[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette cant shoot. period  (Read 2019 times)

mviale

• All American
Marquette cant shoot. period
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:36:08 PM »
But we won again
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Marquette cant shoot. period
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
right.... those 80 points magically lit themselves up on the scoreboard...

further it's only the third highest point total we've racked up in the big east games (tied for 7th highest point total all season).

37% from 3pt land, 89% from ft land.. not bad.. sure only 43% from 2pt land but all things considered, I'd say shooting is fine. ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Actually
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:13:11 AM »
according to Ken Pomeroy's way of calculating, our effective field goal percentage was quite high in this particular game.  You can't say we shot 43% from two because a number of those are threes which count for 1.5 field goals.  Added, the free throws, we had a very high effective FG%.

Overall, though, I agree we are not a great shooting team.  Then again, there are plenty of great shooting teams that will find themselves in the NIT this year.  I have a funny feeling we will not be joining them. :)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »
you're right.. forgot to take the 3pt shots out of the fg column.. fine.. so we're 14-30 from 3pt land which is 47%.. still not great sure but hardly any evidence that marquette cannot shoot.  there were much much earlier games where it seems that we could not buy a point.. since then it has not really been that way.. like I said, 80 points didn't magically get put up there by themselves.  you really do have to give credit where credit is due and I think this is one case where it is.

the team does have some issues don't get me wrong but I don't think shooting is anything they should be concerned with at the moment.

further, one of the things I have been most impressed with over the past two games that I haven't really seen mentioned here.. we're pretty darned good against a full court press.. both teams used it at least 80% of the time and I cannot remember more than maybe 1 or 2 turnovers that resulted.  in fact it seemed to tire out villanova's players a bit (towards the end it seemed like they were a bit more sluggish and settling for lower percentage shots rather than working for the high ones).  If I were a team watching the tape in prep for a game against MU, I'd probably decide it isn't worth doing.

on the other hand - I'd like to see MU try some full court pressing.. with our steal abilities and high endurance I gotta believe we'd see some benefit.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:18:06 AM »
I am not too worried about our shooting.  Its our decision making and our defense that is the culprit when we lose for the most part.  Wisconsin is the only exception that I can think of where we had good looks and just couldnt hit them.

Also I thought we were very shaky beating the press.  The refs could have easily called a few more charges on us when we were trying to split the seams.

feedback