[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 thoughts on game/some of the ridiculous comments on this board  (Read 3188 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
5 thoughts on game/some of the ridiculous comments on this board
« on: February 15, 2007, 09:09:52 AM »
I guess I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Could some of you overreact more?

1. We lost a conference game on the road - stop the presses! (Check that, two conference games on the road, one of which wae to one of the best teams in the country, and likely BE Champion). I'm not sure, but I don't think that's the first time that's happened. I could swear that Notre Dame, who we play next week in a game for some reason everyone seems to have placed in the loss column about 12 hours ago, just did the same thing. For the record, DePaul is 11-2 at home (MU is 13-3), with their losses coming to Pitt and Louisville. My God, how could we lose this game?

2. DJ - I am not going to try to defend the first of those 3-pt shots at the end (the second was desperation time and pretty irrelevant), but over the course of the last 12 hours the kid has been ripped mercilessly. Things like he needs to stop shooting, maybe he should go pro, we'd be better off without him. He had what 17 points, 5 rebs, 5 asst. or something like that. Yep that's pretty awful. His defense in the second half was key to us even being in that game. He is one guy I am not at all worried about - he will get it together. In fact if you want a silver lining, look at it this way, he wanted the ball and he wanted to be the guy to take the shot when it mattered. You can't teach that, and not a lot of guys have it. He has demonstrated it time and time again. He is struggling to be sure, but we are nowhere without him this year. I find it comical that everyone defends Jerel McNeal's frequent boners saying something to the effect of, you have to take the good with the bad, yet somehow that doesn't apply to James.  ::) Jerel hasn't seen many 3-pt shots he doesn't like either, and has a whopping .276 3-pt % - lower than DJ's, but when it comes to his three point shooting I hear crickets. Interesting.

3. I think the team did look a step slow, and a bit sluggish the last couple games (I am making no insinuations about the length of practices. Not sure if I believe in all that). Perhaps the flu bug has something to do with it, but they do look just a bit tired to me. They better find a way to suck it up though if that's the case as we have Saturday - Monday coming up. No rest for the weary.

4. Sometimes you lose - yet after this one I heard things like "we look awful"..."worst loss of the season (some actually tried to argue it was worse than NDSU)"..."we don't belong in the Top 25 (does Kansas?)"..."we may not win another game." Are you serious? Really, are you serious? Pittsburgh was torn limb from limb on their home floor by Louisville jus afew short days ago. Yet after one game, many are now convinced we have no chance when we play them on the 3rd. ND lost at USF. Again, many have already put that one in the loss column. Villanova lost at home to (gulp) DePaul!  :o Yet somehow Villanova's going to beat us, and DePaul was the worst loss of the year. Snap out of it people! Some of you either were shaken as children, or need to be shaken now.

5. More than anything else, the first half defense is what concerned me about last night, and is the reason we lost (FT's didn't help - See comment number 3). Yet I felt much better by the end of the game, because they really did tighten it up in the second half. All of the things that really caused that loss are correctable. The current situation is very similar to what it was after the back to back losses to Providence and Syracuse - a bit slowed and short handed due to injury/illness and they have not been showing up with max effort or execution - especially on defense. Obviously something that needs to be corrected, but anyone who thinks that it will not be corrected, clearly hasn't watched this team very closely.

So unbunch your fricken panties, take some Midol, do whatever you have to do and get out to the game Saturday and try to have a good time.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: 5 thoughts on game/some of the ridiculous comments on this board
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »
Truly, the comments are all made due to the fluctuating expectations from October to today.  In October, I think "the board" would have been thrilled with 8-4 and a top 15 ranking. 

But when you beat Pitt and UL on the road, suddenly losing to DePaul is extremely frustrating.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 09:22:15 AM »
Naivin,

Well stated!

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:27:39 AM »
Good post but I do believe top 25 teams win the games they are supposed to win...road or not...especially after a major whupping to Georgetown and to a team that is under .500.

One of my biggest concerns for the team is it's uncharacteristically poor defense.  Several of the guys on opposing teams who we know we need to slow down, have been lighting us up for double digits these last few games.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »
Snap out of it people! Some of you either were shaken as children, or need to be shaken now.

LOL.  All very good points.  I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I was super nervous even heading into this game.  DePaul is up & down this year, and you knew that our whole team would not be 100% (you don't go from puking to 100% in 4 days).

I did like that Crean called out the bench and the big guys in the post game show.  Similar to calling out people after the 'cuse game - "something's gotta' change".

I would have preferred a win last night, but our prospects are still good if we can take care of business. We've done it before, we can do it again...

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:52 AM »
Good post but I do believe top 25 teams win the games they are supposed to win...road or not...especially after a major whupping to Georgetown and to a team that is under .500.

Some of you should really do some research before spewing some of this trash like its gospel.  A quick look at the bottom half of the top 25 shows that a majority of them have lost road/home games to teams that they should have beat like Alabama, Indiana, West Virginia and Boston College.  Welcome to NCAA basketball version 2006-2007 where parity reigns.  

I think we have proven that we are not a top 15 team but we do fall into the mix of probably 20 other teams that can beat almost anyone on any given night.  Conversly we can also lose to any decent teams out there as well.  DePaul has a ton of talent and played very inspired ball last night.  I think we are a slightly better team than DePaul and I am positive the outcome would have been different if it was a home game.  The truth of the matter is that unless you are an elite team, road wins are difficult.

Our defense and free throw shooting ultimately cost us the game yesterday.  Here is hoping that the team and especially the bigs step up to the plate the rest of the year.  Judging by TC's comments and actions last night, I think they are going to get reamed in practice for the next few days leading up to the Louisville game and rightfully so.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 10:02:06 AM »
Snap out of it people! Some of you either were shaken as children, or need to be shaken now.

I did like that Crean called out the bench and the big guys in the post game show.  Similar to calling out people after the 'cuse game - "something's gotta' change".

Besides the post game comments, you could tell by TC's substition patterns in the game that he was not happy with the effort.  I don't ever recall him yanking guys out so quickly and so often as he did last night.  I know some of had to do with the pace of the game but he was consistently shuffling players in and out in that first half.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
I was at the Providence game...he was pretty active with subs in that one.   I miss the fact that we don't play good D.

Warrior Farls

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »
Good post...for a Jerk.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Unless, of course, you buy me a beer on Saturday.  ;)
"Roland was a warrior" -Warren Zevon