[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Trevor Hoffman needs to retire......  (Read 3850 times)

DiaperDandy

• Starter
Trevor Hoffman needs to retire......
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:01:20 PM »
This is getting old.  He blew another one tonight.  Not only could he not hold the lead....but he gave up a granny to allow the Pirates to go up 7-3 in the ninth.  If the Brewers had a bullpen that could finish games, they would be in much better shape than they are right now.  So sad to see a great closer like Hofffman end this way but right now, it looks like anyone and everyone can hit him.  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:10:00 PM by DiaperDandy »

marquetteff03

• Starter
Re: Trevor Hoffman needs to retire......
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
Agree, its bad enough he is throwing mid 80's but he is throwing it right down the pipe. Brewers are at a make or break 20 games in. Blown 5 late game leads (technically 6 but McGee bailed them out)

Boone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
Tonite's game notwithstanding, what'll they do when they're not facing the Pirates 3 games a week?

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »
Get swept the the F-ing cubs!  This sucks >:(

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
There's something odd going on with Trevor..for whatever reason he is not throwing his change up. It doesn't make any sense. Hitters are just sitting on the fastball because they have come to realize that the change up ain't coming. His fastball velocity is no slower than it used to be, but without having to worry about the change up, its like BP. It could be as simple as him struggling with his location and either falling behind, or trying to get ahead which would mean throwing more fastballs, but it just seems a bit peculiar right now. I haven't been too terribly concerned, but I'm getting there.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
Superbar... no one cares about the Brewers non-existent bullpen
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »
While I agree this is a Superbar topic, Hoffman has been oddly brutal since Holiday and Pujols decided to crush the ball.  On the other side of this, the guy has 594 career saves, I doubt he will lose confidence in his ability.  He wasn't throwing a blazing fastball last season and managed to do just fine.

These things happen and Hoffman could just was well reel off 34 straight saves going forward...at least lets hope so.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »
Superbar... no one cares about the Brewers non-existent bullpen

Actually the bullpen is pretty damn good, just Hoffman is sucking.

Apart from Hawkins' one bad third of an inning effort against the Cubes the Bullpen has been solid and we have a lot of arms. Hoffman has personally accounted for 4 losses; the Brewers could be 12-8 right now if it weren't for his blown saves.

I'm not gonna fault Hoffman, he's had a brilliant career and I hope he gets 600, but he's doing more harm than good. I think LaTroy Hawkins could easily be our closer and we can move Coffey back to being a setup man.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »
I think LaTroy Hawkins could easily be our closer and we can move Coffey back to being a setup man.

Yuck!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
The question is, did he need to retire in April of 2008? 2007? How about 2005? June of 2005? He was bad in those months as well. Fortunately, he did not retire after suffering through those bad stretches. A bad month does not necessarily mean your career is over.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
The good news is that the closer situation can be fixed in a snap - Coffey and Braddock are both ready for the role.

The bad news is that we have an "old school" manager who is going to adhere to the "veteran experience" mindset when filling out the lineup card.  Ergo, when Trevor is out - and it will be at least two more BS before he is (see below) - LaTroy is in.  Even though, in my mind, Coffey and Braddock are far and away better options right now.

Buuuuuuttt... it's pretty clear that the Brewers front office have a lot of capital in seeing Trevor get to 600.  Any other closer on any other team would have been pulled by now, but Macha - likely under orders from Melvin - will keep trotting Trevor out there until it becomes agonizing to watch.  And I'm not talking Gagne or Suppan agonizing, I'm talking a whole new level of agony not yet known to baseball.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »
The good news is that the closer situation can be fixed in a snap - Coffey and Braddock are both ready for the role.

The bad news is that we have an "old school" manager who is going to adhere to the "veteran experience" mindset when filling out the lineup card.  Ergo, when Trevor is out - and it will be at least two more BS before he is (see below) - LaTroy is in.  Even though, in my mind, Coffey and Braddock are far and away better options right now.

Buuuuuuttt... it's pretty clear that the Brewers front office have a lot of capital in seeing Trevor get to 600.  Any other closer on any other team would have been pulled by now, but Macha - likely under orders from Melvin - will keep trotting Trevor out there until it becomes agonizing to watch.  And I'm not talking Gagne or Suppan agonizing, I'm talking a whole new level of agony not yet known to baseball.

Very few fans are going to get excited about him getting to 600 if in the process he is blowing every other save attempt.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 01:57:46 PM »
Charlie V could be a suitable replacement if it comes to it.
12 innings 0 runs 15ks so far. Probably the best relief we have

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
Be kinda difficult if the Pistons were still in the playoffs, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

Very few fans are going to get excited about him getting to 600 if in the process he is blowing every other save attempt.

Or 2 days in a row...we'll probably lose again today

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 02:55:47 PM »
Maybe they can coax Salamon Torres out of retirement again  ;D

sv48

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
He is puling a Gagne  ?-(

feedback