Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ONE MORE YEAR!  (Read 12042 times)

ToddPacker

• Starter
Re: ONE MORE YEAR!
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 01:10:33 PM »
Everyone loves the backup quarterback ::)

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »
Everyone loves the back up qb, until he fumbles the snap for the field goal...

I think James will answer many of the doubters and put on a show tonight... I am looking forward to it, should be a good crowd, just have to take the BLUE line all the way out there.

Lets hope Depaul does Deblow... and not play like they did vs Kansas, but instead Northwestern.

The only thing missing is a nice bowl of REAL Real Chili before the game. Anyone have any decent chili suggestions in Chicago? No homemade recipes, I need it now!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 05:54:34 PM »

But, he needs to be more of a leader and a better distributor of the ball.  When you are in a terrible slump, you need to either change how you play(like penetrate and attack the hoop instead of launching 30-foot shots), or just focus on dishing the ball and playing good defense.

You mean like the Rutgers game where he had 7 assists and 0 turnovers?  He took some shots in that game and when they weren't falling, he stopped shooting and played like a true point guard.  Thing is that when McNeal got in foul trouble and Matthews was yacking his brains out, James was forced into trying to pick up the burden.  Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

I am tired of hearing this ONE GAME'S stats. In order for DJ to land a spot in the next level as a PG, he has to put up PG numbers nightly and play like a PG...heck even a decent SG.

You are kidding about the one game stat comment right?  You have to be.  I only mention the Rutgers game because I thought it was funny that the some of the posters around here are so short sighted.  I mean the Rutgers game was the game before the Georgetown game and to read a comment like

"When you are in a terrible slump, you need to either change how you play(like penetrate and attack the hoop instead of launching 30-foot shots), or just focus on dishing the ball and playing good defense."  

was laughable when that is exactly what James did 2 games ago.

Now back to the one game stat comment.  Please.  

USF 16pts 6assists 3 turnovers.  Solid.  
Seton Hall 11pts 4assists 1 turnover.  He didn't force it and played under control.  
Pitt 23pts, 5 assists and no turnovers, plus huge free throws down the stretch.  Louisville 18pts, 5assists and 4 turnovers.  Turnovers hurt but hit some clutch shots.  West Virginia 21pts, 6assists, 4 turnovers and 5 boards.  Very solid.  

Throw in scoring the final 18 points against Valpo when everyone else was non-existent, 2 time player of the week, a Bob Cousy finalist, Wooden Award mid-season All-American, 6 time freshmen of the week and freshmen of the year in the Big East.  

I know Chad Ford is saying that James is having a bad year(he is based on expectations and there is no denying it), but he still a first round bubble pick.  He has fallen about 10-15 spots on the draft board at most.  Not bad considering how MU would be better without him.  :-\   The fact of the matter is he is in a bad slump yet still except for the Georgetown game has found ways to help the team.   I am disappointed but he is a major part of a top 15 team that has a lot of weaknesses like not being able to consistently hit outside shots and suppossedly doesn't have any real studs down low except for maybe Barro but that has been debated about ad nausem as well.  Considering all those weaknesses its a wonder we have won 21 games and are 8-3 in conference.   ::)  

I appreciate those stats.

But what if I threw these out to you:

Nebraska - 32 pts, 7 ast, 3 reb, 1 TO in a win
Wisconsin - 25 pts, 5 ast, 2 reb, 2 TO in a win
DePaul - 15 pts, 9 ast, 4 reb, 4 TO in a loss
Air Force - 34 pts, 5 ast, 4 reb, 3 TO in a win

Those were Diener's number in a season when he had a shooter (Novak) as well as Mason, and MU struggled. No way was that team as "talented" but Diener's numbers holds up to DJ's. He's a better shooter, decision-maker, and gets his teammates involved. Yes, these was during Diener's junior year. I won't use his sophomore stats because of Wade.

Was Diener a first round pick? Nope. So I don't think DJ is just based solely on his athletic ability. His inability to hit the outside shot HURTS his draft chances especially since he's undersized (Diener "towers" over him by 2"). Yeah, I've heard of Muggsy, but that's the best chance scenario for DJ in the NBA unless he develops a consistent jay.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »
77Champs, all good points.  Of course the draft is different every year based on who comes out.

Wade was a #5 pick in one draft but a year later the kid from Wisconsin went #5...no way he goes #5 if he was in Wade's draft.  All depends on who is coming out, how strong that position is, etc. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 06:08:01 PM »
77Champs, all good points.  Of course the draft is different every year based on who comes out.

Wade was a #5 pick in one draft but a year later the kid from Wisconsin went #5...no way he goes #5 if he was in Wade's draft.  All depends on who is coming out, how strong that position is, etc. 

Chico, well said. But as was once stated, if not now, than 2 years. I would rather pick Mike Conley, Jr. over DJ. It may be a thin PG stock, but I don't see DJ going as early as the late second. To me, even that is too early for an undersized PG who doesn't have an outside jay.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 06:15:38 PM »
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.  Most of the draft boards I've seen still have him in the first round, but they are largely based on reputation and not always up to date with the latest goings on.

mu0804

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 06:23:29 PM »
it's been said before but why not keep on saying it.  when dj is good, he's real good and a joy to watch.  when he struggles, it's not a pretty picture.  jumping to the league next year isn't the answer to that problem.  i think he could have a great pro career but if he leaves after this year, if anything, he'll get lost somewhere at the end of the bench and rarely see the court.  how's that going to help him when he could be out leading marquette to a deep run again next year.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 07:12:27 PM »
I think the majority of us here believe that DJ would be better served to stay in school for another year although some question if MU would be better served if DJ stayed(still don't get that).  however there are a lot of factors involved in that decision with money playing a huge role.  The 30th player drafted in the 2005-2006 draft was guaranteed a first year salary of $717.8k and a second year of $771.7k with a club option of a third year $825.5k.  Up until now, DJ has been projected by NBA scouts as a first round pick so it really doesn't matter if we think DJ is ready or not.  Its the NBA scouts.  The NBA draft is all about potential and DJ has shown enough potential to be projected as a first round pick.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »

But, he needs to be more of a leader and a better distributor of the ball.  When you are in a terrible slump, you need to either change how you play(like penetrate and attack the hoop instead of launching 30-foot shots), or just focus on dishing the ball and playing good defense.

You mean like the Rutgers game where he had 7 assists and 0 turnovers?  He took some shots in that game and when they weren't falling, he stopped shooting and played like a true point guard.  Thing is that when McNeal got in foul trouble and Matthews was yacking his brains out, James was forced into trying to pick up the burden.  Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

I am tired of hearing this ONE GAME'S stats. In order for DJ to land a spot in the next level as a PG, he has to put up PG numbers nightly and play like a PG...heck even a decent SG.

You are kidding about the one game stat comment right?  You have to be.  I only mention the Rutgers game because I thought it was funny that the some of the posters around here are so short sighted.  I mean the Rutgers game was the game before the Georgetown game and to read a comment like

"When you are in a terrible slump, you need to either change how you play(like penetrate and attack the hoop instead of launching 30-foot shots), or just focus on dishing the ball and playing good defense."  

was laughable when that is exactly what James did 2 games ago.

Now back to the one game stat comment.  Please.  

USF 16pts 6assists 3 turnovers.  Solid.  
Seton Hall 11pts 4assists 1 turnover.  He didn't force it and played under control.  
Pitt 23pts, 5 assists and no turnovers, plus huge free throws down the stretch.  Louisville 18pts, 5assists and 4 turnovers.  Turnovers hurt but hit some clutch shots.  West Virginia 21pts, 6assists, 4 turnovers and 5 boards.  Very solid.  

Throw in scoring the final 18 points against Valpo when everyone else was non-existent, 2 time player of the week, a Bob Cousy finalist, Wooden Award mid-season All-American, 6 time freshmen of the week and freshmen of the year in the Big East.  

I know Chad Ford is saying that James is having a bad year(he is based on expectations and there is no denying it), but he still a first round bubble pick.  He has fallen about 10-15 spots on the draft board at most.  Not bad considering how MU would be better without him.  :-\   The fact of the matter is he is in a bad slump yet still except for the Georgetown game has found ways to help the team.   I am disappointed but he is a major part of a top 15 team that has a lot of weaknesses like not being able to consistently hit outside shots and suppossedly doesn't have any real studs down low except for maybe Barro but that has been debated about ad nausem as well.  Considering all those weaknesses its a wonder we have won 21 games and are 8-3 in conference.   ::)  

I appreciate those stats.

But what if I threw these out to you:

Nebraska - 32 pts, 7 ast, 3 reb, 1 TO in a win
Wisconsin - 25 pts, 5 ast, 2 reb, 2 TO in a win
DePaul - 15 pts, 9 ast, 4 reb, 4 TO in a loss
Air Force - 34 pts, 5 ast, 4 reb, 3 TO in a win

Those were Diener's number in a season when he had a shooter (Novak) as well as Mason, and MU struggled. No way was that team as "talented" but Diener's numbers holds up to DJ's. He's a better shooter, decision-maker, and gets his teammates involved. Yes, these was during Diener's junior year. I won't use his sophomore stats because of Wade.

Was Diener a first round pick? Nope. So I don't think DJ is just based solely on his athletic ability. His inability to hit the outside shot HURTS his draft chances especially since he's undersized (Diener "towers" over him by 2"). Yeah, I've heard of Muggsy, but that's the best chance scenario for DJ in the NBA unless he develops a consistent jay.

You can't compare DJ to Diener.  The NBA draft is all about potential and ceilings.  Diener had a low ceiling and what you see was basically what you were going to get.  DJ has shown flashes of being a very good player and has a very high ceiling, he just isn't consistent at this point in time and might never be but NBA teams will take that chance. 

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »
I think the majority of us here believe that DJ would be better served to stay in school for another year although some question if MU would be better served if DJ stayed(still don't get that).  however there are a lot of factors involved in that decision with money playing a huge role.  The 30th player drafted in the 2005-2006 draft was guaranteed a first year salary of $717.8k and a second year of $771.7k with a club option of a third year $825.5k.  Up until now, DJ has been projected by NBA scouts as a first round pick so it really doesn't matter if we think DJ is ready or not.  Its the NBA scouts.  The NBA draft is all about potential and DJ has shown enough potential to be projected as a first round pick.

Really good post.  It's a real tough call for DJ to try and guess whether or not a year more at MU will be financially worthwhile, because he's probably passing up one year of unrestricted NBA income (assuming he doesn't crap out within his first 3).  I think that would be too much for most people not already making something north of six figures to pass up. 

I think it's pretty useless to prognosticate about it now, because MU hasn't even finished BE play yet, and the scout's perceptions can get swayed by a run in the big dance.  *cough* Channing Frye *cough*.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 08:13:23 PM »
All this talk about DJ--really the player that has disappointed me the most has been Wes!  He has not shown up for a big game YET.  I know he was sick for the GTown game, but tonight, not so great either.  When is he going to come through in a game where we NEED him??

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 08:57:54 PM »
James definitely needs to work on his shooting but some of those passes in traffic are incredible.

zener_diode

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 09:56:41 PM »
At this point, I hope he does leave.  Addition by subtraction.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 09:59:55 PM »
I really wish there was a way to get these DBAGS that are huge fairweather fans and don't know jack crap about the team banned from posting!! for the love of God, do you people even realize what is coming out of your mouths!?!?!?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 10:02:49 PM »

uh, no. sorry.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 10:06:26 PM »

Gotta disagree, I can't see an MU starting five with Cube being better than one with DJ.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 10:09:35 PM »
I think he would make a huge mistake by leaving, but I think he's already made up his mind.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »
what about our transfer from ball state?
he's a true pg, from all indications.

don't get me wrong... I'm a HUGE DJ fan.
but he plays better when he's the PG!  and the other things come to him... D thinks he's gonna pass, and he's got a good look.

go back way early in the season.. I was concerned about other guys running the O while DJ played off guard.
we did not play well then either.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »
you are referring to Reese Acker...

he played hs ball w/ Jerel and he is a very solid true point guard. If we had one more scholarship open that year, he would have been the one to fill it. His shooting has been marginal, but he has been working on it and has improved quite a bit from what I have heard. all in all, a solid true PG

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 02:10:53 AM »

uh, no. sorry.

Uh yes. We need someone who can set up the shot and take the shot...and hit it.

It seems to me that when DJ touches the ball, everyone stands around. Why? They know they're not going to get it anymore.
SS Marquette