Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Lazar deserves Big East MVP as MU could be playing for 3rd on Thursday  (Read 2336 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Lazar deserves Big East MVP as MU could be playing for 3rd on Thursday

Written by: jpudner@concentricgrasstops.com (bamamarquettefan1)

While someone else will be picked as the top player in the Big East this year, and others are bigger NBA prospects, when you look at where Marquette is today, there is no doubt that Lazar Hayward is the Most VALUABLE Player in the Big East this year.

With Lazar as the only returning player who had played even HALF the team’s minutes last year, MU was picked to finish 13th in the Big East.  That was BEFORE their only players over 6-foot-7 both got injured, making Lazar the guy who had to take on opposing big men despite being only 6-foot-6, and their presumed starting point guard went down for months with an Achilles heel.

The fact that Marquette could be playing for 3rd place in the Big East Thursday against Pitt is a testament to Lazar’s conference play and leadership in bringing along the incredibly talented new recruits and his two fellow seniors.

Lazar’s makes MU one of only 6 teams to not lose by double figures this year

It is astonishing that a team as inexperienced as MU has not been blown out ONCE in 24 games.  A team with very little experience, who relies on the 3-pointer would be expected to be inconsistent and just get blown away several times.  In basketball, even good teams get blown out by 20 a couple of times a year.  Yet somehow Lazar has never let the team get down, even when losing, making MU one of only six teams (of 347) to not lose a single game by double digits this year.  Here are the others:
1. Baylor (by 7 to Colorado and Texas A&M)
2. Kansas (by 8 to Tennessee)
3. Purdue (by 8 to Northwestern)
4. Dayton (by 8 to KState)
5. Marquette (by 9 to Wisconsin)
6. Murray State (by 9 to Western Kentucky)
(the worst losses for Nova, Syracuse, Butler, UTEP and UAB were all by 10 points, everyone else in the country has lost by more than 10 points.)

As good as last year’s team was, Dayton, Tennessee, Villanova, UConn and Pitt all beat MU by more than 10 points.

Lazar has played his best against the Big East

Many stars build up their stats during the creampuff schedule, and then average far fewer points and rebounds once the rugged Big East play starts.  Lazar was just the opposite, sharing and sitting during blowouts to get everyone else touches and confidence.  While this holds down his season averages, it helped the team.

Once Big East play started, Lazar took over.

Lazar really does do all the little things, like drawing charges on breakaways and rejecting opposing stars (see future NBA star Dominique Jones last night).

In Big East play, MU looks like a high school team trying to box out – not for their lack of effort or technique, but for the incredible size they give up at every position. Lazar has grabbed an incredible 76 DEFENSIVE rebounds in conference play.  Take them away and Marquette has grabbed only 161 defensive rebounds while giving up 138 offensive rebounds in conference play.  Without Lazar opponents would come close to grabbing 50% of the rebounds when they miss.  Lazar is BY FAR the most important player in the Big East on the boards, since he gives us our ONLY size and force on the defensive glass, as his 76 defensive rebounds hold opponents under 37% on their offensive rebounds.

Basically, Marquette only has two ways to stop opponents from scoring most of the time – force  a turnover or Lazar grabbing a rebound after a miss.

So while Lazar is our only defensive rebounder, who gets the most credit for forcing turnovers?  Despite the great effort from Mo Acker, Cube, DJO and Dwight Buycks, in BIG EAST PLAY LAZAR HAS 25 STEALS, MORE THAN TWICE AS MANY AS ANY OTHER MARQUETTE PLAYER!

Marquette simply wouldn’t be able to stop any Big East opponent without him, and the fact that we have won seven games and lost the other five by a total of 11 points is only possible because of him.

Best inside-out offensive threat in BE

Shifting over to offense, all Lazar has done is to shoot 43% from 3-point land (29 of 68), and made 84% of his freethrows, to average 18.5 ppg IN BIG EAST PLAY.  Overall he has added more than 9 rebounds a game IN BIG EAST PLAY.

Sure, there are a few guys with higher averages (again, if Jones could have just shot 40 times yesterday he could have outscored Lazar), but no one else has provided a tougher matchup in Big East play by  dominating inside and out, and no one who fills a bigger void on a team.

You can argue about who is the most outstanding player in the Big East, but when it comes down to who is the most valuable to his team, it is Lazar Hayward without a doubt.  We have had a ton of great improvements and great recruiting by Buzz to reload so quickly, but none of this would have been possible without Lazar.

MU isn’t in the tournament yet.  The RPI is a borderline 58th because it isn’t allowed to factor win margins so coming close against Nova, Syracuse, West Virginia on the road just counts as losses.  Factor in the spreads like www.kenpom.com does and MU calculates as the 18th best team in the country.  Hopefully MU finishes the last six strong and the Selection Committee gets MU in the tourney, but the fact that we are even on the bubble at this stage of the season is a tribute to the Big East’s true Most Valuable Player, Lazar Hayward.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/lazar-deserves-big-east-mvp-as-mu-could.html

Coleman

• All American
Not to be a debby downer, but how would we be playing for 3rd against Pitt?

Nova, Syracuse and WVA all have 4 or fewer losses and we have 5, and even if WVA lost their next game they have the tiebraker over us...

And I don't think the selection committee is concerned with our place in the Big East so much as the rest of our resume. Even if we somehow manage to place better than Georgetown or Pitt I think both of their resumes are much stronger than ours. We need to win 4 of our last 6 and let the chips fall where they may. I don't care if we finish 3rd or 7th, so long as we get in the dance.

And at this point, I would love a 5th place finish and be able to try to pick up another win in the BET rather than a double-bye and risk a resume-damaging loss.

EDIT: But I agree with everything about Lazar.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:28:38 PM by ReneeRow »

chapman

• All American
If we have the same record as WVU, we'd still be in third.  Just tied for third and not having the tiebreaker.  I believe the Badgers arrived at one or two of their Big Ten regular season championships that way: same record as another team, but having lost to that team...still good enough to claim a share of the title even if it means you're the 2 seed in the conference tournament.  

If we finish fourth (tie-breakers considered to arrive at the hypothetical double-bye) it means we probably went 11-7 or even 12-6 and that only one of WVU, Georgetown, Louisville, and Pitt is ahead of us.  It also means we beat Pitt and/or Louisville, won at least two of the three road games, and probably beat ND.  At that point there's no such thing as a resume-damaging loss, we're in.

karavotsos

• All American
Lazar deserves Big East MVP as MU could be playing for 3rd on Thursday

Lazar really does do all the little things, like drawing charges on breakaways and rejecting opposing stars (see future NBA star Dominique Jones last night).

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/lazar-deserves-big-east-mvp-as-mu-could.html

I think he got three balls diving on the deck last night, too.  The one where he rolled over the S. Florida player, the one where he slapped the rebound out and Buzz called a timeout, and I thought there was one other.  If they kept a stat for nitty gritties, it's hard to see how Zar wouldn't be at/near the top in that category as well. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
Dominique Jones did not look like a future NBA star to me last night.

Benny B

• All American
And at this point, I would love a 5th place finish and be able to try to pick up another win in the BET rather than a double-bye and risk a resume-damaging loss.

"Selection Sunday" is a bit of a misnomer.  The teams aren't actually selected on Sunday, most are selected much sooner, with it simply being announced on Sunday.  If MU is able to land a 3rd place seed in the BE tourney, by the time they actually play their first game, they will already be in the NCAA tourney.  A loss at that point only hurts their seed.

I challenge anyone to present a feasible scenario whereby MU is on the bubble after finishing the Big East in third place.

Edit:  Sorry, I misinterpreted "resume damaging loss" as MU falling off the bubble.  Obviously a double-bye and a loss could still damage their resume by dropping their seed, but it would probably require losing to a team from the 13-16 category.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:04:47 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

marquette99

• Starter
mu in 3rd
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:48 PM »
If gtown loses to cuse and wvu loses at prov, an mu win would put them in a 3-way tie for 3rd with wvu and pitt and all teams would be .500 against the other 2.  Not clear if the next tiebreaker is record against the top team (nova and we lose) or the next team (gtown and we win). Obviously lville is in our rear view missor too.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
ReneeRow, glad we agree on Lazar, that's the only important thing!

It looks like you are correct that we could not be higher than 4th place after Thursday's game.  I was thinking a potential 3-way or 4-way (Lville, Pitt and WVU) would give us 3rd place, but actually WVU not only has the win over us and the split with Pitt, but beat Lville as well, so even in the 4-team "miniconference," WVU would be 3-1 and we'd be 1-1.

On the comments on Lazar going on the floor.  Yes, I believe he took the ball from three players under the basket for the timeout, and he dove to steal a behind-the-back dribble by Jones.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

radome

• Team Captain
We all knew that Lazar would be our best player this year. I just didn't anticipate this kind of leadership. As strange as it seems, but looking at it a year later, I think that Lazar leaving will be a more difficult gap to fill than the big 3. We had guards inbound. Here's hoping that Crowder can fill some of his shoes.

feedback