'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gottlieb: "this was a massive win," says it locked up MU tourney chances  (Read 6757 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
just now on ESPN discussing Mu win today.

Although he does admit they still can play themselves out.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Coleman

• All American
Re: Gottlieb: "this was a massive win," says it locked up MU tourney chances
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
Agree that this is huge but to call it locked up is insane. We have 4 games left and we need to go 2-2 to even have a chance (with a win in the Big East Tourney), 3-1 to be a lock...and all against teams as desperate (if not more) as we are, with 2 of them on the road.

Can we win all 4? Yes.

Will we win all 4? Probably not.

Nothing is locked up. Not even close. Today kept us in, but it didn't prevent us from falling out. Still huge.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »

He says it locked it up but then says they can play themselves out?  Sounds like a definite maybe.

LOL

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »
Edit: he actually said "probably" i believe, but i didn't have enough room in title.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »
Calling us a lock is a little premature, we still have some work to do.  It is nice to see the anylists favoring our chances though.  It would be extremely dissapointing if we made it this far and didnt make the tourney.  But at the same time, I did not at all expect us to make the tournment at the start of the season. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:41 AM »
Didn't think it warranted a new topic so I thought I'd put it under one with ESPN coverage. During our highlight on Sportscenter that I just saw, John Anderson described Lazar as Bo Ellis good after the deep three to tie it up. I thought it was a pretty cool reference, helps that John is from Green Bay I'm sure.

As far as Gottlieb goes, he seemed pretty confident about our chances after beating USF, so I think this just keeps solidifying chances in his eyes. It obviously doesn't put us in, but with many other bubble teams losing to some lesser teams recently, it is huge that we can keep beating teams on the bubble to keep building a cushion. Obviously we still need some more wins but we should be a lock with 11 wins even with our somewhat soft resume.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »
Obviously we still need some more wins but we should be a lock with 11 wins even with our somewhat soft resume.

Agree that 11 is the magic number.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:08:46 AM »
Getting to 11 conference wins gets us in....no doubt.  However, going 3-1, 2 of which are on the road, is a tall task.  I will be much more confident about going 3-1 if we can immediately get 1 of those wins by beating St. Johns on the road on Wed.  1 game at a time.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
We are in a good position right now... we control our destiny for the most part, but anything is possible especially when teams are desperate and one the road in the Big East!!  I'm nervous about the Louisville match up though... Pitino's teams always peak at the right time it seems  :-\

Hopefully by that time we will be on a 4 game winning streak and should be in a really strong position to get in already.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
I thought Gottleib HATED us... ::)

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »
nice to be talked about as "likely in" versus "on the bubble" or "needs work to get in"

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:09:52 AM »
Marquette is locked in with respect to the fact they control their own destiny.  Win and they are in and they won't need help from other teams.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »

Gottlieb's vesion of, "She is a no longer a virgin, for now..." That guy is an assbag.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Gottlieb's vesion of, "She is a no longer a virgin, for now..." That guy is an assbag.
How could you possibly have read the quotes from Gottlieb and then have that reaction?  Essentially, he said that we're a lock for the tournament if we win the games we're supposed to win the rest of the season - where is the negative in that statement?

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
Gottlieb is the prototypical "I want to try and be the first one to say it" sort of guy. Take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I sort of agree with him. Win the games we are projected to win from here on out, we should punch our ticket. Won't take any more great wins, just good ones. Taking it to Slick Rick at home suuuuuure would be nice and would certainly punch our ticket

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
He says it locked it up but then says they can play themselves out?  Sounds like a definite maybe.

LOL

all year long espn describes teams as locks.  It means "if the season was over today they would be a lock."  not "even if they go winless from here out they will make it in." 

When people were calling teams locks on Januar 5th they did not mean that they could finish last in their conference and still make it.  I'm shocked at how many people don't understand what i think is a pretty common expression.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
I will be much more confident about going 3-1 if we can immediately get 1 of those wins by beating St. Johns on the road on Wed.  1 game at a time.

I will be much more confident about going 3-1 if we can win the next three games ;)

That's not meant to be a Yogi-ism, that comes with life as a Cubs fan!  The doubt seeps into all areas of your sports fan life.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
im worried about the St. Johns game first. They have been hot as of late and we cannot take them lightly. Let wins that one first before worrying about anything else.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »
all year long espn describes teams as locks.  It means "if the season was over today they would be a lock."  not "even if they go winless from here out they will make it in." 

When people were calling teams locks on Januar 5th they did not mean that they could finish last in their conference and still make it.  I'm shocked at how many people don't understand what i think is a pretty common expression.

Fair enough, but that's a stupid word to use if a team really isn't a lock. Hypothetical lock?

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
what about 10-8 with 2 wins in the BE tourney?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:35 PM »
Lmao me and this guy in the mu chat during the game were like crying at the end of the game from laughter. When one of the announcers said compelling evidence i lost it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
yes 10-8 two BE tourney wins would definitly be enough. 12 wins should be more than enough to get us in. That would put us at 21-12 and sitting pretty good in terms of numbers.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »
I was looking through past tournaments and their seedings, i believe it was 4 years ago michigan state finished 18-12 and got a 7 seed. What is that crap

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »
They probably played a good scedule, solid RPI and alot of good resume wins.

feedback