Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How do you treat MU in your brackets?  (Read 4414 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
How do you treat MU in your brackets?
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
Just curious if anyone out there has a particular way they deal with having to pick MU games in their brackets. I know people who always have them going all the way and others who just try to go with their head over their heart as best they can. Knowing I wouldn't be happy with either of those, I always pick them to lose the first time its even remotely feasible. (essentially if theyre a 4 seed or lower)  Not that I think they will, but it eliminates my existential battle of trying to balance my head over my heart early.  Plus, having a consistent philosophy makes it easy to just get the pick out of the way and get back to ringing out ahoya.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: How do you treat MU in your brackets?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
Two Brackets: Final 4 and Elite 8. I sure picked a good day to give up hallucinogens!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:22 AM »
dude, nothing lower than elite 8!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »
When filling out my brackets I always try to take my enormous homerism towards MU out of the equation.  Because I just want to win and brag all year long about how I again won the bracket challenge against my buddies.  This year was interesting.  Normally I take the approach to the MU game as follows:  If someone held a gun to your head and made you bet on the MU game who would you take?  I still had no answer, I honestly thought it was a toss up.  So I just picked MU.  Same for the second round game against NMS.  I picked MU but thought it was a toss up as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »
When filling out my brackets I always try to take my enormous homerism towards MU out of the equation.  Because I just want to win and brag all year long about how I again won the bracket challenge against my buddies.  This year was interesting.  Normally I take the approach to the MU game as follows:  If someone held a gun to your head and made you bet on the MU game who would you take?  I still had no answer, I honestly thought it was a toss up.  So I just picked MU.  Same for the second round game against NMS.  I picked MU but thought it was a toss up as well.

I did the same, but pretended Buzz was holding the gun.  So we win it all.  Not my fault.  blame buzz!

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:09:42 AM »
Going to the Elite 8.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
I usually have them winning 1 or no games.  That way if they go farther, I'm pumped Marquete is going that far and don''t care about my brackets.  If they lose, my brackets are still intact.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
My "dream" bracket consists of Wisconsin beating Kentucky.  This would have Marquette's possible run to the championship game look like this WVU(winnable, esp with Thuggins tourney track record)-UW(I say we get the best of them after a disappointing early season game)-Nova(A team we stick with no matter what).  We then subsequently get blown out by Kansas  :'(.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »
by a miracle (due to our lack of depth) mu goes to the sweet 16, but no further...that was when my brain told my heart to STFU.

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
Sweet Sixteen in both pools I entered.  I agree with TallTitan in terms of picking them to bow out early in the brackets and then being ecstatic if they go further.  This year, I truly believe I remained objective in picking them to win two games.  Okay, as "objective" as possible.........

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:13 AM »
by a miracle (due to our lack of depth) mu goes to the sweet 16, but no further...that was when my brain told my heart to STFU.

Would lack of depth be a factor when they have a bunch of days off before they actually play the sweet 16 game?

Also: I can not stress enough how hard it is for me to put a Huggins team in the elite 8 and beyond.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:36:58 AM by g0lden3agle »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
I have an Marquette Revenge Tour bracket.  Beating Wisco, WVU, and eventually Syracuse for the championship. 

Syracuse instead of Kansas, though both make revenge sweet.  We haven't beaten Syracuse since joining the BE.  And Kansas, well... we just didn't have our game that day. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
I feel like a homer for doing it, but I have them in the Elite 8. I honestly believe if they get to that game against WVU, they will win it. Problem is, I am less confident about the UW game than I am NM or WVU. But, I had to pick them to win tonight. That is probably my heart at work, but I think picking them to win the next two comes from my head.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
Losing to Kentucky.  Just like in 2003.   ;D
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:25 AM »
Would lack of depth be a factor when they have a bunch of days off before they actually play the sweet 16 game?

Also: I can not stress enough how hard it is for me to put a Huggins team in the elite 8 and beyond.

guess i wasn't especially clear -- we overcome our lack of depth (miracle) to get to the sweet 16. 

depth has little to do with us losing to WV.  as much as i hate thuggins and think he'll choke, i also think that WV as a team had an aberration of a game against us. WV will give us a good whuppin' in the tourney if we meet up.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
I feel like a homer for doing it, but I have them in the Elite 8. I honestly believe if they get to that game against WVU, they will win it. Problem is, I am less confident about the UW game than I am NM or WVU. But, I had to pick them to win tonight. That is probably my heart at work, but I think picking them to win the next two comes from my head.
+1 - Agree with this entirely.  I'm about 95% confident that the winner of MU/UW beats New Mexico - Ken Pomroy would put his confidence rating on that as probably 85% - as New Mexico is ranked 47 compared to MU and UW at 28/29 respectively.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
If I only do one bracket, I'll keep it pretty real.  I have MU in the Sweet 16, but no farther. 

If I do more, I'll have one MU in the Championship Game special.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »
I do 3 brackets each year.  Robotic (it's basically picking soley on Sagarin \ Pomeroy data), the other two are a combo of my heart, brain, nerves, etc.

In one bracket I have Marquette losing today
In the other two I have them going to the Sweet 16

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
From 16 to the top... ESPN asked me to fill out another bracket and I said 'Yes'.  National Champs baby.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
I have an Marquette Revenge Tour bracket.  Beating Wisco, WVU, and eventually Syracuse for the championship.

I also have a revenge tournament bracket.  However, it avenges four losses on the season.  We start with West Virginia, then Wisconsin, then Notre Damn and finally Pittsburgh.  Yeah Baby!

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
Losing to Kentucky.  Just like in 2003.   ;D

We rocked Kentucky in 03.

sidenote- I have Kentucky losing to Wis? Bad idea? I just thought Kentucky was too young and is gunna get to cocky.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »
I have MU bowing out in the Sweet 16, and I'm not happy about the pick. It's amazing; the game that gave me the hardest time in the first round, that I spent more time going back and forth on was the one with the team I've been watching all year. Maybe it's because you're your own worst critic?

Dream is MU in the Final Four, knocking off Wisconsin and Missouri in a revenge game (Living in St. Louis the past three years has given me a deep hatred of Mizzou fans. Last year's tourney exit only made it worse. They are the worst. They are almost as bad as Badger fans.)
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:14 AM »
National Champs. Write it down.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
Going with my heart, baby!  Lose in the finals to Kansas. 

The way this team plays, each game is at least a toss up and there is no 4 games in 4 days crap.  Plenty of time to recover and prepare for each game. 

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »
gut, research, favorite, sleeper