[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Guards next year...  (Read 6177 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Guards next year...
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
I know we got this year to worry about but I just looked at the Reggie Smith video again, and I'm just very excited about how deep were gonna be next year, but at the same time I wonder about Junior. He is not quick like the rest of the guards next year appear to be, what do you think the situation will be with Junior for playing time?

Daniel

• All American
Re: Guards next year...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
I say let Junior heal up 100%, do his strengthening routines, etc. and then let's see how he does.  He looked quicker in the Cinncy game.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
Junior is actually pretty quick, not fast, when full strength. He'll complement the rest of the guards real well though because of his strength more than anything - Buzz was talking about this on his radio show last night. Plus, he's a true PG in every sense of the word - great vision and knack for setting up teammates with the pass. Cadougan is like a bull with the ball in his hands. He'll be our thunder and guys like Blue, Smith, DJO will be our lighting. ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
I'd say quickness, especially lateral quickness, would be one of the last things to return following Achilles surgery. So, Jr.'s quickness can't be accurately gaged right now. In any regard, Vander and DJO get the lion's share of minutes in the backcourt.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »
I'd say quickness, especially lateral quickness, would be one of the last things to return following Achilles surgery. So, Jr.'s quickness can't be accurately gaged right now. In any regard, Vander and DJO get the lion's share of minutes in the backcourt.

I agree with Vander and DJO getting the bulk of the minutes. I think Smith is going to find some quality minutes by being able to defend and prevent dribble penetration. That kid has all the tools to be one helluva lockdown defender in terms of on-ball defense. We don't have a guy like that right now - DJ was it last year.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »

Given Buzz's insistence on having an actual point guard on the floor, and the fact that Junior is the only true point on the roster next year, he's going to see a ton of time.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
I don't disagree at all. But, what that means is we'll have a 3 guard offense again.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
Where does Jamail fit in for minutes? Will he come in for a small amount of time for Butler or will he get a good amount of minutes in some other form?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »
Where does Jamail fit in for minutes? Will he come in for a small amount of time for Butler or will he get a good amount of minutes in some other form?

I think it depends on how the team is set up.  If Buzz goes with a 3 guard line up, or a 2 guard line up with an actual center, I don't see him getting much time.  But if he goes with 3 forwards, then maybe Jamail gets some more PT. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
Speaking of guards next year, congrats to DJ Newbill for winning the Philly Public League scoring title.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/84836217.html

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
Next years guards are: Junior Cadougan, DJO, Dwight Buycks, DJ Newbill, Reggie Smith, Vander Blue.  Six guards cannot all get minutes.  I think the odd men out are Buycks Smith and Newbill.  I think Vander, DJO and Junior will get the majority of the playing time at the guard spots.  Buycks could see limited minutes but I honestly doubt Reggie Smith and DJ Newbill will get any playing time next year. 

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
This year we have essentially 4 guards that are in the rotation: Acker, Cubillan, DJO, and Buycks. Next year we will have another 4 man rotation: Blue, DJO, Buycks, and Junior. I don't expect Smith and Newbill to see many minutes next year. Buycks will see plenty of minutes next year.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
IMHO, Buycks will start nearly all, if not every game next year, and will either be the teams leading or 2nd leading scorer.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
IMHO, Buycks will start nearly all, if not every game next year, and will either be the teams leading or 2nd leading scorer.

Really?  I see nothing that makes me believe he can score better than Butler and DJO.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
Butler and DJO are going to be scary good next year. I expect blue and junior to do what they can to be a big help as well. Crowder also looks like a nice addition.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »
I think the majority of the minutes at the guard spot will go to Buycks, DJO, Junior and Vander; with Smith getting some here and there, and Newbill hanging out with Frozena.

As for Jamail Jones...not sure how much he will contribute next year. He's a perimeter player, so where is he going to get minutes from? I see him backing up Butler...maybe in the 5-7 mpg range.

Guards - Buycks, DJO, Junior, Vander, Smith, Newbill
Wings - Butler, Jones
Forwards - Fulce, Crowder, Williams
Centers - Otule, Mbao

Based on the guys we currently have lined up for next year (wouldnt be suprised if Buzz adds one more...), I think our rotation will mainly consist of the guys in italics.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »

Really?? You think Buycks will average more points than Butler and DJO? Well I'll agree that he plays some quality minutes, but if he cant get many minutes with acker and coobs on the team it'll be even harder next yr.

I never really mentioned it before, but with all the guards coming in Junior may have a difficult time getting many minutes as well. Unless his quickness and defense improves, or unless he just ends up being a rediculous passer that can effectively run a team, there is a possibility he gets less PT than we all woulda thought

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

I never really mentioned it before, but with all the guards coming in Junior may have a difficult time getting many minutes as well. Unless his quickness and defense improves, or unless he just ends up being a rediculous passer that can effectively run a team, there is a possibility he gets less PT than we all woulda thought

Again, as BMA explained...Junior is the ONLY pure PG on the roster next year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »
GoMu i gotta agree with basically your entire assessment and looking at it i think we could be very solid. I would like to see a little from jones but not sure if its possible til 2011 when butler is gone. We frankly will not sit Jimmy. Williams is another guy i hope improves by next year but i agree as of now he probably wont play much.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
I expect DJO, Jimmy Butler, and Vander Blue all to average more points than Buycks next year.  

TJ

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I don't really understand all the dislike for Buycks around here.  I really like his game when he gets in a rhythm and has a good one.  He can penetrate and finish well.  He can defend.  He can shoot decently.  And I can only assume he will improve upon all of that as well going into sophomore year.

Now I don't know that he'll be outscoring a senior Jimmy Butler on a consistent basis, but I like what he brings to the table for next year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
TJ heres the problem......it will be buycks senior year next year. Not sophmore.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »

Reinko, I'd like to nominate that for most preposterous statement of the year contest. 

TJ

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
TJ heres the problem......it will be buycks senior year next year. Not sophmore.
It only took me 26 games to figure that out. Not too bad. I knew he was a JC transfer, but never did I put 2 & 2 together and realize he would be a senior next year.

I still like his game and his potential for next year, and I still think that the general sentiment here is a little too hard on him, but I understand where it's coming from a lot better now.  Thanks for pointing that out.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »
Reinko, I'd like to nominate that for most preposterous statement of the year contest. 

You know what, it is bold.  I stand by it.

I just don't see a bunch of freshman guards vaulting in front a senior who will know Buzz's system.  I also see teams keying in on Butler and DJO, freeing up DB to drive, getting to the line and scoring 16-18 points a game.  Already knows he has a nice mid range game, and I think his atheleticism and expereince will take over games next year.

So when Butler averages 19 next year, and DJO 17, and DB 15 or 16, you can come back here and claim victory.   :P