[Today at 12:22:13 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 08:56:30 AM]

Miletic Commits by Zog from Margo
[Today at 08:40:26 AM]

Hurley staying! by tower912
[Today at 07:21:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hall fans very complimentary of Buzz and MU  (Read 12637 times)

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
Seton Hall fans very complimentary of Buzz and MU
« on: February 28, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »
http://setonhall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=330&tid=131899539&mid=131899539&sid=959&style=2

This is the most fun I've had watching MU basketball since the '03 FF run. Sure, it's always more fun when you win, but it's not like this team didn't experience their share of heartbreak so far either. They've really learned and have grown up big time from all the early season close losses.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:41:38 PM by Doris Burkes Thong »

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Seton Hall fans very complimentary of Buzz and MU
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »
Wow, the Seton Hall fans have a better perception of the warriors and Buzz than our own fans. What a season, I just hope the ride continues. Probably need one more win hopefully on Tuesday.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »
http://setonhall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=330&tid=131899539&mid=131899539&sid=959&style=2

This is the most fun I've had watching MU basketball since the '03 FF run. Sure, it's always more fun when you win, but it's not like this team didn't experience their share of heartbreak so far either. They've really learned and have grown up big time from all the early season close losses.

Almost makes me feel bad for saying what terrible personality their coach and most of their players have. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
very gracious board. I don't know if we are every that gracious in defeat...

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »
That's a riot. Way more complimentary of Buzz and MU than just about any thread we've had. Fun to read though!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »

+1
SS Marquette

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
Wow! That's great. Thanks, SHU fans!!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
Almost makes me feel bad for saying what terrible personality their coach and most of their players have. 

To be fair, some of their compliments towards MU are done as shots at Gonzo.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »

I don't know if we are often that gracious in winning either.  :-\
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
It's interesting that their knowledgeable fans point to MU as the best coached team to play the Pirates this year while many in our own fanbase want to wait another 3+ years to decide whether or not Buzz can coach.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
this is getting old

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »
I was at the game today and it was a nice atmosphere. Ribbing in a good spirited kind of way, as opposed to the nasty Cinncinati fans (was at a game there when Huggins was still coach) and at East Carolina a few years ago. Nice to see them being so gracious on their boards after losing today...and they are right on...

By the way, was shocked at how empty the arena was, especially since it was their senior day. The upper bowl was closed (as it is for all SHU games) and the lower bowl felt half empty. A bunch of people started leaving with 1:20 left in regulation, and even more with 2 minutes left in OT. Neither here nor there, just surprising to me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
this is getting old

Seton Hall fans giving props to Buzz as coach of the year is getting old? Seems like new "news" to me that would make MU fans proud and happy.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »

By the way, was shocked at how empty the arena was, especially since it was their senior day. The upper bowl was closed (as it is for all SHU games) and the lower bowl felt half empty. A bunch of people started leaving with 1:20 left in regulation, and even more with 2 minutes left in OT. Neither here nor there, just surprising to me.

Only 325 tickets remain!

http://www.selloutmarquette.com/

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »
It's interesting that their knowledgeable fans point to MU as the best coached team to play the Pirates this year while many in our own fanbase want to wait another 3+ years to decide whether or not Buzz can coach.

how manipulative of you.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
this is getting old

We all are getting old, especially watching these MU games. ;D

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »
By the way, was shocked at how empty the arena was, especially since it was their senior day.

Yeah, it felt like I was at a DePaul game against some other opponent at the bradley center or something.. couldn't believe their campus is 5 miles away.. they also had a total of 6 dance team members.. very odd.  They sat their student section (of around 100 or so) behind the basket and, aside from maybe 10 students behind the other basket, that was the whole contingent.  Many many many many open seats in the arena.  This despite the senior day and despite that there was apparently an active attempt to sell it out.

The upper bowl was closed (as it is for all SHU games) and the lower bowl felt half empty.
That threw me.. they actually have black curtains the come down and almost completely obscure the fact that there are any seats even up there.  Maybe it makes it look more packed?  Didn't work.. but then again, I was just at a game with "34,616" people attending last night ;)

Both pictures attached for your comparison use.  You can see the black curtains in the first one.

Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »
We all are getting old, especially watching these MU games.

haha isnt that the truth - i'll take the disarmament bait - honestly, if theres any saving grace, its that we always seem to have last possessions as the clock runs out. if we had been on defense in tie games all this time, i think i mightve had a heart attack by now.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
Yeah, it felt like I was at a DePaul game against some other opponent at the bradley center or something.. couldn't believe their campus is 5 miles away.. they also had a total of 6 dance team members.. very odd.  They sat their student section (of around 100 or so) behind the basket and, aside from maybe 10 students behind the other basket, that was the whole contingent.  Many many many many open seats in the arena.  This despite the senior day and despite that there was apparently an active attempt to sell it out.
That threw me.. they actually have black curtains the come down and almost completely obscure the fact that there are any seats even up there.  Maybe it makes it look more packed?  Didn't work.. but then again, I was just at a game with "34,616" people attending last night ;)

Both pictures attached for your comparison use.  You can see the black curtains in the first one.

Hey I see me in that seton hall pic...barely.  Anyway, the student section was very small and quiet, which I was told is normal.  The rest of the crowd was pretty into the game though, got loud when they needed to.  Fun atmosphere, there PA announcer was pretty funny and got the crowd going (although you couldn't get a beer until noon, and they cut it off at halftime...so about an hour to buy beer).  I wouldn't say the fans were super-knowledgable (some even admitted to being fair-weather) but they were good natured and bantered all game and were gracious in defeat.  Almost all I talked to HATE gonzalez.  feel his actions at times are a "disgrace" and has cost them multiple games over the years with his technicals and how he lays into refs.  some were even asking for Louis Orr back.  The stadium is nice, but the area is a dump.  great game, even better win.  well worth the drive up from dc.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
And by the way SHU has a monster budget for giveaways...gave away a Wii, an XBOX, season tickets for the 2010-11 season...good grief! I think I might have gotten a pez dispenser in my day.

The announcer was funny. "That is a traveling violation!" "That is a 3 point play!" "That is a technical foul on that bitch Gonzalez!" Prefacing everything with "that is" made me laugh.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
Seton Hall fans giving props to Buzz as coach of the year is getting old? Seems like new "news" to me that would make MU fans proud and happy.
Agree 100% - not sure what is "old," about another teams fans complimenting our coach?  Furthermore, what's ironic is Seton Hall fans are complimenting Buzz more than some of our own fans have been willing to.  I just don't get the "realist" MU fans, as they like to call themselves who continue to take a wait and see approach about Buzz.  It's almost as if at this point, they simply cannot swallow their pride..and admit their continued pessimism (or realism) was the wrong choice to have in the first place regarding Buzz.  We should be thrilled about the job Buzz is doing...as most MU fans are, but there are the small minority of posters here who continue to preach caution.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »
Great too see. I have been trying for weeks but cant buy any sort of love for Buzz and company on the CBS boards. Tools.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »
Agree 100% - not sure what is "old," about another teams fans complimenting our coach?  Furthermore, what's ironic is Seton Hall fans are complimenting Buzz more than some of our own fans have been willing to.  I just don't get the "realist" MU fans, as they like to call themselves who continue to take a wait and see approach about Buzz.  It's almost as if at this point, they simply cannot swallow their pride..and admit their continued pessimism (or realism) was the wrong choice to have in the first place regarding Buzz.  We should be thrilled about the job Buzz is doing...as most MU fans are, but there are the small minority of posters here who continue to preach caution.

Ners,

Why does it bother you so much if "realists" or "pessimists" take a wait-and-see attitude towards Buzz?  How do other fan's opinions affect your enjoyment of Buzz and MU bball.  Hey, maybe Buzz will lead the Warriors to a decent NCAA run and then he'll be a legit candidate for National Coach of  the Year.  Or maybe they'll tank against Louisville and ND and have another one-and-done in the NCAA's if they make the tourney.  There's just too much basketball left to be kissing his a@@ right now.

babytownfrolics

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 09:39:55 PM »
Ners,

Why does it bother you so much if "realists" or "pessimists" take a wait-and-see attitude towards Buzz?  How do other fan's opinions affect your enjoyment of Buzz and MU bball.  Hey, maybe Buzz will lead the Warriors to a decent NCAA run and then he'll be a legit candidate for National Coach of  the Year.  Or maybe they'll tank against Louisville and ND and have another one-and-done in the NCAA's if they make the tourney.  There's just too much basketball left to be kissing his a@@ right now.

Amazing.

Even if your "worst case scenario" happened, Buzz STILL did an incredible job with this team to even be in that position in the first place.

How about giving credit where credit is due for what they've accomplished already?

Or is it your position that that can all be erased in the next 2-3 weeks?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »
I wouldn't say the fans were super-knowledgable (some even admitted to being fair-weather) but they were good natured and bantered all game and were gracious in defeat.  Almost all I talked to HATE gonzalez.  feel his actions at times are a "disgrace" and has cost them multiple games over the years with his technicals and how he lays into refs. 

In general, they seemed good natured around us too, but perhaps maybe a little more hardcore. Several comments about how well MU was coached and executed their plays.  General disgust towards their own team.  Though, as we were leaving, one old-timer was particularly bitter about "always playing 5 on 7" commenting that they had gotten Ts and flagrant fouls called the past 2 or 3 games.  Hah, I don't think Ts and flagrant's are often in too much dispute.

Where were you sitting?  I may have better pics of you :)  

feedback