collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hegarty's closing TONIGHT?!  (Read 12165 times)

muPARTY

• Starter
Hegarty's closing TONIGHT?!
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »
friend of mine forwarded this to me,
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114754391891902&index=1#!/profile.php?id=100000430866765&v=wall

not sure if it's real since i thought they were closing their doors in June (not April).  if it's true it's a real shame, last good bar on the campus

muPARTY

• Starter
Re: Hegarty's closing TONIGHT?!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
just called and asked... IT'S TRUE.

marquette is kicking them out at noon tomorrow.  if you're in Milwaukee GO TO HEGARTY'S!!!

muPARTY

• Starter
Hegarty's CLOSES TONIGHT FOREVER!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
i posted it in the superbar, but since this get's more traffic...

called and it's true, Jim Hegarty's Irish Pub CLOSES TONIGHT FOREVER!  marquette is giving them the boot now, so if you can stop by the last great campus bar

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
Re: Hegarty's CLOSES TONIGHT FOREVER!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »
what is going in its place?
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »
what is going in its place?
???  dorms? offices? just tearing it all down?

they bought the entire building because the apartments surrounding it have been empty for like a year i've been told

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
I heard dental clinic once, but that doesn't really make any sense at all.

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
Unjust and unnecessary! A cultural icon slips beneath the waves without so much as a by your leave. So much for my donation to MU this year!

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »
Truely a sad day, I stopped by in December and I thought it was going to be open til August which I was excited to know I'd be back one more time.  Now, unfourtently not.  It wasn't my favorite bar all the time but still a great place and a place like Heg's is needed right by campus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »
First Lenny's, then the Lance, now Hegarty's. Signs of the Apocalypse?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
An entire semester of closing Hegs on Sunday nights.    Ahhhh, the Fun Bunch.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
Unjust and unnecessary! A cultural icon slips beneath the waves without so much as a by your leave. So much for my donation to MU this year!

Hegarty's hasn't been making money for a longggg time now. It isn't MU's job to float a business that can't make a profit. The whole building's coming down; Fr. Wild and the senior administration have said in multiple public settings that they intended to renovate it and such, but it's way too unstable and unsafe. Rumors are that it'll either be greenspace or a new building, but the latter wouldn't be done for a while.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
Marquette has become incredibly sanitized, to borrow a word from a fellow poster. Two (three if you include blows) legitimate bars for a campus of 7,500 undergraduate students? Seriously? Lawrence University (up in Appleton, where I am from) has probably 20 bars within one mile of campus. Of course, the situations aren't completely, or even very, comparable but the difference just astonishes me.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »
Marquette has become incredibly sanitized, to borrow a word from a fellow poster. Two (three if you include blows) legitimate bars for a campus of 7,500 undergraduate students? Seriously? Lawrence University (up in Appleton, where I am from) has probably 20 bars within one mile of campus. Of course, the situations aren't completely, or even very, comparable but the difference just astonishes me.

There's been a rumor going around that Marquette is looking to get all campus bars closed when their respective leases go up.  All completely hearsay, but it's still a scary thought...

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
There's been a rumor going around that Marquette is looking to get all campus bars closed when their respective leases go up.  All completely hearsay, but it's still a scary thought...

Marquette doesn't own the Ardmore building, so there's no way they'll be able to get Caffrey's closed.  And I would imagine that Murphy's lease is a nice cash cow for the university as well.  Unlike Hegarty's, though, they pay their bills. 

The General has taken on a new command.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
If a mile is your benchmark, Water St. is within a mile of campus and 3rd St. is even closer.

MU has been engaged in a mission to only allow establishments it favors operate and on terms they agree with. MU is more or less in the corner of Cafs/Murphs (same company owns the two) but wasn't with Hegs. Ergo, no more Hegs.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 11:31:26 PM »
MU has been engaged in a mission to only allow establishments it favors operate and on terms they agree with. MU is more or less in the corner of Cafs/Murphs (same company owns the two) but wasn't with Hegs. Ergo, no more Hegs.

+1

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »

Unjust?  Really?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 06:26:55 AM »
It's over a mile.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 06:56:52 AM »
It's over a mile.

Water Street yes, Old World third no.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »

Please tell me you're kidding.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:30 AM »
It's over a mile.

Nothing like playing map dork...but from 13th & Wells, it's exactly one mile to the corner of Kilbourn & Water.   :P

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:25 AM »
I enjoyed my time at Hegs a couple years ago, but for almost all of '08 and '09 the place was a ghost bar except for Wednesday's when they had the double your dough deal. Almost nobody even went to Hegs anymore.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
Stop blaming Marquette for Heg's closing...they don't even own the building yet...had nothing to do with it.

Yes, they are an MKE institution, but if they wanted to stay open longer, they should have MADE MONEY...incredible how easily people forget thats what having a successful business means.

Ridiculous that Marquette had to put out a statement, but since everyone was blaming them for it:

http://www.marquette.edu/omc/newscenter/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1272550713&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »
Jsonline is running with the story.  Wish I could have been there last night, or this morning.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/92405674.html

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »
Stop blaming Marquette for Heg's closing...they don't even own the building yet...had nothing to do with it.

Yes, they are an MKE institution, but if they wanted to stay open longer, they should have MADE MONEY...incredible how easily people forget thats what having a successful business means.

Ridiculous that Marquette had to put out a statement, but since everyone was blaming them for it:

http://www.marquette.edu/omc/newscenter/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1272550713&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

Hey, you can just go ahead and keep the facts out of this.  Bankruptcy smankruptcy, this is just another example of "the man" knocking out another mom and pop business.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt