Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brutal Article on DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 10428 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
The General has taken on a new command.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Brutal Article on DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13136009/dollars-and-sense-coachhunting-ads-need-to-get-real

Does Gary Parish play a guido in his spare time?

By the way, did he say in that article that Indiana was one of the country's truly elite jobs?  This can't be right, I read here many times over that it's not.  Hmmm
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:43:12 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »
The article is a little over the top, time will tell if Barbee turns out good or Lavin turns out bad.  I also wouldn't excuse Oregon so easily, depends who they eventually get.

But who would even be considered a good hire for DePaul at this point.  Scott Drew?  Has he shot it down yet?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:49:13 PM »
the Barbee thing, if true, is horrible.  particularly considering that Auburn had the same dream coach conundrum in chasing Tubby Smith. (while I will concede that Tubby obviously never jumped on the job, i do think that where there's smoke, there's fire, and tubby was in conversations of some kind).  

Assuming some sort of contact with Tubby, Auburn was presumably closer to landing Tubby than DePaul to landing Howland or Dixon. Yet they managed to get everything figured out in time to leap ahead of DePaul in the line for Barbee.  Just a clear comparative case of one school performing a better search and pursuit than another.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
Ouch

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
FWIW, here's the link to the DePaul coach listing on their website.  It's even got a link to apply online!

https://jobs-depaul.icims.com/jobs/16142/job
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
I can't stand Parrish in general and this furthers my distaste.  He has no idea how this is gonna play out, but is going overboard because he has a "source" that said DePaul is aiming high.  Wasn't Auburn and St john's doing the same thing.  Nothing wrong with going for the best and ending up with a lesser candidate.

He aslo keeps on talking about how big the Nike pull is at Oregon, but then lists all the coaches who have passed on Oregon.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:37 PM »
By the way, did he say in that article that Indiana was one of the country's truly elite jobs?  This can't be right, I read here many times over that it's not.  Hmmm

That's funny, because I read here today that IU is a program comparable to Baylor. Can that be right? I guess IU is only an elite program when it conveniently fits an argument.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
That's funny, because I read here today that IU is a program comparable to Baylor. Can that be right? I guess IU is only an elite program when it conveniently fits an argument.

My guess is most pundits will say it's an elite national program and most people here that hate Crean will says it's comparable to Butler.  This is just an educated guess, however.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
Speaking of brutal Depaul coaching articles, this was in today's Daily Herald (suburban Chicago newspaper):

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=369430

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Speaking of brutal Depaul coaching articles, this was in today's Daily Herald (suburban Chicago newspaper):

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=369430

Can't we file that one under brutal columnists, or at the very least, brutal opinions.   Talk about painting with a broad brush.  There are almost 350 DI basketball teams, and the vast vast vast majority aren't running around cheating like this guy is talking about.  Sure there are some and there will always be some, but he's essentially saying to skirt the issues, take a chance, it's worth the risk.  What a tool

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
with such a job shortage all across the country, can't we get some promising journalism major into that guy's position? itd be tough not to be better than that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »
No one answered the question I posed yesterday....what would the Chicago media have done if DePaul kept the cards close to the vest and ended up hiring Tony Jones?

In my mind, DePaul is screwed either way because the nature of the Chicago media is like the New York media.  They're going to bitch and whine either way.

If they shoot for the moon and publicly do it, the media will pounce if they don't get a great hire.  If they don't show any of their cards and end up with a non-descript coach, the media will slam them for not doing enough, for not shooting for the moon.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37:22 PM »
They really screwed the pooch on the Barbee/Rod Strickland combination. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:49 PM »
No one answered the question I posed yesterday....what would the Chicago media have done if DePaul kept the cards close to the vest and ended up hiring Tony Jones?

Honestly, not much. DePaul barely gets any coverage here in Chicago to begin with. Its quite sad, that a Big East school has basically no presence with any of its hometown media.

If they hired Jones, you would have gotten an article or two about DePaul being cheap, not willing to commit to the Big East, that program needs more resources, etc. But, there would be no firestorm or outrage... That's how far DePaul has fallen. It would be a side story, especially with Hawks and Bulls in the playoff run and baseball season set to begin. It would barely register on the Chicago sports radar.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
FWIW, here's the link to the DePaul coach listing on their website.  It's even got a link to apply online!

https://jobs-depaul.icims.com/jobs/16142/job

Well then, it's not DePaul's fault.  Barbee should have applied online!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »

In my mind, DePaul is screwed either way because the nature of the Chicago media is like the New York media.  They're going to bitch and whine either way.

If they shoot for the moon and publicly do it, the media will pounce if they don't get a great hire.  If they don't show any of their cards and end up with a non-descript coach, the media will slam them for not doing enough, for not shooting for the moon.

I read your post and decided not to get into a debate about it.  Honestly, the negative publicity is still publicity theme doesn't fly for me.  I think if they came out with Tony Jones now, they would be a laughingstock.  If they did so without making a big deal of it, people would shrug their shoulders, give them the benefit of the doubt, and get back on the bandwagon if they win.

Instead the administration is being absolutely roasted.  No one wants to be roasted.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »
Interesting quote from the CBS article:

"It's not a coincidence that we haven't seen a comfortable and well-compensated BCS-level coach leave for anything but one of the nation's truly elite jobs (i.e., Indiana and Kentucky) since John Beilein left West Virginia for Michigan in 2007."

I believe the man is saying that Marquette had "a comfortable and well-compensated BCS-level coach", back in the day when Crean ruled the Al!

Pay the man, ...er Guido, Shirley.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
with such a job shortage all across the country, can't we get some promising journalism major into that guy's position? itd be tough not to be better than that.

Here's the real shocker, the guy writing the article is actually the SPORTS EDITOR for the Daily Herald.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »

I read your post and decided not to get into a debate about it.  Honestly, the negative publicity is still publicity theme doesn't fly for me.  I think if they came out with Tony Jones now, they would be a laughingstock.  If they did so without making a big deal of it, people would shrug their shoulders, give them the benefit of the doubt, and get back on the bandwagon if they win.

Instead the administration is being absolutely roasted.  No one wants to be roasted.

Seems to me they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  I'm happy for St. John's.  They got a high profile guy who has won at a major powerhouse school, I hope it works for them.  We'll see what DePaul does, but I tip my hat to these schools willing to go big.  If they strike out swinging, so what, they went after it which deserves a nod considering who they have had in the recent past.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:01:05 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
That is fine thinking that way, but reality doesn't work that way.  There a finite number of qualified good fit "hot" coaches looking to move up a level (even fewer BCS coaches looking to switch).  There are more BCS level job openings than candidates to get excited about.  I would have liked to add Steve Jobs to my IT company sales staff, but I'm thinking he has better stuff to do, so instead I made a decision on hiring another high level employee I knew was in the market. If I would have waited for Steve's answer the other guy would have taken another offer.  Simple supply and demand theory doesn't support their process.

The "so what" if they strike out is the get a mid level guy that nobody is excited about and they are stuck for the next 3-4 years. That is a big "so what".

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:21:14 AM by dw3dw3dw3 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »
Seems to me they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  I'm happy for St. John's.  They got a high profile guy who has won at a major powerhouse school, I hope it works for them.  We'll see what DePaul does, but I tip my hat to these schools willing to go big.  If they strike out swinging, so what, they went after it which deserves a nod considering who they have had in the recent past.

Even if the plan was to aim high and bring in a big name coach, it was a mistake to say that publicly without being 100% certain that they were going to be able to bring in said big name coach. Therein lies the problem. The DePaul administration truly believed they'd lure in a big fish. Unfortunately, they were living in a fantasy land and now are venturing dangerously close to laughingstock status.

They would have been better off keeping things simple and saying that they're going to bring in a coach who is the best fit for the program and who they believe is most capable coach of returning DePaul to basketball glory. Yes, that would likely result in a collective yawn from the Chicago media but there are times when a canned, generic response is the best way to go. Plus, as long as they bring in the right guy, who cares?

If they truly want to rebuild DePaul into a contender, they'd bring in the coach who best fits into their plans, regardless of his national status. If they simply want to get attention from the media, they'd hire Pat Summit...(except she'd probably down the job).

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »

I have said this before, the DePaul AD is a joke. no clue about how difficult a job DePAul really is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
When the program is that beat up, that far in the dumps, you have nothing to lose by DePaul to make those comments.  If the program has some stature, then obviously you don't make the comments.

They are a complete afterthought in Chicago, their fans are pissed, they want to believe that something could happen.  I'm sure that was their thinking.  They would have been killed either way by the press.

If they hire a low level coach, everyone blasts them for thinking small time.  The articles come out that they should get out of the Big East, blah blah blah.  Hell, the articles are probably already written with a { } to fill in said coach's name. 

Or they try to hit the home run.   In DePaul's case, I don't see the downside....what's going to happen, they'll lose prestige?  LOL.  They'll lose fans?  LOL.  They'll lose the Chicago media?  LOL.   

There is nothing for them to lose so why not aim big....there is zero downside because they are already absolute rock bottom