[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Make More FTs than the Other Team Attempts Analysis  (Read 12028 times)

Ready2Fly

• All American
Re: Make More FTs than the Other Team Attempts Analysis
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »
I think Buzz stresses paint touches because he knows we are a jump shooting team and we can fall in love with shooting.  Truth is that if you sit back and jack up shots, the other team will rarely get into foul trouble.  And foul trouble (among other things) can be disruptive to a team's flow by forcing a team to change line ups or keeping a line up for too long.  This factor helps produce an ugly game and I am in agreement with Buzz that when the game gets ugly, it works in our favor.  

This is definitely a big part of it too.  Catch and shoot is much more effective than dribble and chuck.  If you can't score inside with an aircraft carrier, you've gotta be a good three point shooting team.  But if you just pass it around the perimeter, defenses won't give you an inch.  Gotta get 'em to collapse and kick it out for a rhythm three, which causes the eFG% to go up.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
Yeah Big Daddy Drew brings me to tears with some of his stuff...nothing is better than wasting some time on KissingSuzyKolber

But I agree, ever since Leitch left it went downhill fast, and the air of superiority most commenters have on that site is nothing short of Badger-esque.

Fun with Peter King is required reading.  I'll never look at nutmeg the same.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
The whole theory of paint touches is to:

1) Collapse the defense and force help, which:
2) Create either open shots on the permimeter or forces the team to foul.

I don't think it has anything to do with Buzz's preference to chew up clock.  Though Buzz has a desired number of possessions per game, I think his biggest concern is taking a good, quality shot..which for this team can take multiple drive and kick scenarios due to their lack of height/length..they need more space freed for getting good looks...which takes multiple ball swings and defensive rotations to create openings.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
To answer Read2Fly's question... The sum of the weights is 3.65.  That roughly means the eFG% is 41%, TO% is 36%, OR% is 19%, and FTR is 4%.  Not sure where your 70% came from.
I'm not sure this is accurate, because the measures themselves don't have the same magnitudes.  So even though the weight for TO% is similar to the weight for eFG%, it won't have the same impact on offensive efficiency because we aren't going to be turning the ball over at a 40-60% rate.

LON

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:31 AM »
Fun with Peter King is required reading.  I'll never look at nutmeg the same.

Haha, +1

Lofty post.

I don't think it has anything to do with Buzz's preference to chew up clock.  Though Buzz has a desired number of possessions per game, I think his biggest concern is taking a good, quality shot..which for this team can take multiple drive and kick scenarios due to their lack of height/length..they need more space freed for getting good looks...which takes multiple ball swings and defensive rotations to create openings.

The ball movement this team makes is truly fun to watch as well as how hard they make the defense work.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 10:02:51 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with Buzz's preference to chew up clock.  Though Buzz has a desired number of possessions per game, I think his biggest concern is taking a good, quality shot..which for this team can take multiple drive and kick scenarios due to their lack of height/length..they need more space freed for getting good looks...which takes multiple ball swings and defensive rotations to create openings.

The bolded part is exactly right.  I've heard him say they're looking to push it and get a great shot within the first 12 seconds of the shot clock before the defense has a chance to set up.  If that's not available, then they need to work it around for a great shot, which takes time due to the lack of height you mentioned.  This is one thing Acker has been great at this year - knowing where the opportunities are in that 12 second window and knowing when to set up the offense.  I thought his best game in this regard was vs. USF.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »
Updated with last few games.

feedback