[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] WMLW couldn't fix scrambled telecast  (Read 9006 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] WMLW couldn't fix scrambled telecast
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
WMLW couldn't fix scrambled telecast

WMLW-TV (Channel 41) in Milwaukee was aware of the poor quality of the pictures and audio from the Marquette at Cincinnati men's basketball game Sunday afternoon, but could not resolve the problem during the telecast.

The transmission of the video and audio of the game had deteriorated so much at the end of the overtime game it was nearly unwatchable.

"We had a problem with the satellite transmission and down linking of the Marquette game this past Sunday," said Jim Hall, the general manager of WMLW. "Our technical staff was working on the issue, but they were unable to resolve it during the game.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/84985172.html

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] WMLW couldn't fix scrambled telecast
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
So basically its the same reception those of us in Madison recieved. SWEET
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

KonaWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
What I don't understand about modern technology is, how was I able to receive the picture clearly through my DirecTV signal all the way here in Hawaii on MASN and yet a more traditional television station just a few hundred miles away from the source mess up a telecast? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
Complete CYA statement.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
I watched it crystal clear on ESPN360 with my laptop and HDMI cable.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
I've had trouble with the WMLW 41 broadcast a couple times this season via Time Warner.  Picture quality is also poor, even on TW's digital channel 982.  I would recommend that MU steer its games locally to TW 32/307 in the future.

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »
I've had trouble with the WMLW 41 broadcast a couple times this season via Time Warner.  Picture quality is also poor, even on TW's digital channel 982.  I would recommend that MU steer its games locally to TW 32/307 in the future.

TW32 >>>>>> WMLW

And TW32's picture sucks.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »

Negative, those of us fortunate enough to not have to suffer with Time Warner don't have TW32.  It shouldn't be on WMLW for sure, but TW32 is not the answer either.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
What I don't understand about modern technology is, how was I able to receive the picture clearly through my DirecTV signal all the way here in Hawaii on MASN and yet a more traditional television station just a few hundred miles away from the source mess up a telecast? 

We got the signal through MASN and I'm sure this Milwaukee channel probably got it off a KU "wild feed" and had trouble encoding properly. 

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
To have to endure this type of bs in 2010 is unacceptable. No apology.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
Negative, those of us fortunate enough to not have to suffer with Time Warner don't have TW32.  It shouldn't be on WMLW for sure, but TW32 is not the answer either.

CBS 58 HD?

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »
And another out of state friend of mine watched it on a feed from Cincinnati's station and it was perfect.

WMLW is terrible. TW32 is better, but not great.

I totally agree this is unacceptable in 2010. Rabbit ears on top of my black and white would have been better than what we had to watch yesterday.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
Unfortunately, rabbit ears weren't any better.  The antenna feed from WMLW and the satellite feed (Dish Network) from WMLW were equally bad - I tried both.  I should have tried FSN Ohio, but didn't think of it.

A local station in the Milwaukee market should pick up ALL the ESPN Regional MU games.  Time Warner32 is definitely not the answer for those who live in Charter land, as TW32 is not an option on Charter cable or via satellite.  If WMLW wants to pick up ALL ESPN Regional games, then great.  Upgrade your equipment to HD and carry ALL of the regional games - not just 5 or 6.   Compressed SD broadcasts WITHOUT pixelation are not acceptable.  Compressed SD broadcasts WITH pixelation are downright embarrassing.  Get your act together WMLW, this is 2010.  :-[

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
Well, while there's a lot of gnashing of teeth about WMLW .. let's remember they are an LP station (or were, prior to the digital conversion) .. and are 6 minutes away from being an infomercial station 24/7.

If not for WMLW, and TWC32, MU would probably have zero carriers in the market.    What, two years ago, zero home games were broadcast, and a quarter of away games weren't either.    

I have no actual knowledge of the bidding process, but I'm guessing channel 4, 6, 12, 28, 24 .. none of them wanted the rights.  

Not a lot of options.  Wish it was better, but not a lot of options.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:37:36 PM by mu_hilltopper »

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
I could be wrong, but for us with Time Warner Cable, ESPN360 is not available for subscription, right?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
I could be wrong, but for us with Time Warner Cable, ESPN360 is not available for subscription, right?

On top of that ESPN360 is not an option for us when TW32 shows the game as they black out 360 in the home market.  Amazing that in the home market in 2010 we have to deal with the uncle fester of tv stations
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »
On top of that ESPN360 is not an option for us when TW32 shows the game as they black out 360 in the home market.  Amazing that in the home market in 2010 we have to deal with the uncle fester of tv stations

I can't get TW (not that I'd want it), but yet MU still gets blocked out on ESPN360 for me.  That being said, the WMLW feed was terrible, so we found it on a couple other Fox Sports stations, and had a great picture.  I'm a HUGE fan of ATT U-Verse.  Great service, affordable packages, fast Internet and one bill for everything from my cell to TV. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 06:24:32 AM »
Quit crying! Yes, the picture was choppy and annoying and I complained about it at the time, but it was still better than listening to the game on the radio or watching a "GameCast" online. A few years ago those would have been our only choices. Shut up and be grateful that the game was even on TV (for the most part).

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 06:36:36 AM »
Quit crying! Yes, the picture was choppy and annoying and I complained about it at the time, but it was still better than listening to the game on the radio or watching a "GameCast" online. A few years ago those would have been our only choices. Shut up and be grateful that the game was even on TV (for the most part).

You should apply for a customer service position at TWC!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »
if a Brewers game were that choppy I'd go to Uecker any day. Homer's not that bad on the call, so I wouldn't be crying if the alternative to seizure-vision wmlw was the radio

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »
From Bob Wolfley's column in today's JournalSentinel, quoting the GM of WMLW:

"We think the issue was possibly due to the strength of the satellite transmission being received at our facility....still investigating the root cause of the problem and then once determined we will be working toward a solution for future games."

Sooooo.........their equipment is from the 1990s and isn't strong enough to adequately pick up a satellite signal. And.........they haven't figured out or fixed the problem so......it could be just as bad tomorrow night for the St. John's game!

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:41 AM »
it could be just as bad tomorrow night for the St. John's game!

If it happens again, the problem with tomorrow is that it is not on any of the other FSN channels.  Usually SNY picks up the game but not tomorrow.  I guess I could go with ESPN360, but that is usually about 1 minute delayed.  I am not patient enough to do that.  If need be I will just put on Homer and be pissed about it.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »
It's on MSGHD, no worries for DirecTV folks...