Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "The Streets End Here" -- Tyshawn Taylor sporting MU gear  (Read 10021 times)

mu2031

• Walk-On
"The Streets End Here" -- Tyshawn Taylor sporting MU gear
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
Anyone catch the PBS documentary tonight called "The Streets End Here" about St. Anthony's High School in New Jersey? What an incredible story. It followed last year's championship team which included Taylor, Mike Rosario of Rutgers, Travon Woodall of Pittsburgh, Jo Fontan of  USC and Dominic Cheek of Villanova. Obviously it was filmed before Crean parted ways with Marquette, so throughout the film Taylor is rarely seen without his Marquette apparel (which is ironic because none of his teammates, who actually attended the schools they were recruited by, ever wore their apparel). It must have been a surprise to the viewing audience unfamiliar with the situation when it says in the end Tyshawn signs with the University of Kansas.

Anyway, if you get a chance to check it out, truly it is a phenomenal story of kids in the projects given a shot at life because of one dedicated coach in Bob Hurley. This team has won 22 state championships in the past 35 years, and doesn't even have its own gym! It's now on the brink of closing, with $100,000+ in debt. Hard to imagine a school with such tradition and values might shut its doors. I'd like to think there are some of us out there who can appreciate the fine recruits St. Anthony's has delivered to the Big East in the past few years, and perhaps take out our pocketbooks to help out. Who knows who might get sent our way in the future if we do?

http://www.ncregister.com/register_exclusives/catholic_hoop_dreams/

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Re: "The Streets End Here" -- Tyshawn Taylor sporting MU gear
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:21 PM »
I dont want to sound evil for saying so, but i think it would be worse to say nothing at all. SO you want to donate, eh? To a school that is known for basketball instead of academics? You want to donate to a coach who can help only 12 kids? The school is anything but good. Academics are far below average (where are the successful alums that could help out)? The school doesnt receive money from the church because its actually independent. I cant recall a year in which I DIDNT hear that the school could potentially close; it loses 500k PER YEAR. It was short on money last year, short on money this year and it will be short on money next year. Sometimes its better to re-pave a street than it is to continually patch up the pot-holes.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
And maybe that's why this is the time to create a video that draws attention to the school and possibly draw an increase in funding (from alums and supporters).
SS Marquette

mu2031

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
Fair enough. I guess all I knew about the school before the PBS show was its basketball prowess, not its financial or academic situation. And it's certainly a safe bet that its airing had a lot to do with fund raising, but hey, with a compelling storyline, you can't blame them I guess. Still always sad to see those schools shut their doors.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »
I dont want to sound evil for saying so, but i think it would be worse to say nothing at all. SO you want to donate, eh? To a school that is known for basketball instead of academics? You want to donate to a coach who can help only 12 kids? The school is anything but good. Academics are far below average (where are the successful alums that could help out)? The school doesnt receive money from the church because its actually independent. I cant recall a year in which I DIDNT hear that the school could potentially close; it loses 500k PER YEAR. It was short on money last year, short on money this year and it will be short on money next year. Sometimes its better to re-pave a street than it is to continually patch up the pot-holes.

You've got a heart of gold there goodgreatgrand.

FtStJohnAssassin

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »
Screw Bobby Hurley.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 04:11:57 AM »
Screw Bobby Hurley.

The cynic in me wonders if some rich alumni or even some college programs would donate to influence where St. Anthony kids good to play ball.  Stranger things have happened.

Also, what happens if it closes?  Is their another catholic school down the street it would be merged into and Hurley would be their basketball coach next year?

Don't get me wrong.  I hope they get the money and stay open.  Catholic high schools are desperately important as an alternative to the cesspools that are inner city public schools.  But, St. Antony's story is not unique.  Their are hundreds of catholic high schools across the country in the same position.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »
there is a great book about this story called "The Miracle of Saint Anthony"

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »
The cynic in me wonders if some rich alumni or even some college programs would donate to influence where St. Anthony kids good to play ball.  Stranger things have happened.

Kind of happens already...

College coaches recruiting a St. Anthony's player....they get Bob Hurley jobs speaking at coaching clinics, the compensation from those speaking engagements goes to funding the St. Anthony's program. 

there is a great book about this story called "The Miracle of Saint Anthony"

While it is about Bob Hurley and St. Anthony's, "The Miracle of St. Anthony" chronicles a different team (03-04, I believe), not the one from the documentary last night.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
I'm surprised there aren't more comments here as a lot of MU fans seem to have short knowledge on Hurley (based on one experience) and this would have been an opportunity to see a little more of him.

Another thing to note is that Jio Fontan, the Honor Society member of the team and co-captain of the squad, is in the USC program playing under KO. Believe he'll be eligible mid-semester next year after his transfer from Fordham.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »

Also, what happens if it closes?  Is their another catholic school down the street it would be merged into and Hurley would be their basketball coach next year?

Don't get me wrong.  I hope they get the money and stay open.  Catholic high schools are desperately important as an alternative to the cesspools that are inner city public schools.  But, St. Antony's story is not unique.  Their are hundreds of catholic high schools across the country in the same position.

There used to be about a dozen in Milwaukee County, and now I believe there are only five left.  (Pius, Marquette, DSHA, Thomas More, and St. Joan Antida.)  And it is a flippin miracle that SJA is still around.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »

There used to be about a dozen in Milwaukee County, and now I believe there are only five left.  (Pius, Marquette, DSHA, Thomas More, and St. Joan Antida.)  And it is a flippin miracle that SJA is still around.

Dominican and Messmer.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »

There used to be about a dozen in Milwaukee County

Closed, off the top of my head:

1. Don Bosco
2. Francis Jordan
3. Madonna
4. Mercy
5. Notre Dame
6. Pio Nono
7. St. John Cathedral
8. St. Mary’s Academy

Is St. Francis de Sales still open?
Ludum habemus.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »

Actually there's 8:  Pius, MUHS, DSHA, Thomas More, St. Joan Antida, Dominican, Messmer, and the new one that opened last year St. Anthony.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
Closed, off the top of my head:

1. Don Bosco
2. Francis Jordan
3. Madonna
4. Mercy
5. Notre Dame
6. Pio Nono
7. St. John Cathedral
8. St. Mary’s Academy

Is St. Francis de Sales still open?

Nope.  And there are a few more closed ones depending on how far you want to go back:  Sacred Heart, St. Benedict, St. Bonaventure, and St. John for the Deaf.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »
Don't forget St. Joan Antida; also DSHA used to be Divine Savior and Holy Angels!

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 12:06:37 PM »
So that explains that frustrating name.  Everytime I say "DSHA" I have to say the whole name in my head to make sure I am saying it right.  I always want to say DHSA.  That name drives me nuts.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »

I really enjoyed this documentary.  I agree with a previous post that it was ironic Tyshawn Taylor was the only one wearing college gear from what I saw and ended up somewhere else.  It was obvious Ty was one of Bobby's favorite players... it's no wonder he was overprotective of him when the coaching situation unraveled here at Marquette.  There was no way of Hurley (or Taylor) knowing it would turn out to be a positive.  After watching that program, I'll be rooting for him while he's point plankin'!    

As it relates to Catholic school funding, I hope this documentary drums up support for all schools.  With the skyrocketing costs of running a high school, almost all Catholic schools are running deficits that are patched in by donations/fund-raising.  I'm a proponent of any and all efforts to raise money for Catholic education... it's the new reality in a world with very few clergy teaching in Catholic schools.  Where would Marquette be without basketball?  So what if they're known more for basketball than acedemics?!?  They should be known nationally for their against-all-odds success!  Marquette has parlayed our on court success to improve fund-raising efforts... why shouldn't St Anthony's?  While I don't think GoodGreatGrand sounds evil, I do think his opinion sounds a little callous or behind the times. How are these Catholic institutions going to serve all communities if these institutions don't receive our financial support? 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:50:50 PM by TomW1365 »

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
The big three in new jersey are legendary (st.benedicts, st. anthonys, st. Patricks).  Their bench warmers get D1a scholarships (see cubillian, dwight burke)  The quality of new jersey basketball is absolutely obscene.  This is also what makes me hedge my bets slightly with vander blue.  The competition level just isn't the same, and if U were to drop one of the middle of the pack guys from one of these big three in wisconsin state b ball, he would murder people.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
So that explains that frustrating name.  Everytime I say "DSHA" I have to say the whole name in my head to make sure I am saying it right.  I always want to say DHSA.  That name drives me nuts.
  Just think "Dashers"!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
Actually there's 8:  Pius, MUHS, DSHA, Thomas More, St. Joan Antida, Dominican, Messmer, and the new one that opened last year St. Anthony.

So... the guy living down the street from Auburn U. is the guy who best knows the roster of Catholic Schools in Milwaukee.

Interesting.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:48 PM »

Yeah, I really screwed that up.  I should have known Dominican and Messmer.  Hell, I interviewed for a job at Messmer once!

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 01:43:16 AM »

As it relates to Catholic school funding, I hope this documentary drums up support for all schools.  With the skyrocketing costs of running a high school, almost all Catholic schools are running deficits that are patched in by donations/fund-raising.  I'm a proponent of any and all efforts to raise money for Catholic education... it's the new reality in a world with very few clergy teaching in Catholic schools.  Where would Marquette be without basketball?  So what if they're known more for basketball than acedemics?!?  They should be known nationally for their against-all-odds success!  Marquette has parlayed our on court success to improve fund-raising efforts... why shouldn't St Anthony's?  While I don't think GoodGreatGrand sounds evil, I do think his opinion sounds a little callous or behind the times. How are these Catholic institutions going to serve all communities if these institutions don't receive our financial support? 

I know this forum is not supposed to be political but demographics and rising costs have made the affordability of private (catholic) education a difficult proposition for a middle class or low income family. 

Here is an interesting video on the situation in DC. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FS5B-CynM

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
The major issue for Catholic high schools, as well as Catholic colleges and universities, is that the value of the "donated services" by priests and nuns has decreased dramatically over time.  Simply put, the shortage of people in those fields means that these schools have to hire "real people" to teach, or administer, and these people cost money.  I know for a fact that this issue is really hurting a Catholic college in the Milwaukee area, to the point that if they don't do something soon, they may have to either close or dramatically change how they operate.