'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stats help, need to find a list of top scorers for the tourney teams  (Read 1630 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
I'm in a pool this year where you draft 10 players and whosever drafted team has the most total points (not average) wins.  The draft is in a few hours, and I haven't found any which only pulls players on tourney teams.

Anyone know of a good link for scoring averages of only tourney-bound players?  I'll then weight the players for the teams expected to go far.

Thanks in advance

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Stats help, need to find a list of top scorers for the tourney teams
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »
I'm in a pool this year where you draft 10 players and whosever drafted team has the most total points (not average) wins.  The draft is in a few hours, and I haven't found any which only pulls players on tourney teams.

Anyone know of a good link for scoring averages of only tourney-bound players?  I'll then weight the players for the teams expected to go far.

Thanks in advance

I'm in the same type of pool....you need to go heavy on teams that go far, that's pretty much the formula.  We've been doing this for about 5 or 6 years, a lot of fun.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »
I'm running one for the first time this year. We're going to have about a dozen guys, pick 8 players each, everybody throws a little bit into the pot to make it worth something more than for pride. I'm looking forward to it much more than the bracket pool I've been running since 1986 (thank God that's all done on a website now).

As far as advice, I wish I had an easy answer. I went to the links for all the conference website's on Palm's site and looked at 31 sets of conference sites, and used conference-only stats for players on the tourney teams. Required looking at 31 sites, which you probably couldn't do in a few hours, or less since you made your original post. Here's a link I was sending to potential entrants for mine as far as what one looked like a year ago if you want to use this as an example for whom you might want to pick this year ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/5089

Here's a link to the top 250 if it helps you any. Like Chicos said you'd have to multiply for # of games played, but this might be a start ...

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/ncaa-m-baskbl-div1-ind-points-per-game.html

Doing my research, I'd agree with Chicos. My top 8 all are on #1 seeds, my top 16 all are on 1 or 2 seeds, and I didn't have a player not on a top 4 seed in my top 30. I probably won't pick a single guy not on a top 8 seed.

Anything I'd want to know that I'm not thinking of as far as rules Chicos? Making sure I put on there that the play-in game doesn't count, if a guys gets injured touch luck and that we'll be using the official box score on the official school site of the winning team to determine scoring.
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »
Just got done with my draft.  I picked 7th out of 8 so I'm screwed.  I loaded up on Syracuse guys mostly since the top KU, UK and Duke guys were gone.   Tyshawn Taylor was the last player picked in our draft (no, I didn't take him).

Eye

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
I have Xavier Henry as the No. 7 player on my list FWIW.

I think there's a falloff after the top 11 (Wall, Cousins, Scheyer, Singler, Collins, Henry, Reynolds, Patterson, Turner, Nolan Smith and Marcus Morris), so hoping to either pick 11th or get two in the top 11 depending upon how many guys we end up getting in it. Ours will have somewhere between 6 and 15.

Did Hayward get picked?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:34:11 PM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »
I have Xavier Henry as the No. 7 player on my list FWIW.

I think there's a falloff after the top 11 (Wall, Cousins, Scheyer, Singler, Collins, Henry, Reynolds, Patterson, Turner, Nolan Smith and Marcus Morris), so hoping to either pick 11th or get two in the top 11 depending upon how many guys we end up getting in it. Ours will have somewhere between 6 and 15.

Did Hayward get picked?

I took Xavier with my first pick at #7

These were my 6 picks

Xavier Henry 13.9 Kansas
Wes Johnson 15.7- Cuse
David Lighty 12.4- OSU
Jon Diebler 12.6- OSU
Jamar Samuels- Kstate
Darryl Bryant 10.6- WV

Lazar did not get selected.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:13:32 PM »
I have those guys 7, 12, 33, 34, 39, 54 on my list, so looks like I've got about the right idea. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the game Thursday.
GO WARRIORS!

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
Just finished with my draft... it had to go VERY deep for talent.  14 people drafting 10 players each.  Made my rankings by first doing a bracket, then extrapolated the player ppg for how many games they're expected to play.

my picks...
john wall - 5th overall
greivis vasquez - 24th overall
lazar hayward
antonio pena
randy culpepper, utep
jermaine dixon
samardo samuels
derrick caracter, utep
tai wesley, utah st
louis dale, cornell - will count as double

It's total points, but there is one tweak to it ... either your 8th, 9th, or 10th round will count as double for the first 2 rounds.  It was randomly done after the draft, and everyones 10th pick will count as double.

I have to say it went to the bottom of the barrel the last few rounds.  Can't believe I have four 12 seed players, but I do have UTEP going to the sw16 and will be watching them in SJ. 

Fun stuff though.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
Ours will end up being something 10 or 11 guys at 8 per guy. With that many guys in yours your last few picks could be huge if you get a guy on a lower seeded team that makes it to the Sweet 16.

Like your first two picks a lot. I'd going to take Wall #1 if I can.
GO WARRIORS!