[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Think Our Students Suck? Cincy's Are Far Worse  (Read 2840 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Think Our Students Suck? Cincy's Are Far Worse
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »
So says their alumni.

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showthread.php?t=8198

HT: MUFan12. Not only did he find this link...he was also one of the 12 Marquette fans referenced here (along with foreverwarriors). Well done guys.

The General has taken on a new command.

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Think Our Students Suck? Cincy's Are Far Worse
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
Have to agree. Was talking to some of the people I was there with. It was quiet enough to hear someone cough most of the game...even into OT when the crowd noise will normally increase.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
They should have put Gates and Stephenson in those seats.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »
so they guessed a little low, but we had 18 there  ;)

as our email chain leading up to the trip continued today and everyone from the group returned to DC, STL, Chi, and MKE, we all realized that every single one of our voices were still struggling...

ok...maybe the Hofbrauhaus on Saturday night contributed to some of that too...  :D

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
ok...maybe the Hofbrauhaus on Saturday night contributed to some of that too...  :D

I don't know... I was at full strength going into the arena, and sounded terrible today. Maybe too many USA chants during the speedskating on Saturday? ;)

It was a blast to be there, and there were a few pockets of MU fans around. I couldn't believe how docile the environment was. There were probably 3 times where the crowd actually made some noise, and this was an equally huge game for them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:33:01 PM »
That place used to be the loudest, most intimidating arena in the CUSA when Huggins was there.

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
I have been to the Shoe 3 times - 2003, 2008 and 2010.  The environment on Sunday was putrid.  They only had 10k in the seats and they were extremely quiet.  I was behind the basket on the Cincinnati bench side with a few other MU fans.  As per usual, I had the flag and screamed my lungs out.  The place doesn't even compare to atmosphere in 2003.  It was rocking then - absolute snake pit.  Now, the student section is about 75% smaller and they don't show up.  I honestly think DePaul had more students at their MU game than UC had yesterday.  The general population just didn't show up.  Cincy is a fairly large metro area, there's no NBA or NHL teams and UC is the local public school, making the small numbers even worse

I had some good conversations with the gentlemen next to me.  People are still pining for the Huggins glory days and they have soured on Cronin.  The other fans around me were very negative, yelling at Gates and Cronin constantly, just looking for something to complain about. 

It seems like they are a football school now.  Many of the fans were wearing football gear and a small knot of their students were chanting "Let's play football!" at the end of the game.  What kind of Harry High School bull**** is that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »
Well, they're fair weather football fans too.  Five years ago, there was no one at the football games.  My guess is that their fan base is a lot like UWM's.

CincyEagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »
I would have to agree. I was able to get into the middle of the student section by the UC bench, 5th row no less. I'm pretty sure I was the only one cheering for most of the game. All i could hear from people were how bad their team was or why Gates wasn't in. Overall though it was a great game to watch and even better to get a win.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
They should have put Gates and Stephenson in those seats.
Hilarius.

feedback