[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For Those That Say Buzz Can't Draw Up A Play During A TO  (Read 4623 times)

bradforster

• All American
For Those That Say Buzz Can't Draw Up A Play During A TO
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
The call to release Butler deep for a break away bucket that put the team up four late seemed like a pretty adroit decision.  What do the critics have to say now? 

Rocco

• Starter
Re: For Those That Say Buzz Can't Draw Up A Play During A TO
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »
Im not ripping buzz, but isn't that more bad coaching by Cincy than a great X and O play call by Buzz?  Pretty stupid to not have a guy back.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »
Im not ripping buzz, but isn't that more bad coaching by Cincy than a great X and O play call by Buzz?  Pretty stupid to not have a guy back.

If Buzz is taking advantage of (maybe) another coaches mistake, does that mean he outcoached the other coach?  Shocking...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
Yeah, it was a smart move by Buzz, but it was just as stupid by UC

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »
then there was the play out of a TO where cubi shot a fadeaway three with a hand in his face....

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
then there was the play out of a TO where cubi shot a fadeaway three with a hand in his face....

It was a broken play.  DJO drove, lost it, Cubes recovered and jacked a silly shot with 15 seconds left on the clock.  I thought Buzz should have called another TO when Cubes recovered though.  Oh well...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
One of the announcersm called the same thing on Butler's flash.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »
Getting DJO, Jimmy, or Lazar the ball in a spot where they can go one on one is really the only "play" that Buzz can call.  We depend on them creating offense for themselves and others. 

Maybe people want to see the picket fence or some sort of Statue of Liberty-esq trick play out of every timeout, but I am satisfied with getting our players the ball in spots and letting them go to work.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
The call to release Butler deep for a break away bucket that put the team up four late seemed like a pretty adroit decision.  What do the critics have to say now? 

It was a great play.

Buzz saw that up close on Thursday night when Pitt ran the same play to get Dixon that game clinching dunk. Smart to steal it and use it against Cincy.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
Cronin is stupid:  Glass half empty.
Buzz is smart:  Glass half full.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
He also doesn't make them shoot free throws! Did you see butler miss that freethrow.  How can a team only make 16 of 17 free throws in a clutch game.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »
It's the weakest part of his game plan.  I don't even think i'd call that a 'play' just good recognition by the players.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
It's the weakest part of his game plan.  I don't even think i'd call that a 'play' just good recognition by the players.

No dude, that was a play.  Buzz discussed it post game...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
It was a great play.

Buzz saw that up close on Thursday night when Pitt ran the same play to get Dixon that game clinching dunk. Smart to steal it and use it against Cincy.

Buzz ran the exact same play in OCC...I think against Presby.  Sweet call to get Jimmy behind the defenders with his length, especially with our recent problems inbounding the ball late due to our lack of height.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 10:43:11 PM »
Sweet call, sweeter execution.  When the ball left Hayward's hands, I thought he over threw Butler.  That is a tough pass.

mklenn

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »
it was a great recognition by the players/buzz but everyone i was sitting with was calling for the same thing when we saw no one back on D. it's very simple, set a screen, then have the screener take off down court. having it on the sideline instead of baseline made it even easier. until we are running actual plays to end a half or get a big basket that doesn't involve DJO going 1 on 1 we should relax on calling buzz a great play caller.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »
until we are running actual plays to end a half or get a big basket that doesn't involve DJO going 1 on 1 we should relax on calling buzz a great play caller.

What do you want Buzz to call?  DJO 1 on 1 might be the highest percentage shot we will get with the clock winding down.  Maybe Jimmy, but I don't know what people are expecting Buzz to call.

Seriously, though.  Do you want double screens?  A trick back door?  An alleyoop to the point guard (the old D James play)?  The picket fence?  The hidden ball trick? 

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
What do you want Buzz to call?  DJO 1 on 1 might be the highest percentage shot we will get with the clock winding down.  Maybe Jimmy, but I don't know what people are expecting Buzz to call.

Seriously, though.  Do you want double screens?  A trick back door?  An alleyoop to the point guard (the old D James play)?  The picket fence?  The hidden ball trick? 

I saw we run the picket fence at 'em.  Don't get caught watching the paint dry...

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
I guess i don't understand the intricacies involved but i think we should run that play everytime jb has a clear path to the basket with the entire team lined up behind him.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:01:15 PM by RawdogDX »

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
That won't happen most of the time.  The defender never should have let him get behind the defense and commonly teams will put a man back on D.  The only way it works is like Saturday when you are up and they are pressuring the ball.  But you are right, it was a great play...