Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE Coach of the Year  (Read 2664 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
BE Coach of the Year
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
It looks like Dixon at Pitt has to be the favorite.  His team has now beaten Marq and Nova this week, so he and Boeheim have got to be the front runners.  Buzz may still get some votes, but hard for him to overcome Dixon now.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: BE Coach of the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
I think Boeheim is still the favorite, but Dixon is definitely the sentimental one at this point. Jay Wright would probably finish third.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
It definitely won't be Mickey Cronin
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
Why they had some of their best players on the bench at the end of the 2nd half, and why they didn't go more inside is beyond me.  Gates only played 22 minutes and killed us on 6 of 9 shooting. 

The Pickle

• Team Captain
Re: It definitely won't be Mickey Cronin
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »
Why they had some of their best players on the bench at the end of the 2nd half, and why they didn't go more inside is beyond me.  Gates only played 22 minutes and killed us on 6 of 9 shooting. 

Cronin = moron.  Especially after our last game against Pitt.  Did they not get tape of that game? 

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
if people would realize the difference in talent (particularly size), Buzz would BE coach of the year
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

avid1010

• All American
Re: It definitely won't be Mickey Cronin
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »

If Cronin didn't do so for non-basketball related reasons, he should give a game check back to Cincy at the very least!

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »
IT should be Buzz, no question.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
The COY should represent someone who did the unexpected.  Buzz, so far, fits that bill nicely.  We need to win the next one.  The most important game of the year is always the nest one.  Let's do it!

GO MARQUETTE!!  And Go Buzz!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:32:39 PM »
The COY should represent someone who did the unexpected.  Buzz, so far, fits that bill nicely.  We need to win the next one.  The most important game of the year is always the nest one.  Let's do it!

GO MARQUETTE!!  And Go Buzz!

Pitt was not supposed to be a top 4 team, Pitt beat us head to head, and Pitt will finish ahead of us.  Dixon beats Buzz here, but that does not mean Buzz has done one heck of a job.  He has proved that he is capable of coaching.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
Syracuse wasn't picked to finish better than sixth, I believe. Plus, they lost 4 of their top 6 players from last year. To be a top 5 team in the country now and in first place in the conference is "unexpected."

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 05:43:12 PM »
The only argument for Buzz over Dixon is that this is Buzz's second year and he doesn't have a system in place to replace guys to graduation.  Other than that, Buzz and Dixon had similar losses (leadership, point guard, starters) to their team and Dixon is doing better.  I love Buzz and he is getting the absolute most out of this team but Dixon should get it.  Pitt's having a great season.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
It is a little early to annoint buzz williams big east coach of the year in my opinion.  He is definatley in the discussion though.  I think he first needs to lead us to the tournament which means we have to have at least a 10-8 big east record. He has done an outstanding job taking a team who lost arguably three of the best players to play for marquette, and leading them as far as we have come.  I'd like to see him finish the job and get us into the tourney. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »
Too soon.  MU could still finish 8-10 in conference.  That sure wouldn't do it.  But they could also finish 12-6.  That might do it for Buzz.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
It is too soon - we have to keep winning.  The next game is most important - so let's GO MARQUETTE!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
Dixon or Boeheim, hands down with what they lost from last year. And I am no Boeheim cheerleader. Always thought he was a whiner--but he does get the job done.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Dixon or Boeheim, hands down with what they lost from last year. And I am no Boeheim cheerleader. Always thought he was a whiner--but he does get the job done.

But, if Buzz would get Acker and Cubillan out of there and play someone else, he'd be a shoo in right Willie?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
The argument depends on if it should go to the coach of the team that has the most talent and does well or the coach with lesser talent that exceeds expectations. The coach is responsible for bringing in the talent. So Boheim built his team and should get credit for it. Three of MU key players were not recruited by Buzz. What Buzz has done with this team has far exceeded my expectations, but when you look at the whole picture you have to give it to Dixon or Boheim.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
It is a little early to annoint buzz williams big east coach of the year in my opinion.  He is definatley in the discussion though.  I think he first needs to lead us to the tournament which means we have to have at least a 10-8 big east record. He has done an outstanding job taking a team who lost arguably three of the best players to play for marquette, and leading them as far as we have come.  I'd like to see him finish the job and get us into the tourney. 

Pitt lost Young, Fields, and Blair.  Pitt's ranked and is having a great season.  If we would have beat Pitt, then I would say Buzz gets the nod over Dixon.  But Pitt won and (at least to the world outside of MU) is better than us.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
Seeing as I think this year's talent equals a rebuilding year and was unsure on Buzz's defensive coaching,  I've been very pleasantly surprised thus far.

I think I underestimated a couple players though:

1) Jimmy Butler-kid is sooo efficient and a foul drawing machine
2) DJO- didn't know he was going to be this good an outside shooter
3) Acker- has looked more solid than I expected even as a 5th year senior.... think he's at his best passing around the perimeter rather than trying to create too often.  Not bad for a guy who probably wasn't going to play if Cadougan never gets injured after being kicked off the team.   

feedback