Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCONN or St. Johns?  (Read 4428 times)

wojosdojo

• All American
UCONN or St. Johns?
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »
Who do you want to face next? A tall Uconn team that's desperate to win or a well improved St. Johns team who's basically playing at home. We won both road games by 2. IMO I'd probably rather play St. Johns, however both will be tough.

I wanna win to get revenge on Pitt!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: UCONN or St. Johns?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »
Id still rather play St. Johns because Uconn at their best is much tougher than St.Johns. We wont get another crack at Pitt until the BET title game, so we have alot of work to do.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »
Pitts in fourth as far as I'm concerned. They both won once but WV blew them out in morgantown. Therefore wouldn't we play the in the quarters for a 5/4 matchup?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »
Pitt is in second, WVU in 3rd and Nova in 4th. We would get a third crack at Nova.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
Villanova is the 4 seed.....Pitt is the 2 seed.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:03:15 PM »
I want UCONN cuz if we lose it wont kill us IMO but a loss to St. John's would be considered a bad loss.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:12:56 PM »
I want UCONN cuz if we lose it wont kill us IMO but a loss to St. John's would be considered a bad loss.

Same here.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »
Uconn.  If we lose to Uconn its just a loss, if we lose to St Johns its a BAD loss.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
RPI obviously isn't the be all and end all, but a loss to St. John's wouldn't be considered a bad loss RPI-wise.  That said, both teams are going to be tough-- it's either a UConn team desperate for some extra wins or a St. John's team that has pulled off a few decent wins and is playing in its backyard.  I'm going to have to go with St. John's but whatever happens, happens.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
St. John's has absolutely no support in that area the school has been awful at basketball since the year with Artest I don't think there fans really give them that much of a leg up on anyone

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 06:16:45 PM »
UConn will get more fans there than St. Johns will.  Either way it will be a road game for us.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
We should be favored by 2-3 vs. UCONN and by about 7 vs. St. John's.  However, I'd rather play UCONN--a winn or loss against them has more cache, and that game would draw more national interest.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:42 AM »
I would much rather play St. John's than Uconn.  St. John's is a far inferior opponent than Uconn.  Playing Uconn you have to deal with Walker, Dyson and Robinson.  They are far more talented, and Callhoun will have them playing for their NCAA tournament lives. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »
Uconn.  If we lose to Uconn its just a loss, if we lose to St Johns its a BAD loss.

Truer words were never spoken (except for a few similar posts on this topic).

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
I will tell you right now that I would rather play st. johns, but we will be playing uconn on wednesday.  U conn will have double the number of fans st johns will have, at least.  If you've never been to the big east tournament, it is essentially the biggest athletic crap show in the north east, wehere 40 year old alums who rarely get to see their team play partake in obscene amounts of day drinking they haven't done since their undergrad days.  MSG will be more of a hostile enviroment for st. johns, as well as marquette, than stoors conneticut was.  On the plus side, i'll be there, and i think I can out drink at least 3 uconn alums.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »
I will tell you right now that I would rather play st. johns, but we will be playing uconn on wednesday.  U conn will have double the number of fans st johns will have, at least. 

But can those drunk UCONN alums hit jumpers?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »

But can those drunk UCONN alums hit jumpers?
Some of them can probally hit more  jumpers than the st. johns bench.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
I want to play the team that wins their game on Tuesday........in quadruple overtime.  ;D

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
Same here.

Agreed

Although to play devil's advocate.....If we are a lock regardless of what happens in New York, losing to St.Johns's may drop MU to one of the lower seeds (11/12), something that many here are hoping for. 

Personally, I would prefer to go to the Garden and win out, so I don't care who we play. 

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »
So let me get this straight - There are people that suggest losing our first game in the BE is no big deal because the loss could potentially hand us a lower seed in the NCAA tourney? This, in turn, would possibly take us out of the 8/9 groupings and thus would not have to face a 1 seed in the second round.

Thank god none of u are coaches. Thankfully, Calhoun and Boeheim font follow this logic because this (www.sixovertimes.com) would have never happened.

Personally, I'd rather get the 8/9 seed and battle with a no.1 than make it to the sweet 16 because we lost our first game in the BE tournament and had slightly more favorable matchups.

Besides, teams don't play their way DOWN to Cinderella status; they play their way UP to one.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
Personally, I'd rather get the 8/9 seed and battle with a no.1 than make it to the sweet 16 because we lost our first game in the BE tournament and had slightly more favorable matchups.

You would rather lose early than make it to the 2nd weekend?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 05:56:34 AM »
Do we want to play the team we beat at their place on a last second shot or the other team we beat at their place on a last second shot?    May they set the new standard for number of overtimes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
I will tell you right now that I would rather play st. johns, but we will be playing uconn on wednesday.  U conn will have double the number of fans st johns will have, at least.  If you've never been to the big east tournament, it is essentially the biggest athletic crap show in the north east, wehere 40 year old alums who rarely get to see their team play partake in obscene amounts of day drinking they haven't done since their undergrad days.  MSG will be more of a hostile enviroment for st. johns, as well as marquette, than stoors conneticut was.  On the plus side, i'll be there, and i think I can out drink at least 3 uconn alums.
I suck at this....