Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Illinois fans  (Read 8143 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Illinois fans
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:14:33 AM »
rush the court after team beats Michigan State. Pathetic. Just pathetic.

I know this topic was recently discussed, but it just amazes me. They won a GAME!, not a championship!

Coleman

• All American
Re: Illinois fans
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
Par for the course in the Big 10. I think Indiana and Wisc have each rushed the court the season. Doesn't make sense.

Somewhat related however...this win isn't good for us. I of U is a bubble team from a major conference and a team we will be directly compared to come selection Sunday.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:51:34 AM »
It was an upset...a pretty good one too.  Give 'em a break. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »
It's drunk kids having fun.  The only risk is that a player (or a kid for that matter) would get hurt.  But I think knowing when to and not to rush the court will never sink into 20 year old drunk kids.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »
It was an upset...a pretty good one too.  Give 'em a break. 

Hardly.  I would put money on MSU beating Illinois 95/100 times if Lucas is in the game.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:58:32 AM »
Pathetic.  Just pathetic. 

connie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:00:25 AM »
You knock off a team that is number one for a few weeks and you are in UI's position, ok.  You knock off a number 5 that just lost 4 days earlier and is without their stud player?  I agree, pathetic.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Somewhat related however...this win isn't good for us. I of U is a bubble team from a major conference and a team we will be directly compared to come selection Sunday.

Agree, but (and maybe I'm being a homer here), doesn't a home win over Georgetown compare pretty nicely with a home win over MSU without their best player?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »
Frankly, I don't think it was nearly as pathetic as Wisconsin fans rushing the court after beating Duke. And I am not a Badger basher.

Indiana fans rushed the court after beating Minnesota, which is the most pathetic court rush I've ever witnessed...although they're almost all lame.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »
Two words: College Gameday.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »
dickie v was pissed...

But, the kids were pumped up. Number 5 team, college game day, erin andrews, drinking since morning.  I agree, let them have some fun.  Mcamey played lights out running the show.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

savwa

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Dukie V is a stroke so I could care less what that clown ever has to say about anything.

I agree, the College Gameday crew being there, kids have been drinking all day and are excited about that and then get the W on a big stage.  All you need is a couple kids to start it and then the rest will follow.

I want to see U of I as a contender again because the Big Ten needs them to be good.  Weber plays an exciting style of basketball as opposed to the rest of the Big Ten who can go 5-10min without a basket. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:57:53 AM »
This just in: 18-22 year olds really like to have fun.  Like drinking, acting like fools, singing, dancing, and yes, rushing the court.

It kills me every time I see a thread with curmudgeons frowning about a "bad" court rushing. -- Didn't the movie Footloose teach you ANYTHING, Reverend Shaw???

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RdSWXRZu7OM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RdSWXRZu7OM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1</a>
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:02:15 AM by mu_hilltopper »

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
Hardly.  I would put money on MSU beating Illinois 95/100 times if Lucas is in the game.

Probably, but MSU is still a highly ranked team and Illinois is out of the top 25.  They beat MSU, thought it was awesome, and rushed the court to celebrate.  I'd hardly call it pathetic.   

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »
This is a MSU team who already lost this week, and already lost in conference. This was an Illinois team that was 7-3 in conference before the game (15-8 overall). So not a fabulous Illinois team, but a pretty good team. I realize that playing in the big televen you only get so many chances to play a ranked opponent (especially at home) but c'mon, act like you've been there before. I'm not taking away from the win, b/c it was a big win for illinois, not one to warrant a court rushing though.

I'm kind of glad the BC doesn't let people rush the court, just to avoid these kind of embarrassing court rushings. Although, if MU were to lock up the BE at home some year, they better let the students rush.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
I distinctly remember MU fans rushing the court in the 2001-2 season after we knocked off #8 Cinci. 

In retrospect, I suppose that actually was kinda pathetic.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »
Isn't it pathetic how everytime someone hits a 3 in the Big Ten, the fans start cheering. Or if there is a bad foul they start booing the refs. I'm so glad I go to marquette where the students wear suits and respect the game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »
Kids will be kids....nothing more.  Let them have fun.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »
I am not sure about this no storming at the BC. i rushed the court twice in the 4 yrs i was at mu(both after wins over cinci).  Once in 98-99 and again 01-02(the american flag storming).  I just dont get the outrage here..  Regardless of lucas being out, or the preceived strength of illinois.  It is still a statement win for a team that has struggled to beat the likes of penn state.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

romey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
I'm an "old guy" and i have no problem with kids rushing the court.  I was a student when Doc rivers hit the game winner to beat ND and I honestly don't remember if the students rushed the court (I know I didn't because it was the old Milwaukee Arena and I was in the "nosebleed" seats).  It certainly would have been appropriate though.

BUT, 18-22 year old kids pumped up at a basketball game, having fun are wont to do emotionally based things.  Gees, give 'em a break.  What are they supposed to do at the buzzer?  Look around and think, should we go with our emotions here?  Are we allowed to celebrate?  Is it acceptable to rush the court?  Where's the rule book on the proper etiquite(sp?) here?  Who really cares?  And the fact that the media and the "crumudgeon" fans judge whether it's acceptable or pathetic is kind of funny in my book.

Let them have fun and stop judging them.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
Probably, but MSU is still a highly ranked team and Illinois is out of the top 25.  They beat MSU, thought it was awesome, and rushed the court to celebrate.  I'd hardly call it pathetic.   

It is totally pathetic.  It was the Number 1 vs. Number 3 in the Big Ten.  It would be like Pitt or Louisville rushing the court for beating Villanova or Syracuse. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
I would have stormed the court if I was an Illinois student.  I guess drunk and pathetic is no way to go through life.
"We have the blues on the run!"

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »
dickie v was pissed...

and he is a f'ing doucher.  I hate that poser.  Isn't he the same jack ass that danced on half court at the MECCA after his Detroit Mercy squad beat MU?  He's a freaking coach and he danced after a victory.  The guy is a blow hard and an ass kisser.  I hate him and he sucks as an announcer.

I say drunk kids can storm a court/field whenever they choose.  Who gives a rats ass?  I was in Boulder this year when the students stormed the field after they beat Texas A&M.  No harm no foul.  Dickie V can suck it!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
OP also hates when college students do this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqs5j8nNcw
pathetic

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
It was definitly an unecessary rushing of the court but it warranted being done much more than Indiana rushing the court after beating the gophers. That was just down right ridiculous.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback