'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: STOP ATTACKING DJ!!!  (Read 4062 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
STOP ATTACKING DJ!!!
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:03:26 PM »
true, he's dead when it comes to shooting now, it's called a slump, he needs to alter his game and he'll break out of it eventually, hopefully sooner than later. When our other big players have the flu or get in foul trouble early, he has to attempt to step up. This has turned into very, very bad shooting by him as of late, but good grief everyone...he's a sophomore...he's been playing D-1 for under 2 yrs, he's got a lot of growing to do and needs to be cut some slack!!

SO STOP ATTACKING ONE OF OUR STAR PLAYERS AND LETS TALK ABOUT WHAT THE TEAM CAN DO TO IMPROVE AND GET BACK TO THEIR WINNING WAYS!!! UGH!!

ecompt

• All American
Re: STOP ATTACKING DJ!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
If he knows he's in a slump, then why heave up 35-footers when there's plenty of time on the clock? Sorry, he looks like he's trying to prove he's NBA-worthy.

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
ppl are expressing their ideas. thats what this is for. lighten up with the caps, bro.

james needs to quit with the 3's until he can actually knock 'em down. most importantly, however, we need to start shooting more than 52.4% on ft's. i liked that crean called these guys out a few weeks ago about not putting in the time that the final four team did, but something more needs to be done, or we arent going to see many post season games.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »
true, he's dead when it comes to shooting now, it's called a slump, he needs to alter his game and he'll break out of it eventually, hopefully sooner than later. When our other big players have the flu or get in foul trouble early, he has to attempt to step up. This has turned into very, very bad shooting by him as of late, but good grief everyone...he's a sophomore...he's been playing D-1 for under 2 yrs, he's got a lot of growing to do and needs to be cut some slack!!

SO STOP ATTACKING ONE OF OUR STAR PLAYERS AND LETS TALK ABOUT WHAT THE TEAM CAN DO TO IMPROVE AND GET BACK TO THEIR WINNING WAYS!!! UGH!!

unfortunately for DJ, one of the things the team needs in order to improve is for him to cut down on his shooting, especially from 3 point range and beyond. this has been the case in each of MU's conference losses. asking a player to shoot less and make better decisions is hardly an attack. the fans realize that we need DJ to play better in order for MU to win on a regular basis. i don't believe that can be considered "attacking" a player.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »
i know the boards are for expressing ideas, i for one am just sick of ppl straight up bashing someone, yes, he played bad, yes, he's playing stupid, do we need 5 different threads every game discussing this with 30 posts on each? no, and don't call me bro ons.

the thing is we don't need james to score 18 pts a night to win, that's the thing, if he plays a PG roll, Fitz, McNeal, Matthews, all can hit shots, and Hayward is stepping up big as of late. I am simply trying to point out that we don't need to have 150 (5 X 30 is 150) negative posts about one player, focus on the team as a whole and what they need to do better.

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:16:01 PM »
DJ on the season is 39/135 from 3pt (28.8%) and in the last 6 games (since seton hall) he is 4/27 (14.8%)

theres a certain thing in economics called comparative advantage in which those who perform best in certain roles play out those roles to improve the benefits of everyone.

james needs to realize that his role right now is not as the 3pt machine that he thinks he is. thats all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:26:33 PM by ons20 »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
and this stat is being thrown out here because....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 11:08:09 PM »
Whew...and here I thought the thread was telling DJ to stop attacking the basket  :P

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 11:09:10 PM »
Because he isn't a good 3 point shooter?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »
I thought Dom played pretty well tonight. It wasn't a great Dom night, but it wasn't bad, either. IMO, it was a typical one (which means good). 17 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and a steal. He shot about 30-some%. Not great, but typical Dom, and I would take it any day.

Yes, the 35 footer with 12ish seconds left was dumb, but how many other times have you seen that all across the country? Somebody goes for the 3 to tie, rather than 2 and foul. It's dumb, but it's also common.

The kid deserves a break. He is trying to be a leader and put this team on his back on a night when we needed somebody to step up. He tried, he failed in the long run. I don't think there's too much to complain about on that front.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »
I thought Dom played pretty well tonight. It wasn't a great Dom night, but it wasn't bad, either. IMO, it was a typical one (which means good). 17 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and a steal. He shot about 30-some%. Not great, but typical Dom, and I would take it any day.

Yes, the 35 footer with 12ish seconds left was dumb, but how many other times have you seen that all across the country? Somebody goes for the 3 to tie, rather than 2 and foul. It's dumb, but it's also common.

The kid deserves a break. He is trying to be a leader and put this team on his back on a night when we needed somebody to step up. He tried, he failed in the long run. I don't think there's too much to complain about on that front.

Have to agree.  17 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds....hustled his butt off.  That steal was incredible.  Unfortunately he can't hit the ocean right now and those two 3's at the end of the game were not good (Crean was not happy).  The kid is a competitor and wants to win...he's a 19 year old sophomore...sometimes he plays like a 19 year old sophomore.  Go figure.   ;)

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 07:39:49 AM »
Have to agree.  17 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds....hustled his butt off.  That steal was incredible.  Unfortunately he can't hit the ocean right now and those two 3's at the end of the game were not good (Crean was not happy).  The kid is a competitor and wants to win...he's a 19 year old sophomore...sometimes he plays like a 19 year old sophomore.  Go figure.   ;)

You are right, but if the coach doesn't want him taking those shots (which he shouldn't given his recent success at them), then he shouldn't be taking them.  It is real simple -- either Crean is giving him the green light and asking him to take the shots (in which case his judgment should be questioned), or James is not listening to the coach (which is justifiable criticism, IMO).  Those two shots are just near the end of the game, but those were arguably some of the biggest shots of the night and he shouldn't have been taking them.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
Judging by Crean's comments after the game, he is clearly NOT giving DJ the green light from outside.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 08:29:14 AM »
Judging by Crean's comments after the game, he is clearly NOT giving DJ the green light from outside.

If that is the case (and it makes sense, I didn't hear the comments), the question becomes what does the coach do to prevent that from happening again?  This is a tough question, because kids respond differently to criticism, but Crean knows him better than most so he should figure it out.  Needs to be done before the stretch run though, otherwise we will have another early exit. 

feedback