[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Locked him up.....  (Read 8801 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: Locked him up.....
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
Still not sure why there isn't a retractable roof on there.  They do plan on playing through October, and it is in Minnesota, right? I understand wanting to avoid the sterile nature of a dome and keep some open air, but there's going to be many a postponement I feel like.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
Still not sure why there isn't a retractable roof on there. 

$$$$

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
$$$$

I get what you are saying, but what about all the lost revenue for every home game from April and May a few years down the road the shine of the new stadium has worn off.  Sure, years 1 and and most likely 2, fans won't care, but yikes after that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
I get what you are saying, but what about all the lost revenue for every home game from April and May a few years down the road the shine of the new stadium has worn off.  Sure, years 1 and and most likely 2, fans won't care, but yikes after that.

When I lived in Rochester, I went to Twins games all the time (5-10 games/year).  We always bought tickets in advance and planned for the games knowing that baseball would always be played.  Granted, Rochester is just a bit over an hour away (longer if you stop in Coates  ;D ), but with Target Field opening I certainly wouldn't buy tickets in advance for any April/May games and may even wait until the day of or before to commit to buying tickets for a game (and by then, I may already have other plans).  Who wants to risk driving 2-3 hours for nothing, especially if you have kids in the car?

Miller Park has drawn 3M+ fans partly due to the fact that they've had a decent team on the field the past couple years but mostly due to the fact that they are drawing people in from all over the state who buy tickets knowing  that baseball will be played that day.  Maybe MSP is different.  Maybe the majority of their ticket-buyers are in the metro-area.  Maybe Twins fans just don't care what the weather is going to be like.

The Target Field honeymoon won't last forever, and if the on-field production drops off, I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins are drawing Marlin-esque crowds for three months (half) of the season.  That no-trade clause may come back to bite Jimmy P in the behind.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:53:33 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »
I get what you are saying, but what about all the lost revenue for every home game from April and May a few years down the road the shine of the new stadium has worn off.  Sure, years 1 and and most likely 2, fans won't care, but yikes after that.

I agree...they raised the county tax for the new park and there was only so much they could do before it was too much and the people said no...on the same note the billionaire owner(s) would not pony up the extra $$$ for the moving roof.

In the mid '90's they were lucky to have 3,000 people at the games.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »
When I lived in Rochester,... (longer if you stop in Coates  ;D )

Is the K.O.D. in Coates?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »

Is the K.O.D. in Coates?

Inver Grove Heights.......the city closed down the club in Coates.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »

That's right.  I should know that as I used to work on S Robert Trail
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »

It's been a while since I was up that way.  Suffice to say, I don't miss it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
In the mid '90's they were lucky to have 3,000 people at the games.

Really?  I mean, the official attendance average for 94-95-96 ranges between 14-17,000.  If only 3000 were showing up, that's an unbelievable amount of no-shows.

Target field will do fine. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
Really?  I mean, the official attendance average for 94-95-96 ranges between 14-17,000.  If only 3000 were showing up, that's an unbelievable amount of no-shows.

Target field will do fine. 

To clarify...I should have said the games in late August and September of the mid to late '90's there were about 3-4,000 actually at the game.

They have already sold 2.6 million tickets of the 3.2 million available for the upcoming year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »

Perv.  Are you going on Saturday?  (To the Gophers ballgame, not KOD or some other smut shop)   I still have not toured the new ballpark.. might have to wander over.

I think we might have another wild one this year with your ChiSux and the Consensus Twins in a late September and/or October battle.. should be fun.  

I hope to be at many games this year, mostly to b1tch about the weather and secondarily to try out Senor Smokes.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
Perv.  Are you going on Saturday?  (To the Gophers ballgame, not KOD or some other smut shop)   I still have not toured the new ballpark.. might have to wander over.

I think we might have another wild one this year with your ChiSux and the Consensus Twins in a late September and/or October battle.. should be fun.  

I hope to be at many games this year, mostly to b1tch about the weather and secondarily to try out Senor Smokes.

Honestly never been to KOD but have been to Coates a long time ago.  Definitely going to the game on Saturday for $2.  Park opens 4 hours before gametime.

And it looks like the Sox are the Consensus:

Chicago White Sox  +150     

Cleveland Indians  +800     

Detroit Tigers  +350     

Kansas City Royals  +1500     

Minnesota Twins  +175 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »
As a huge Tigers fan, congratulations to the Twins on holding on to Mauer.   Keeping the hometown hero is huge.    The hometown discount helped some, sure, but they really had to sign him.   The PR impact if he had left for NYY/NYM/Bos would have been immense.  And I think it will be a 3 team race.   I despaired when Polanco/Granderson/Jackson all left, but the youngsters are coming along, Damon will have a very positive influence in the clubhouse, and the starting pitching looks healthy.   With MU done, I am counting down the days until opening day.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
Just got back from the Target Field Open House aka Louisiana Tech thrashing of the Gophers.  I liked the overhangs on the lower level - it affords an opportunity to stay out of the dreadful sun... had to stop at Senor Smokes to... two beef tacos for $5 was reasonable priced (relatively speaking) but not very good.. beans in the taco?  c'mon.. it was beans, a little beef, a lotta cilantro. 

The park looks good.. can't wait for the big boys to start playing... A basic draft beer was $7... was hoping it wouldn't be $8 so I can't complain.  Grill dog with onions and chips ... $5.25

Seats face the field nicely throughout.. and seem just a little larger than the Dome... in the outfield, there is some bench (with backs) seating... hard to tell, but with a full house it seems like it might be a little tight..

SPWarrior - I was standing in a beer line and saw a guy walking the concourse with a Sox hat.. 'Grumpy's'?  on the sweatshirt... could have been some other weirdo Sox fans in attendance, but I bet that was you...

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »

SPWarrior - I was standing in a beer line and saw a guy walking the concourse with a Sox hat.. 'Grumpy's'?  on the sweatshirt... could have been some other weirdo Sox fans in attendance, but I bet that was you...

Not me.....no hat (I don't own a Sox hat) and a Guinness sweatshirt.  Park is beautiful but those seats in the upper deck are way up there.