Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: They are LOVING Wesley Matthews  (Read 2901 times)

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
They are LOVING Wesley Matthews
« on: May 02, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
I don't remember who said it, but they said something along the lines that someone this draft is gonna have to think "Wesley Matthews" and that GMs will be looking for the next Wesley Matthews, in regards to his hard work and perseverance.

Outstanding Marquette ambassador.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: They are LOVING Wesley Matthews
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
Marc Stein said it. They had a nice pre recorded piece featuring Jerry Sloan who said that he wished he had 12 Wesley Matthews on his team. Sloan mentioned that Wes does the work to get better.

As for the "next Wesley Matthews" I think they don't need to look farther than Marquette's Lazar Hayward. Just like they mentioned about Wes, Lazar can defend and accept a role.
We Are Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
Yes, it was a nice feature.

Here's an idea ... if you're looking for the next Wesley Matthews in this year's draft, consider Lazar Hayward.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
Quick question regarding Matthew's contract.  I believe he signed a one year deal for like $490K, so does that make him a free agent after this year?  I know he will probably be loyal to the Jazz who gave him his break, but anyone know?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
Quick question regarding Matthew's contract.  I believe he signed a one year deal for like $490K, so does that make him a free agent after this year?  I know he will probably be loyal to the Jazz who gave him his break, but anyone know?

Two good MU shooting guards on the free agent market this year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
I hope he dips, Miles and Boozer unnatural carnal knowledgeing blow. You need 75 hands to count how many times in 1 game those 2 idiots take stupid shots with Wes WIDE open in the corner or on the wing, its unbelivebale. Dwill does it too but hes a stud and atleast makes shots.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
Two good MU shooting guards on the free agent market this year.

Really? Who is the other one? If I follow the NBA, would I have heard of him?
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Quick question regarding Matthew's contract.  I believe he signed a one year deal for like $490K, so does that make him a free agent after this year?  I know he will probably be loyal to the Jazz who gave him his break, but anyone know?

He's a free agent this year. http://hoopshype.com/salaries/utah.htm I don't know if he is restricted or unrestricted, though.

I also don't think he would be loyal to the Jazz. Sure, they gave him a break, but if some team needs an SG and would pay him big cash, I'm sure he'll grab it. If they redid the 2009 NBA draft, Wes maybe would be in the lottery.
We Are Marquette

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
Nice to hear people talking about Wes.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
It's too bad the Cavaliers didn't take him in the first round instead of Christian Enygaya. Wes would fit in very well on that team and have a shot at a ring.

http://www.nba.com/draft2009/
We Are Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
Marc Stein said it. They had a nice pre recorded piece featuring Jerry Sloan who said that he wished he had 12 Wesley Matthews on his team. Sloan mentioned that Wes does the work to get better.

As for the "next Wesley Matthews" I think they don't need to look farther than Marquette's Lazar Hayward. Just like they mentioned about Wes, Lazar can defend and accept a role.

Not to be a wet blanket here, but Matthews at least has an NBA body to go along with his hard work.  Hayward is only an inch taller and 5 to 10 lbs heavier.  I love Lazar and I hope he proves me wrong, but he might not have the body to make the impression that Matthews is making.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
I wonder if Wes's deference to James and McNeal for most of his time at Marquette made his transition to being a complimentary player easier for him. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
Matthews will be a restricted free agent.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
Stick with Utah Wes.  Nothing like starting and getting significant minutes.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:06:08 PM »
Plus he gets to play next to the best point guard in the league. He fits well into Sloan's system. Don't think he would necessarily fit well into other teams' styles of play. If it ain't broke don't fix it Wes
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »
He'll make some nice coin next year, not that the league minimum is anything to sneeze at. Good for him.