collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Locked him up.....  (Read 8789 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Locked him up.....
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
Joe Mauer is now a Twin for 8 more years. This is really helping me to deal with the season being over for MU.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Locked him up.....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
go crew

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »
Mauer and company will continue to own the crew this year. Sorry.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
Twins locking up Mauer in a long term contract gives me some faith that the Brewers can lock up Fielder for a big contract. It shows that us small market teams can, in fact, compete with the big guys for the great players.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:58:05 PM »
8 years 184 Million....23 M/ year.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
Isn't the Twins owner one of the wealthiest in baseball? I know he is worth far more than steinbrenner

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »
Yes he (Carl Pohlad, went to Gonzaga) was until he passed away recently...now his 3 sons (I think at least two of them if not all 3 also went to Gonzaga) are in charge.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:06:51 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Yes he (Carl Pohlad, went to Gonzaga) was until he passed away recently...now his 3 sons (I think at least two of them if not all 3 also went to Gonzaga) are in charge.

His son?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
His son?

Bill Pohlad who runs the day to day of the Twins was born in 1953.  Must be an old pic of him there.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:21:02 PM »
Carl Pohlad was the worst owner ever, and his sons arnt any better. Yes he was one of the richest and richer than Steinbrenner but he only gave a damn about himself. This year we are finally spending money and have the 10th highest Payroll, that will no increase even more over the years with the Mauer signing. I love it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »
Joe Mauer is now a Twin for 8 more years. This is really helping me to deal with the season being over for MU.

He's a great, great, great player.  Nice move by the Twins

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
The Twins brass needs to make sure Joe doesn't get on the cover of SI and any MLB video games. They need all the luck they can get after losing Nathan for the season.

Ooops. Too late.
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
So pleased Mauer will stay in MN.  He went to my high school, and is clearly the favorite son of Minnesota.

We were in Florida three weeks ago and stopped by the Twins spring training .. great experience.  Shameless plug of a photo .. lucky to snap this of my son .. 15 feet over his left shoulder is Joe Mauer, perfectly framed in chain link.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
Bill Pohlad who runs the day to day of the Twins was born in 1953.  Must be an old pic of him there.

Either that should have been in teal or someone has never seen Little Big League.

Little Big League, Not quite the Sandlot, Not quite Rookie of the Year, a bit better than Angles in the Outfield.... but I fear I've opened up a whole new debate.

romey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
How 'bout we change this thread title to "lock it up".  not sure how this is an MU hoops story.
Personally, I don't care, but some of the threads I've seen sent to the Super bar, had a lot more to do with hoops than this one.  Just an observation.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
This thread rules and is the most important thread til next season i dont want it move, garbage.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 07:33:13 AM »
8 years is a good length too, because he should be playing catcher for a majority of those years.  for a while people were talking that it would have to be double digit years, which gets you into potential trouble because Mauer wouldn't likely be able to log a majority of those years at C.  this way, he will almost certainly have to get some time at 1B, maybe even most of his time toward the tail end of the deal, but the relative value you get from his position will remain pretty high.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:50:35 AM by MUBurrow »

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
8 years 184 Million....23 M/ year.

Well played, Mauer...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Either that should have been in teal or someone has never seen Little Big League.

Nope never saw it.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
It will be great to see Mauer as a Twin for the rest of his career.  He passed up a lot of money by staying with the twins.  He easially could have gotten 30 million more if the Mets, Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox got into a bidding war over him.  Go Twins!

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »
Well played, Mauer...

+1...I fracking love those commercials!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
It will be great to see Mauer as a Twin for the rest of his career.  He passed up a lot of money by staying with the twins.  He easially could have gotten 30 million more if the Mets, Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox got into a bidding war over him.  Go Twins!

I don't actually believe that Mauer gave up that much money. I think he would command right around $24-25 million on the open market.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
And let's be honest, when the Twinkies are in cellar of the AL Central because 1/3 of their payroll is devoted to one guy, he will get that itch that he wants a ring.  Yanks, Sox, or Mets by 2015.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:34 AM »
And let's be honest, when the Twinkies are in cellar of the AL Central because 1/3 of their payroll is devoted to one guy, he will get that itch that he wants a ring.  Yanks, Sox, or Mets by 2015.

Somehow, the Twins have done quite well with low payrolls .. what, they've racked up 5 of 7 (?) division championships recently, with two larger market teams in their div.

Plus, Target Field will bring in a significant new revenue stream.

Not worried.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
Target Field will bring in a significant new revenue stream.

And it is beautiful.

The U of Minn. baseball team is playing a game there this Saturday vs. Louisiana Tech.  Tickets are $2 and go on sale at 8am, gates open at 9am and game starts at 1pm.  Sort of an open house for the new park. 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
Still not sure why there isn't a retractable roof on there.  They do plan on playing through October, and it is in Minnesota, right? I understand wanting to avoid the sterile nature of a dome and keep some open air, but there's going to be many a postponement I feel like.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
Still not sure why there isn't a retractable roof on there. 

$$$$

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
$$$$

I get what you are saying, but what about all the lost revenue for every home game from April and May a few years down the road the shine of the new stadium has worn off.  Sure, years 1 and and most likely 2, fans won't care, but yikes after that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
I get what you are saying, but what about all the lost revenue for every home game from April and May a few years down the road the shine of the new stadium has worn off.  Sure, years 1 and and most likely 2, fans won't care, but yikes after that.

When I lived in Rochester, I went to Twins games all the time (5-10 games/year).  We always bought tickets in advance and planned for the games knowing that baseball would always be played.  Granted, Rochester is just a bit over an hour away (longer if you stop in Coates  ;D ), but with Target Field opening I certainly wouldn't buy tickets in advance for any April/May games and may even wait until the day of or before to commit to buying tickets for a game (and by then, I may already have other plans).  Who wants to risk driving 2-3 hours for nothing, especially if you have kids in the car?

Miller Park has drawn 3M+ fans partly due to the fact that they've had a decent team on the field the past couple years but mostly due to the fact that they are drawing people in from all over the state who buy tickets knowing  that baseball will be played that day.  Maybe MSP is different.  Maybe the majority of their ticket-buyers are in the metro-area.  Maybe Twins fans just don't care what the weather is going to be like.

The Target Field honeymoon won't last forever, and if the on-field production drops off, I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins are drawing Marlin-esque crowds for three months (half) of the season.  That no-trade clause may come back to bite Jimmy P in the behind.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:53:33 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »
I get what you are saying, but what about all the lost revenue for every home game from April and May a few years down the road the shine of the new stadium has worn off.  Sure, years 1 and and most likely 2, fans won't care, but yikes after that.

I agree...they raised the county tax for the new park and there was only so much they could do before it was too much and the people said no...on the same note the billionaire owner(s) would not pony up the extra $$$ for the moving roof.

In the mid '90's they were lucky to have 3,000 people at the games.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »
When I lived in Rochester,... (longer if you stop in Coates  ;D )

Is the K.O.D. in Coates?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »

Is the K.O.D. in Coates?

Inver Grove Heights.......the city closed down the club in Coates.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »

That's right.  I should know that as I used to work on S Robert Trail
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »

It's been a while since I was up that way.  Suffice to say, I don't miss it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
In the mid '90's they were lucky to have 3,000 people at the games.

Really?  I mean, the official attendance average for 94-95-96 ranges between 14-17,000.  If only 3000 were showing up, that's an unbelievable amount of no-shows.

Target field will do fine. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
Really?  I mean, the official attendance average for 94-95-96 ranges between 14-17,000.  If only 3000 were showing up, that's an unbelievable amount of no-shows.

Target field will do fine. 

To clarify...I should have said the games in late August and September of the mid to late '90's there were about 3-4,000 actually at the game.

They have already sold 2.6 million tickets of the 3.2 million available for the upcoming year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »

Perv.  Are you going on Saturday?  (To the Gophers ballgame, not KOD or some other smut shop)   I still have not toured the new ballpark.. might have to wander over.

I think we might have another wild one this year with your ChiSux and the Consensus Twins in a late September and/or October battle.. should be fun.  

I hope to be at many games this year, mostly to b1tch about the weather and secondarily to try out Senor Smokes.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
Perv.  Are you going on Saturday?  (To the Gophers ballgame, not KOD or some other smut shop)   I still have not toured the new ballpark.. might have to wander over.

I think we might have another wild one this year with your ChiSux and the Consensus Twins in a late September and/or October battle.. should be fun.  

I hope to be at many games this year, mostly to b1tch about the weather and secondarily to try out Senor Smokes.

Honestly never been to KOD but have been to Coates a long time ago.  Definitely going to the game on Saturday for $2.  Park opens 4 hours before gametime.

And it looks like the Sox are the Consensus:

Chicago White Sox  +150     

Cleveland Indians  +800     

Detroit Tigers  +350     

Kansas City Royals  +1500     

Minnesota Twins  +175 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »
As a huge Tigers fan, congratulations to the Twins on holding on to Mauer.   Keeping the hometown hero is huge.    The hometown discount helped some, sure, but they really had to sign him.   The PR impact if he had left for NYY/NYM/Bos would have been immense.  And I think it will be a 3 team race.   I despaired when Polanco/Granderson/Jackson all left, but the youngsters are coming along, Damon will have a very positive influence in the clubhouse, and the starting pitching looks healthy.   With MU done, I am counting down the days until opening day.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
Just got back from the Target Field Open House aka Louisiana Tech thrashing of the Gophers.  I liked the overhangs on the lower level - it affords an opportunity to stay out of the dreadful sun... had to stop at Senor Smokes to... two beef tacos for $5 was reasonable priced (relatively speaking) but not very good.. beans in the taco?  c'mon.. it was beans, a little beef, a lotta cilantro. 

The park looks good.. can't wait for the big boys to start playing... A basic draft beer was $7... was hoping it wouldn't be $8 so I can't complain.  Grill dog with onions and chips ... $5.25

Seats face the field nicely throughout.. and seem just a little larger than the Dome... in the outfield, there is some bench (with backs) seating... hard to tell, but with a full house it seems like it might be a little tight..

SPWarrior - I was standing in a beer line and saw a guy walking the concourse with a Sox hat.. 'Grumpy's'?  on the sweatshirt... could have been some other weirdo Sox fans in attendance, but I bet that was you...

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »

SPWarrior - I was standing in a beer line and saw a guy walking the concourse with a Sox hat.. 'Grumpy's'?  on the sweatshirt... could have been some other weirdo Sox fans in attendance, but I bet that was you...

Not me.....no hat (I don't own a Sox hat) and a Guinness sweatshirt.  Park is beautiful but those seats in the upper deck are way up there.

feedback