'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Newbill Pennsylvania Class AA Player of the Year  (Read 9915 times)

Badgerhater

• All American
Newbill Pennsylvania Class AA Player of the Year
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/high_school/pennsylvania/90128697.html

AA is the second lowest division in PA high school hoops.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: Newbill Pennsylvania Class AA Player of the Year
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
I would put money that he doesn't sign.  I can see a mystery recruit taking his spot.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
I would put money that he doesn't sign.  I can see a mystery recruit taking his spot.

Any particular reason why you see that?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
Buzz is still recruiting and for a team loaded with wings, he is one that hasn't signed yet that would be the easiest to part ways with.

I have no clue.  I think our current roster has lots of potiental and I don't think Buzz will push Otule or Ybao off the team. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
one way or another we will know in a week or so... well, maybe a month or so.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
Buzz is still recruiting and for a team loaded with wings, he is one that hasn't signed yet that would be the easiest to part ways with.

I have no clue.  I think our current roster has lots of potiental and I don't think Buzz will push Otule or Ybao off the team. 

Fair enough. I was just wondering.

I'm normally not one to point out spelling and grammar errors, but "Ybao" made me chuckle.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »
So, is Newbill the best of the second worst?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »

I really doubt this is the case, as I can's see Buzz stringing Newbill along this long - meaning if he didn't want Newbill, that he would have told DJ - and in turn DJ would have announced he was re-opening his recruitment.  I don't see Buzz doing a 180 on the kid, in a 3-month period of time, when the kid has played very well and led his team to state championship Final.  Also, Buzz and Newbill both knew at the time they offered/accepted what the composition of the team was from a postion/roster perspective - so the fact the team is loaded with wings, isn't anything new or different from the time he was offered and accepted.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »
Awesome news... congrats DJ!!

"Devonte' "D.J." Newbill, who fueled Strawberry Mansion's run to its second state final in three seasons, was named Class AA player of the year. Newbill, a Marquette oral commitment, scored 15 points in Mansion's 49-47 loss to South Fayette in the title game."
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
Fair enough. I was just wondering.

I'm normally not one to point out spelling and grammar errors, but "Ybao" made me chuckle.

Thanks for not jumping down my throat.  I do believe the whole "where there is smoke, there is fire" and I think we are going to get someone so someone has to get bumped.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
How about sticking DJ or Smith ina prep school for a year. Let them continue to grow as players and then come in in 2011 as Freshman.  St. Johns academy maybe?  that's waht Al used to do.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »
Newbill looks like a diamond that is coming out of the rough and being polished.  His outside shooting may be greatly needed with the graduation of Lazar, Mo and Coobey.  

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »
How about sticking DJ or Smith ina prep school for a year. Let them continue to grow as players and then come in in 2011 as Freshman.  St. Johns academy maybe?  that's waht Al used to do.
Yuck, an extra year of prep school and studying for no purpose other than for basketball.  :P

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »
Newbill looks like a diamond that is coming out of the rough and being polished.  His outside shooting may be greatly needed with the graduation of Lazar, Mo and Coobey.  

We depended on outside shooting because of those players.  I can see this team being top 20 FT attempting teams in the country next year with all the slashers.  We don't need more 3 point shooters either.  DJO, Buycks, Fulce, and Butler shoot the three. (and can't Jones and Blue shoot too?)  I love that all those three point shooters can drive too.  I am pumped for next season.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »
Just because they shoot the 3 doesn't mean they are 3 point shooters. I for one would like to see newbill suit up for Marquette. The kid can play considering he was named the player of the year in his class for the state. He's not neat as much of a stretch recruit as mbao, roseboro, or anyone of that level were/are.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
I would love the kid on the team too, but if we have a shot at a quality big man, someone has to be dropped.  Nothing against the kid, but Newbill is first on my list because I like all the kids on the roster and he hasn't signed yet. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
I dont want to go to overboard and Buzz has a much better handle on this stuff than anything I could imagine to bring but after seeing Newbill play a couple of times and Jones a couple of times it seems to me they play about the same position and Jones is bigger, more athletic, ans supremely more skilled and talented.  Not saying Newbill could not turn out to be a great great player maybe even better than Jones.  But from waht little I have seen how much time at the 2 or 3 would he really get next year witht he likes of Blue, Jones, DJO and Buyscks ahead of him?  Maybe a year preppeing and coming in ayear behind would be great for him?  justa thought

DavantesInferno

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
Anyone know how many classes there are in PA high school basketball?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
There's four classes in PA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »
Jeez...

What a nice thread.  Newbill wins state player of the year!!!  Too bad we don't think he's good enough to play here.   :P

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
Jeez...

What a nice thread.  Newbill wins state player of the year!!!  Too bad we don't think he's good enough to play here.   :P

+1

Sometimes this board makes me really question what type of Marquette fan some people here are.   Always wanting different players, always wanting certain players to be gone.  MU gets a top player out of the Philly basketball hotbed and all the negative nancys come out of the woodwork.

Some of you need to lighten up.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
+1

Sometimes this board makes me really question what type of Marquette fan some people here are.   Always wanting different players, always wanting certain players to be gone.  MU gets a top player out of the Philly basketball hotbed and all the negative nancys come out of the woodwork.

Some of you need to lighten up.

Alot of the conversation on this board has been sparked by Buzz still recruiting for 2010.  As it stands, if another player comes in, someone will have to be left out.  Ultimately, it's Buzz's decision (and I trust it).  And it's really Buzz who wants different players.  But for conversation sake, if I had to pick a player to not get a schollie, it would be Newbill because for reasons stated above.  Nothing against the kid.  If he signs, I'll be a fan.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »
Alot of the conversation on this board has been sparked by Buzz still recruiting for 2010.  As it stands, if another player comes in, someone will have to be left out.  Ultimately, it's Buzz's decision (and I trust it).  And it's really Buzz who wants different players.  But for conversation sake, if I had to pick a player to not get a schollie, it would be Newbill because for reasons stated above.  Nothing against the kid.  If he signs, I'll be a fan.

You're creating a lot of wild assumptions and baseless speculation here, starting with your first post (i.e. you would put money on Newbill leaving).
Second, that Buzz wants different players. You know this how, exactly? Because some web sites say he's still recruiting? Supposing that's true, how do you know that doesn't mean he's aware of a transfer? Academic issue? Injury? Maybe he's just making sure he's covering his tail in case any of those things occur. All of those seem as reasonable - actually, more reasonable - conclusions.
And yet you're stating here as fact that Buzz does not want one of the players he's recruited.
Nice.

Speculation based on known facts is one thing. Feckless, flimsy speculation in which one states absolute guesses as fact is another. You're guilty of the latter. You're certainly entitled to post it here, so long as the mods allow it, but you shouldn't be offended when someone calls you out on it.
If I'm DJ Newbill - or any player - seeing this site, I'm not feeling real good about my supposed fans right now. Or at least some of those in this thread.

Worst of all, what you're really saying here is that Buzz is the kind of coach who would offer a kid a scholarship, accept a verbal commitment, then pull the rug out from under him in the late signing period, leaving the kid hanging out to dry with few if any other decent options for his freshman year. It's not like West Virginia and the other schools recruiting Newbill are holding a spot open just in case Marquette bails on him.
I'd like to think Buzz isn't that guy. I sure hope he isn't.

Anyhow, congrats to DJ on winning a pretty prestigious honor.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:39:27 PM by Pakuni »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
You're creating a lot of wild assumptions and baseless speculation here, starting with your first post (i.e. you would put money on Newbill leaving).
Second, that Buzz wants different players. You know this how, exactly? Because some web sites say he's still recruiting? Supposing that's true, how do you know that doesn't mean he's aware of a transfer? Academic issue? Injury? Maybe he's just making sure he's covering his tail in case any of those things occur. All of those seem as reasonable - actually, more reasonable - conclusions.
And yet you're stating here as fact that Buzz does not want one of the players he's recruited.
Nice.

Speculation based on known facts is one thing. Feckless, flimsy speculation in which one states absolute guesses as fact is another. You're guilty of the latter. You're certainly entitled to post it here, so long as the mods allow it, but you shouldn't be offended when someone calls you out on it.
If I'm DJ Newbill - or any player - seeing this site, I'm not feeling real good about my supposed fans right now. Or at least some of those in this thread.

Worst of all, what you're really saying here is that Buzz is the kind of coach who would offer a kid a scholarship, accept a verbal commitment, then pull the rug out from under him in the late signing period, leaving the kid hanging out to dry with few if any other decent options for his freshman year. It's not like West Virginia and the other schools recruiting Newbill are holding a spot open just in case Marquette bails on him.
I'd like to think Buzz isn't that guy. I sure hope he isn't.

Anyhow, congrats to DJ on winning a pretty prestigious honor.

+1 - Perfectly said.  ErikJD08 usually seems to make good/reasonable posts, but this one wasn't one of them.  Everything Pakuni has said should be all Scoopers M.O. moving forward - let's not wildly speculate on which player could possibly be transferring, not academically qualify, potentially have their scholarship offer pulled from them, etc.  I agree with Pakuni that this type of speculation would be pretty insulting to read if I were DJ Newbill or another recruit for that matter.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
When bma725 talks....people listen.

feedback