[June 10, 2024, 07:34:38 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I believe Wisconsin has played 2 teams over .500 in the last month....  (Read 4482 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
and lost them both.  Even in the Big 10, which is sooo bad the string of Minnesota's, Northwestern's, and Penn State's eventually runs out. 

The Lens

• All American
Re: I believe Wisconsin has played 2 teams over .500 in the last month....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:06:37 PM »
Winning at MSU is like winning at UL...its always tough.

Regardless of who they have played - they are still pretty damn good and beat us on our homecourt.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:13:58 PM »
Agree WI is a good team and without a total collapse I think they are a lock for one of the #1 seeds but does the lack of good competative games hurt them come tournament time.  I have been thinking that our recent struggles against good competition might be better preperation.  Not on the same scale but at least in the Big 11 this year some comparisions to Memphis and CUSA>

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »
yes they beat us... in early December... lets face it though... the past two months, they have been nothing special... and lose to anyone decent that they play
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »
Perhaps two of the reasons they have looked so good:
1. They have not had a player foul out all year.
2. Their opponents have been charged with 210 more fouls they they have.
It's a little easier to win when you get every call every time, home or away. Still, they are a very good team--deep and well-coached.
BTW, Bo had a great line in today's JS about the Big Ten and the tournament. "I'm hoping for eight but pushing for six (teams)," he said. Dream on, Bo. You have TWO teams in the Top 25.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »
If they lose to OSU on Sunday, I think the only way they get a Number 1 seed is by winning the B10 tournament - they will very simply have failed all of their real conference tests. Wins at Iowa or at Illinois? Please. OSU would be a lock. Same with UCLA and probably Florida. After that it would come down to UNC and UW. I suspect the RPI and SOS numbers would heavily favor UNC at that point.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
Perhaps two of the reasons they have looked so good:
1. They have not had a player foul out all year.
2. Their opponents have been charged with 210 more fouls they they have.
It's a little easier to win when you get every call every time, home or away.

There may be a reason they "get" calls home & away.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 09:09:30 PM »
They lost their number 1 seed tonight.  Need to beat Ohio St. to get it back.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 09:44:45 PM »
There schedule just does not even come close to the schedule that those other likely #1 played the last two months.  Compare there games against Florida, NC, UCLA, Kansas etc

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
Agree that they lost their number one seed tonight. Only reason Big Televen has #1 and #2 ranked teams is because it is so brutal.  Bucky needs to beat OSU and make big ten tourney finals to get it back.

Florida throttled O$U earlier yet is ranked behind them.  Bucky can be exposed on the road... totally outrebounded tonight, don't get the calls they get at home.  Good to see Bo get T'd up early.... it was almost as if the ref was telling him to shut his whiney yapper.  Bucky's premier road win is over Georgia seeing as their fans don't see their win over MU as a quality win.   ::)  Road wins over Illinois and Iowa don't mean much this year. 

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »
If they lose to OSU on Sunday, I think the only way they get a Number 1 seed is by winning the B10 tournament - they will very simply have failed all of their real conference tests. Wins at Iowa or at Illinois? Please.

Failed all their real conference tests?  They're the lone team to beat OSU in the B10 this year, no?  Plus, while not in conference, their Ws over us and Pitt were pretty impressive, too.

I'm not defending the B10 at all -- they're clearly 'down' this year, and will probably get four in (OSU, Wiscy, Indy, MSU -- UofI needs a bit of luck, especially with Smith out for the rest of the year), but I don't see how you can bash their top two, specifically the Badgers.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »
I agree the baajrs and osu are for real-but, #'s 1 and 2?  maybe not.  the uw road woes are historical, going back as far as you want (they were lucky to escape at Northwestern) and I wish we could have played them on a true 'home court'.  I guess the big question for me is "why am I not enjoying MSU's win more?"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 08:28:05 AM »

Failed all their real conference tests?  They're the lone team to beat OSU in the B10 this year, no? 

Yes, they beat OSU in Madison by three points. Beyond that, their real conference tests have consisted of road games against Indiana and MSU - lost 'em both (I suppose you could throw Illinois in there as well  :-\). I am not bashing anybody, they are a good team - simply pointing out their resume does not make them Number 1 seed worthy. Losing to OSU on Sunday will further expose that reality. You want a number 1 seed you better get some quality W's on the road, because beating up on the likes of Minnestota, Northwetern and Penn State isn't going to get it done.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 09:48:08 AM »
Either OSU or Wisconsin is going to get a #1 seed.  I don't see how both will.  There's a better chance that both will be 2 seeds than 1 seeds.

The Big Ten is down and I don't see how anyone but those 2 plus Indy and MSU get in.  The MSU victory was predictable last night as MSU badly needed the win and Wisc was due to lose as they were just voted #1.  Iowa, Mich, Ill and Purdue are all NIT bound.  Only chance is Mich but I don't see it.

"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »
I think if Georgetown wins outs... and then wins the BE tournament... you have to make them a 1 seed, with UCLA, Florida and UNC, barring any meltdowns....  Have to reward teams that have to fight in their conference
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
WI COULD be the first #1 seed to lose in the opening round... now that would be something to remind them of year-in and year-out  ;D

which reminds me of a cool running side-bet concept..
A former co-worker of mine has a pool with his brother.. every year for the last 10+ years they've each been putting $100 into a joint account and then they divide up the #1 seeds among the two of them.. if one of their #1 seeds loses their opening round game, they get the "jackpot" in the account.  Since it's never happened, it's gotta be at around four or five thousand dollars by now.  and someday if it does happen it'll be a nice payout.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 03:07:58 PM by spiral97 »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
WI COULD be the first #1 seed to lose in the opening round...

Now that's optimism! Something to root for.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »
Wisconsin looks like a good team because Wisconsin IS a good team.  Unfortunately, their conference isn't doing them any favors getting ready for the NCAAs.  Ohio State will be a great test and prep for them, win or lose.  They will not end up lowever than a 2 seed, though, and they will have no trouble advancing to the Sweet 16 as a 1 or 2 seed.  After that, I think it will be dicey for them (but isn't it for everybody in rounds 3 and 4?)
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »
Seems like Ryan has a hard time developing big men - consider Barro's progress vs. Butch.
Barro 8pts/7rebs
Butch 9pts/6 rebs
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »
I'll take Barro's heart over Butch's whining any day of the week too.  ;D