Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If MU loses its first round NCAA game.....  (Read 2834 times)

tower912

• All American
If MU loses its first round NCAA game.....
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
This was referenced in another thread and I think it is worthy of its own discussion.    If MU loses its first round NCAA game, how will you view this season?    Will it be a success just because we made the tourney against all (except 84's) expectations?    Will it be a disappointment because this team had made us believe?    A disaster because it will be proof Buzz can't coach and it will be a further impediment to us ever landing a decent big?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mugrack

• Team Captain
Re: If MU loses its first round NCAA game.....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »
talk about a buzz kill

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »
Hell no to a disaster. It will always be a success in some form with this run we have went on. I would have to see our match up to determine if its a dissappointment or not. If we get a quality Maryland type team(unlikey with how fast we are rising) then no disappointment. If we lose to a mid major(no disrespect) then i would be disappointed. Also no more heartbreakers like the last 2 years.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »
This season has already been an overwhelming success. Where we will be seeded, no loss in the NCAA will change that.

Roscoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
I think it would be incredibly short-sighted to judge an entire season on the results of any one game.  Especially an NCAA tournament game, where anything can happen.  By just about any standard, given the circumstances of this season, most people would judge this season as a success.  (But even that is subjective, depending on what one views as a successful season.)  Now, would I/you/we be disappointed with a round one loss - of course.  But that's different than viewing the season as a failure.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
This is the most enjoyable, entertaining Marquette season since the Final Four run. Whatever happens in the tournament is gravy to me.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
I would be disappointed but have to think we have really overachieved and have a lot to look forward to next year.  But I'm not worried about all that, I'm more concerned with piss pounding ND...

Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
Would it be disappointing that day, especially since it appears at worst that MU will be in no worse than a 50-50 type of game? Absolutely.

About 12 hours later, this will be the most fun overall season for me for MU since for sure '05-06, a similar type of team that wasn't picked to do a ton, but really exceeded expectations. One more win probably allows this team to trump the '05-06 team IMHO, and that puts it only second to the FF team for me since at least the mid-90s.

BTW, 84 wasn't the only one (sorry, couldn't let that go ...)

I like Benny's approach, taking the season in chunks.

First 4 - 4-0
Old Spice - 2-1 (one team goes 3-0 (Michigan seems to be the favorite), one team goes 0-3 (probably Iona), three teams go 2-1, three teams go 1-2.
NC State - Freshmen - 2-0
at Rodents - unfortunately loss
Next 2 non-conference - wins
10-2 non-conference

Big East play

Seems to me like a lot of cut-and-dry projections in January and early February
Road games at WVU, nova, cuse and UConn - Probably will find a way to win one of them, but when projecting have to say 0-4
Need to split the first 2 home games against nova and Gtown 1-1
Home games against DePaul, PC, USF, Rutgers - 4-0, like above they could easily go 3-1 in that stretch, but when projecting you figure 4-0
The more I read about PC and DePaul, I think they sweep them on the road, too - 2-0
Leaves MU 7-5, 17-7 into the final six games of the regular season, all of which are against teams who could finish in a similar 6-12 range in the league. 3 home games, Pitt, U of L and ND, and three road games, at Cincy, at SJU, at S Hall. Could easily split the 6 games, which would be a reasonable projecton, but I think just 1 of the 3 between Cincy, SJU and S Hall will put it together this year, and that two of them will slide. So I'll say 4-2 in that 6-game stretch.

11-7 Big East

1-1 BET

0-1 NC2As

22-11 overall
GO WARRIORS!

feedback