Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deep BE Tourney Run...or Sweet 16???  (Read 4836 times)

GGGG

• All American
Deep BE Tourney Run...or Sweet 16???
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
So I was thinking about hypotheticals today regarding this team and its relatively short bench.  What would be more enjoyable for you as a fan?

Making a deep BE tournament run...say all the way to the championship game...but by playing four games in four days, we are too tired and bow out the first week in the tournament.  (This is roughly what Syracuse did a couple of years ago.)

Or, bowing out early in the BE tournament...say we lose in the quarters...but we get to the Sweet 16 and no further.  (For an Elite 8 run, I would happily lose in the first round of the BE tournament.)

Honestly, winning the BE tournament would be pretty darn fun no matter the affect it would have on our NCAA tournament run from a fatigue point of view.

Ready2Fly

• All American
Re: Deep BE Tourney Run...or Sweet 16???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
Both would be awesome, but sweet sixteen no doubt. Much more national exposure, and the BET is ultimately used to determine NCAA seeding, not really an end in and of itself.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
We need a Sweet 16.  I would definately rather have that.  Playing at the Garden is nice, but playing an extra weekend is better.  

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »
I think the big east championship game is a bigger stretch than the sweet 16.  I think that assuming we get in, I will pencil this team to the sweet 16 no matter who they play, and will mostly likely be able to keep a straight face if i tell someone I am putting them in the elite 8.  The Big east championship is a grind unlike any other tournament in the country.  A game every day, usually against a top 25 or fringe top 25 team, where winning a game can get you in and knock the person you are playing out.  To answer your question though,  I would take the big east championship cause it is harder, though I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »
Sweet 16. We play at the Garden every season. We haven't played on the second weekend of the tournament in almost 7 years.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »
I'd rather get a quality win or two in the BE tournament and then lose a close one against a quality opponent. The last thing I'd want, especially for this team and their short bench and their back to back to back overtime road stretch and all of the heart-pounding finishes,  is for us to expend all of our energy for the BE tournament and then be utterly and completely gassed by the time the real dancing begins.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
I'm gonna have to go with the sweet 16 as well even though both would be incredible

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
Sweet 16.  I feel like conference tournaments mean nothing, but winning the Big East Tournament definately would be incredible.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:20:07 AM »
Sweet 16....hands down.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
I feel like a Big east Championship is a neccesity for this program.  It plants a flag that says "We are here, we are a player in this conference every year."  A sweet 16 is great, but 5 years from now, the only people that will care that Marq made the sweet 16 will be us, where as a big east tournament is something that stays around for a long time.  West Virginia and Notre Dame haven't even won one yet.  Winning a big East tournament brings us into the discussion with the big boys in the conference, and makes us a big east power, rather than simply a good team that makes a little noise every year.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
I'd like to see us make it to the Semis in the BE and make a run at the Sweet 16 or even Elite 8...team appears to be peaking at the right time so anything is possible.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
Easily Sweet 16...why even ask the question?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
If we do the first, we won't have anything left do do the second.   Sweet 16, and it isn't close. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
I feel like a Big east Championship is a neccesity for this program.  It plants a flag that says "We are here, we are a player in this conference every year."  A sweet 16 is great, but 5 years from now, the only people that will care that Marq made the sweet 16 will be us, where as a big east tournament is something that stays around for a long time.  West Virginia and Notre Dame haven't even won one yet.  Winning a big East tournament brings us into the discussion with the big boys in the conference, and makes us a big east power, rather than simply a good team that makes a little noise every year.

Would Crean put up a banner?

I'm really sorry.  I couldn't help myself.

My preference is Sweet 16, easily.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
Give me the sweet 16 any day of the week in this scenario

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »
Would Crean put up a banner?

I'm really sorry.  I couldn't help myself.

My preference is Sweet 16, easily.
A big east tourny win deserves a banner.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »
A big east tourny win deserves a banner.

In Bloomington?

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »
Sweet 16.  In a heart beat.   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
In Bloomington?
Any school that wins a conference tournament puts up a banner.  And for the record, Marquette would be playing uab and marshall this weekend if Tom crean didn't coach marquette.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
Any school that wins a conference tournament puts up a banner.  And for the record, Marquette would be playing uab and marshall this weekend if Tom crean didn't coach marquette.

Chill dude.  I apologized.  It's an addiction.  I need treatment.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
Chill dude.  I apologized.  It's an addiction.  I need treatment.
LoL, my bad, tiger got out of the cage for a sec.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
I agree, but if they're not going to win the whole thing they might as well bow out early (1 win would be nice either way though).

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »
The exposure we would get for a deep Big East Tournament run would be amazing.  But when it comes down to it a sweet 16 would be just so much better for so many reasons.  Remember Syracuse in 2006 i think.  They were a bubble team like us and they won the Big East Tournament.  The committee gave them a 5 seed and they were so worn out from the deep Big East Tournament run that they were blown out by the 12 seeded Texas AM Aggies.  A sweet 16 would be so amazing for this team.  I think we have a legitamite shot at it. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »
Without any equivocation, doubt, uncertainty, ambiguity or hesitation,  I am going with the
SWEET SIXTEEN!

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
Sweet Sixteen, and it's not even a contest.

feedback