Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best pre & post game hangouts for MU...  (Read 6983 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Best pre & post game hangouts for MU...
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:09 AM »
The CBS guy's question has me wondering what are the most popular pre & post game hangouts for the MUScoop community?  Seems like whenever I come up as an out of towner, the regular spots are hit or miss.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Best pre & post game hangouts for MU...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
Pregame is Buck Bradley's. Post game is Turners.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
I hate it when people argue by narrative, so thats exactly what I'm going to do.
Sentimentally, my favorite post game place is Rosies. I know, crappy.  But during weekday games, their specials can't be beat and for students looking to slum it because they can't afford Turners and don't want to wait in line at Bootleggers, its perfect.  The narrative part comes in because Rosies was responsible for numbing my pain after the UConn game when Dom went down last year.  Somehow, against all odds, that night ended up not being one of the worst of my life.  For that, I will always owe Rosies a shout out in threads like this.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
i will always remember that night for the absolute shock and feeling of despair. i was in rough shape.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
Yeah, being in a complete state of euphoria then realizing the season was going down the tubes (relatively speaking) in a matter of seconds was emotional draining, not to mention completely crushing.

MUBalla23

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
Best pre game place has to be turners.  Atmostphere is incredible

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »

+1

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »

+2

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
I think the answer to this question is very age dependent.  If I were <30 years old, post-game at Turners would seem like a punishment.  Similarly if I were >35 merely entering Bootleggers may get me investigated for statutory.  

To steal from a post in the Superbar - AJ Bombers has one of the best burgers in MKE, but is a little longer walk from Water St. than some are interested in and likely not a very exciting pre-game environment.  Molly Cools is interesting and usually a pretty good place for a variety of ages.  Post-game I like the two small beers you get per order at Milwaukee Brat House on 3rd.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
I think the answer to this question is very age dependent.  If I were <30 years old, post-game at Turners would seem like a punishment.  Similarly if I were >35 merely entering Bootleggers may get me investigated for statutory.  

To steal from a post in the Superbar - AJ Bombers has one of the best burgers in MKE, but is a little longer walk from Water St. than some are interested in and likely not a very exciting pre-game environment.  Molly Cools is interesting and usually a pretty good place for a variety of ages.  Post-game I like the two small beers you get per order at Milwaukee Brat House on 3rd.

I haven't been to Milwaukee in a few years so please, please tell me this hasn't changed, but if anyone can compete with Sobelman's for best burger, they are bringing some serious game.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »
I haven't been to Milwaukee in a few years so please, please tell me this hasn't changed, but if anyone can compete with Sobelman's for best burger, they are bringing some serious game.

It is an ongoing debate that appears to follow the same principals in which you believe.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=17951.0

There used to be a bar behind the parking lot next to Turners, the name escapes me, and I remember it was a good time after games 2000-2002. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
Is that bar behind Turners, Major Goolsbee's (sp).  I do not think it is under the same name anymore but not sure?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
Is that bar behind Turners, Major Goolsbee's (sp).  I do not think it is under the same name anymore but not sure?

It is either Bootleggers (currently closed on a license suspension) or the Old German Beer Hall (a personal fav. of mine).
But I like to throw handfuls...

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »

There used to be a bar behind the parking lot next to Turners, the name escapes me, and I remember it was a good time after games 2000-2002.  

I think you are thinking of Buck Bradleys, extremely long and narrow bar, always packed on gameday.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »
I know we've been discussing it a lot recently, but The Durango Grill has become my personal favorite hangout before games.  Decent drink specials and great BBQ (brisket, ribs, pulled pork) along with Milwaukee's #1 chili have stolen my heart. 

The place has been officially open for less than a month and it's already packed before every MU game :)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »

I think you are thinking of Buck Bradleys, extremely long and narrow bar, always packed on gameday.

Yes.  That is it. Maybe.  I might be thinking of Calderone. 

Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:58:56 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
Yes.  That is it. Maybe.  I might be thinking of Calderone. 

Oh well.

Lukas on State for the win, please.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »
I know we've been discussing it a lot recently, but The Durango Grill has become my personal favorite hangout before games.  Decent drink specials and great BBQ (brisket, ribs, pulled pork) along with Milwaukee's #1 chili have stolen my heart. 

The place has been officially open for less than a month and it's already packed before every MU game :)

where is it?

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »
where is it?

It is right next to Old German Beer Hall.
1007 N. Old World Third St.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
It is right next to Old German Beer Hall.
1007 N. Old World Third St.

Was that place called Al Capone's last year?

I agree Turners or Buck Bradleys are the best, but I'm a fan of the Calderone Pub if you don't feel like dealing with the mob-scene at those other places.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
Was that place called Al Capone's last year?

I agree Turners or Buck Bradleys are the best, but I'm a fan of the Calderone Pub if you don't feel like dealing with the mob-scene at those other places.

Yes, I believe it was Capone's last year.

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
What about the best place/sports bar to actually watch a home game if you don't have tickets?  

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:33 AM »
The BEST place used to be "The Corner" (what is now AJ Bombers)...for ANY age...I can remember a bunch of us used to being our parents there all the time!!

Bootleggers is $1 beers...but the service is crappy and they are always PACKED after games.

I'll hang out just about anywhere after a big MU win!!
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
That new place Center Court has the best TV set up I've seen of the places near the BC.  If you don't care about being close to the BC and like gambling, the sports bar at Potowatomi would be an option.

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »
I know Fanatics is a good sports bar, but I've never been there for a home game.  The Annex is where I prefer for road games when they have a viewing party, kind of recreates the shared atmosphere of watching a game, but I'm trying to find a place like that for home games because I can only afford to go to a couple games a year.

feedback