Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJO had a rough game  (Read 1690 times)

Blackhat

• All American
DJO had a rough game
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
on both ends.....we need him to get it together. 

MauraDay

• Team Captain
Re: DJO had a rough game
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
+1. He lost his man a lot defensively, and a bad shooting night.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
Yeah, Kennedy sort of had his way with DJO.  And DJO wasn't shooting well either.  Have to expect some games like this, he's only a sophomore.  He's going to be a great player when he hones that ability to get to the hoop and FT line. 

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
Made a big play late on the drive and kickout to Acker for 3.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
djo will become a great plyer when he can become more consitant and still produce for his team when its not his night

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
Had a tough time getting in the groove, missed a couple early.  If he develops a little mid-range game, a pull up while driving, he will be deadly.  A little loosey goosey with the ball, but that will come in time.  He has all the tools just not quite the polish...yet!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
DJO will be all BEast his senior year!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »
I'll +2 that.

IMO he needs to work on understanding basic man to man defensive principles.  I caught him face guarding a guy in the paint when the ball was literally being dribbled a few feet away.  Had no clue where the ball was.  I also notice him getting caught on screens.  He's pretty consistent on getting jammed on the screen.  Either he doesn't know how to get around them or the player he is guarding is just has a great feel of how to run DJO off the screen.  On the ball, DJO's feet are too slow.  For the most part, he's getting beat off the dribble the majority of the time.  

Offensively, it's his decision making that can kill you.  How many times have you seen him drive the lane...out of control...only to get blocked or put up a wild shot?  Once that happens, you can begin to see DJO's confidence drop.  The rest of his game just kinda follows with it.  Am I saying he's a terrible offensive player?  No.  We all know he has the tools, it's just a matter of utilizing the tool the right way.  

I'm probably the most critical person in this forum when it comes to DJO and his ability.  He's had a pretty good year overall thus far, but I feel we won't be able to really gauge him completely until the start of next year.  If he makes the same strides Jimmy Butler has made this past summer...I'll go out on a limb and say he's NBA bound.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
DJO got caught with his pants down in the 2nd half with St. John's inbounding the ball under their own hoop. Result was an easy lay-up by Kennedy. Good reason to always zone the out-of-bounds play in that situation.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »

[quote author=MUCrew link=topic=18442.msg185860#msg185860 date=1267069932

IMO he needs to work on understanding basic man to man defensive principles.  I caught him face guarding a guy in the paint when the ball was literally being dribbled a few feet away.

I noticed that too but I think he was purposely trying to face guard Kennedy to deny at that point. Not saying it's right, just think he was doing it because he was told to.

That said, he's got loads of potential but can't keep getting totally lost certain games. One game he's on fire, the next he isn't even looking to shoot.

And no doubt he needs to get a pullup 8-10 footer, will get him in much better control AND get him all the way to the bucket more because teams will have to respect the pullup.

feedback