'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice...  (Read 2423 times)

ecompt

• All American
Wouldn't it be nice...
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
to have three minutes back? The final minute today, when we blew a seven-point lead, the final minute at DePaul, when we blew a four-point lead, and the final minute at West Virginia, when we were up 5 and lost. By my count, we were outscored 19-1 in those three minutes, Throw in the final minute at Seton Hall and the count is something like 28-4.

wojosdojo

• All American
Re: Wouldn't it be nice...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:01:16 AM »
It truly would, and you didn't even mention FSU(L), Nova(L), Provi(W). Through the years I've somewhat learned I have to accept heartbreakers with Marquette, becuase it seems were hit the hardest. When it comes to the 3 minutes or 14 or however many amount of points is the fact we can be playing shoulda, coulda, woulda all night. Yes, we can be 23-7 or even better now but were not. Everyone  thinks about it, we all hate losing. After all the things that have "transpired" somethings eventually gotta give. For now, be thankful where we stand.

romey

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »
to have three minutes back? The final minute today, when we blew a seven-point lead, the final minute at DePaul, when we blew a four-point lead, and the final minute at West Virginia, when we were up 5 and lost. By my count, we were outscored 19-1 in those three minutes, Throw in the final minute at Seton Hall and the count is something like 28-4.
nm

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
I was curious, so put together this list (reverse chronological) of close games.  6 wins, 6 losses.

ND - up 7, scored 1 but allowed 8 to go to OT.  OT: Down 5, lose by 3.

Seton Hall - up 2, tied, up 2, tied, missed 3 to win.  OT - 1:43, up 7.  WIN by 1.  (allowed layup)

SJU - Up 3, 37 to go.  Tied.  Missed 2 to win.  OT: Down by 2, scored last 4 to WIN.

Cincy - Made 3 to tie.  Cincy misses 3 to win.  OT: Last minute, up by 2, ends up WIN by 3.

Prov - Up 7 with 1:16 to go.  WIN by 3.

UConn - Down by 3. Score last 5 to WIN.

DePaul - Up by 4, allow 5 to lose.  No points final 3 minutes.

@Nova - Down 4, cut it to 2 to lose.

GTown - Up 3, held, WIN by 3.

Nova - Up 2, allowed 3 to lose.

WVU - Up 5, allowed 6 to lose.  Didn't score final 1:02, Missed 2 FTs.

FSU - up 17 (with 16 to go.)  Last minute, up 1, scored 2, allowed 4, lose by 1.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
I think what that says is .. 12 games, all determined in the last minute .. we won half, lost half.   Can't really draw the conclusion that Buzz is a good, or bad, "closer."

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
agreed, Hilltopper. I was just referring to the three minutes when we had games won and lost. In all three games we missed FTs, and you can't pin that on Buzz.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:11 AM »
I wouldn't pin Saturday's loss to ND on free throws, but more on a questionable shot selection at the end of regulation. Why do they shot a three from the corner with the shot clock winding down instead of driving the lane towards the basket? If they were to do that one of two things would happen, either ND would have backed off and allowed the shot to go in to avoid fouling us or more likely they are forced to foul us and the potential is then there for either a 1 to 3 point possession epending on whether or not we make the basket as well.

In the end, like the saying goes, "live by the three, die by the three."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »
If we were older then we wouldn't have to wait so long
and wouldn't it be nice to live together
in the kind of world where we belong.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
If we were older then we wouldn't have to wait so long
and wouldn't it be nice to live together
in the kind of world where we belong.

+1

its all i can think of when i see this title.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »
If God offered me four months ago that MU would play those twelve games to the last possession, on the condition that MU only wins half of them, I would have taken that offer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »
DC, I totally agree. I wasn't pinning Saturday's loss on Lazar's missed FT but only pointing out that all three losses contained a free-throw miss. The shot selection on that last possession was abysmal on a day when we couldn't hit a 3 to save our lives.

feedback