[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: xbox360 vs ps3  (Read 6735 times)

Josey Wales

• Starter
xbox360 vs ps3
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
Which do you guys recommend? I've heard that the ps3 has no games, but I don't really buy a ton of games. I would  probably be fine playing madden and call of duty for a year or two.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

wojosdojo

• All American
Re: xbox360 vs ps3
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
Even id PS3 was/is better everyone has xbox it seems and no one has ps3. If not playing live then I guess its up to you.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »
Ya thats a good point, I do like playing online a lot.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
PS3 >>>>>> Xbox 360

I've played both, PS3 has a much easier to grip controller, no online fees, and the blu ray player.  It is a no brainer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
If you're playing Call of Duty or Madden online you will have 0 problem finding a game online, ever.

You could also pay $50 a month to play online on XBox360, if you really want...or you can play it for free online on PS3.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »
The three reasons PS3 is better:

1.  PS3 is also a Blu-Ray Player
2.  PS3 comes with an internal wireless card (Xbox360 you have to buy it seperately for like $100 or stretch an ethernet cord 30 feet like its 2002 all over again).
3.  Online is free (yes, Xbox360 is more extensive, but its like $12/month)

PS3 is $299 and Xbox is $199, difference of $100 is worth it.  The rest is a wash (graphics, etc), though I do agree PS3's controllers are better as well.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
You could also pay $50 a month to play online on XBox360, if you really want...or you can play it for free online on PS3.

Instead of paying $50 a month to microsoft you could pay me and I will give them the $4.17/month that it actually costs and buy beer with the rest.

I have played both and have an xbox360. If you really don't care about large game selection and have a nice HD TV then I say get the ps3. I got the xbox for halo and because most people I know have xbox and I can play them online.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
I have an Xbox360... In hindsight I would have probably bought a ps3, but all of my friends have 360 and if I play online, I play with them.  BluRay doesn't mean a whole lot to me but I'm sure I'd be buying those DVDs if I had a ps3

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
Gamecube and a $29.99 Wal-Mart DVD player. 

If on average you play video games less than 15 minutes and watch about two movies a month, it's the way to go.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
Instead of paying $50 a month to microsoft you could pay me and I will give them the $4.17/month that it actually costs and buy beer with the rest.

I have played both and have an xbox360. If you really don't care about large game selection and have a nice HD TV then I say get the ps3. I got the xbox for halo and because most people I know have xbox and I can play them online.
Haha yeah sorry I meant $50 a year, rather than month.  There is a big difference there, but it is still too expensive (see: free).

Anyhow, it really comes down to personal preference.  I personally don't play a very large variety of games (Call of Duty is played the most, then Madden and MLB the Show - which is the best video game ever created, for any system - depending on what season it is...very small amounts of FIFA as well).  I personally have always liked PlayStations controllers more than any other.  My friends also have PS3s, but if more of your friends have XBox360 that may be the way to go.  If you have no friends, you won't have trouble finding people to play online on either system.

The blueray system and the free online gameplay are what PS3 has on XBox360, XBox360 has a larger variety of games, but, with the exception of Halo (which Call of Duty blows out of the water, anyway), PS3 has all of the best games that XBox360 has to offer, too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »
We have a PS3 since about 3 years ago.  Great machine, solid BluRay player.

They have their Netflix deal now (I assume Xbox does also).  We're working with Sony on some cool stuff as well.  Games are very cool because you can pack so much information on a bluray disc versus a HD disc (Xbox360 format).

Both are good systems, Xbox is cheaper.

We play online a lot with the PS3, no issues.  We do have it connected directly via an ethernet cable, though it does have wireless built in.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
We have a PS3 since about 3 years ago.  Great machine, solid BluRay player.

They have their Netflix deal now (I assume Xbox does also).  We're working with Sony on some cool stuff as well.  Games are very cool because you can pack so much information on a bluray disc versus a HD disc (Xbox360 format).

Both are good systems, Xbox is cheaper.

We play online a lot with the PS3, no issues.  We do have it connected directly via an ethernet cable, though it does have wireless built in.

The royal we?
BEARS STILL SUCK

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
The royal we?

It's the family's entertainment gaming system, along with a Wii.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
It's the family's entertainment gaming system, along with a Wii.

It was a lebowski reference. lol
BEARS STILL SUCK

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »
Live can be easily had for $30 for a year, stop using MSRP to try to make your point seem better. And you're paying for a better service. How do you guys like inserting your Netflix disc each time you want to stream a movie?  And PS3 has a more comfortable controller? Please.

Fact is, similar systems, similar games. Exclusives are far and few between. BluRay players cost less than $100 now and aren't in the shape of shiny oblong boxes that collect dust, so that is a moot point. MS has Natal coming out and PS has move. Will be interesting to see if they both just fizzle out like the gimmick that is the wii. 

Since you can't play online with friends with different systems, find out which one the majority of them has and buy that one.

You really can't go wrong either way. Just don't waste your money on a wii.   

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 09:16:44 AM »

If you have no friends, you won't have trouble finding people to play online on either system.

Hilarious. 

I've been a fan of Sony since the release of Playstation 1.  Currently own a PS3 and love it.  Yes there are fewer titles, but with the price of games being $59.99, you buy fewer of them and only pull the trigger on the worth while games anyways.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »

Clearly you have never played Mario Kart on the Wii.  Greatest game ever.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 09:33:33 AM »
I did. Back In 1992 when it was called Super Mario Kart and again in 1997 when they renamed it Mario Kart 64.

(seriously, I did play the wii version. Nothin special)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
Live can be easily had for $30 for a year, stop using MSRP to try to make your point seem better. And you're paying for a better service. How do you guys like inserting your Netflix disc each time you want to stream a movie?  And PS3 has a more comfortable controller? Please.

Fact is, similar systems, similar games. Exclusives are far and few between. BluRay players cost less than $100 now and aren't in the shape of shiny oblong boxes that collect dust, so that is a moot point. MS has Natal coming out and PS has move. Will be interesting to see if they both just fizzle out like the gimmick that is the wii. 

Since you can't play online with friends with different systems, find out which one the majority of them has and buy that one.

+1 on all accounts.

I have both. XBox Live is light years ahead of Playstation Network. Game exclusivity goes both ways between the systems, but 360 has more exclusive licenses. MLB The Show was the reason I got a PS3, I've picked up a few games for it, but it sits for the most part other than playing The Show.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »
It was a lebowski reference. lol

Sorry....great movie and I just didn't catch the reference. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
Clearly you have never played Mario Kart on the Wii.  Greatest game ever.

Exactly....Wii has been wonderful in our house.  It's definitely family fun, but if I were a single guy playing games, wouldn't like it either (then again, if I was a single guy I wouldn't be playing games)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
For my money there's no reason to buy a PS3.  BluRay is okay, but I'm not personally going to waste my money on overpriced disks.  I tend to download my content and both Xbox360 and the PS3 push out HD resolutions, so it's a push.

I like the xbox exclusive titles a bit more than the playstation titles, but that's all personal preference too.

I watch a ton of Netflix on my Xbox.  Sony wouldn't partner with Netflix to get the software natively integrated into their system so every time you want to watch a Netflix show you have to get your butt up off the couch and put in a Netflix disk to make it work.  Xbox360 has an app installed so I get to keep my lazy butt on my couch.  Getting up sucks, so I'd give the 360 a +1 for that.  Both the disk for the PS and the app for the 360 are free (it's just that one won't get scratched or break) so there's no big difference there.

The reason that BluRay doesn't mean anything to me is because I steal all of my movies and tv shows from the internet.  I use a service called PlayOn (which can integrate with the Xbox, PS or Wii) to watch Hulu, CBS, MLB and other streaming websites through my Xbox360.  This has allowed me to cancel cable entirely.  For a $29 one time fee that's saving me $150 a month I'd suggest giving the 14-day free trial a go.

Long story short: 
If you're a gamer, check out the exclusive titles because that's all that matters. 
If you're poor, get a Xbox360 and save yourself $100 (you can get the Xbox360 for as low as $190 and the PS3 for as low as $290 new from a quick check on Google Product Search). 
If you want a media center then decide if you care about BluRay or not. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »
Play on and a few others like it will have their days numbered very soon.   Just like newspapers online are starting to charge....once authentication kicks in later this year and next year for satellite, cable, telcos.....those days will be over in the format they are in today.  Yes, they will continue to "live", but the one time fees will be gone as will the free content.

Piracy will continue to exist but the crackdown coming there is going to be much like it was with music coming off peer to peer sites like Napster and Limewire.   It's coming.....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
Just don't waste your money on a wii.

As far as I know, you can't get "Cooking Mama" for PS3 or Xbox360.  Gotta have a Wii!

I guess once you have three daughters (and a son), your priorities for video games change.  We love our Wii, and our son makes do with an old game cube and a hand-me-down ps2.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
Play on and a few others like it will have their days numbered very soon.   Just like newspapers online are starting to charge....once authentication kicks in later this year and next year for satellite, cable, telcos.....those days will be over in the format they are in today.  Yes, they will continue to "live", but the one time fees will be gone as will the free content.

Piracy will continue to exist but the crackdown coming there is going to be much like it was with music coming off peer to peer sites like Napster and Limewire.   It's coming.....

I respectfully disagree.  Unless the backbone of the Internet is locked down by the government Piracy will always outpace DRM from content providers.  This thread probably isn't the best place to discuss that can of worms though :)

feedback