the Year Devonte' 'D.J.' Newbill, Junior College Player of the Year Jae Crowder, small forward Jamail Jones, guard Reggie Smith and five-star point guard Vander Blue.

"I've known him since sixth or seventh grade and his transition of becoming a very good basketball player took hard work and time for him," noted Worrell.  "He put a lot into it, and from one year to the next, losing some weight made his game that much better this year.  He could play a long period of time without rest and still be effective on both ends, and I just see him getting that much better at Marquette by losing 20 more pounds.  He can put the ball in the hoop.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
With all the youth we will have on the floor next year, things will definitely be exciting.  I hope we get to watch this group grow for 4 years like we did with the Matthews, James, and McNeal...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 04:56:21 PM »
Reading about his game and seeing that head shot I wonder if Gardner will turn out something like Kentrell Gransberry, who was very good his last couple seasons at South Florida.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Could he be a combination of DeJuan Blair, Big Baby Davis, Al Horford, and Charles Barkley?  By that I mean all the best aspects of each of those players combined into one?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
Realistically, how good is this kid?

Also, as far as body type, could he be like Robert Jackson? Big guy with good footwork and hands?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Scout lists him as 6'9 and 305 pounds?  305?  I realize that article has him at 280.  Big difference.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
Could he be a combination of DeJuan Blair, Big Baby Davis, Al Horford, and Charles Barkley?  By that I mean all the best aspects of each of those players combined into one?

Relax. Thats how peoples expectations get inflated.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
The most exciting thing to me is his good hands, footwork, and scoring ability that are continually mentioned in the articles.  I envision him being light on his feet for all the weight he carries, like Big Baby Davis.  Which would be nice...

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »
Sounds like they want him to play somewhere between 260 and 280.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
Scout lists him as 6'9 and 305 pounds?  305?  I realize that article has him at 280.  Big difference.

http://bit.ly/bE6RzY

His AAU coach puts him at 280 now as well after changing his diet and conditioning. He was all the way up at 325 as a sophomore!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:28:23 PM by foreverwarriors »

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
http://bit.ly/bE6RzY

His HS coach puts him at 280 now as well after changing his diet and conditioning. He was all the way up at 325 as a sophomore!

Reminds me of that kid from Texas
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
Gardner looks huge, almost too big, he is going to need to loose a lot of weight if he wants to get consistent minutes eventually. 

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
He looks pretty good in this pic...

"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
We all know one thing about this kid, he is going to have to work his tail off.  Hopefully practicing at the level this team does will help him shed some lbs.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
Body type... I would say Burke.  Hopefully the skill set is better.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com