Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Plain out coached  (Read 3182 times)

marquetteff03

• Starter
Plain out coached
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »
We did nothing in the second half, no offense.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: Plain out coached
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
 we were outplayed no heart
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
we were outplayed no heart

Now this team has no heart??  Please...DePaul absolutely brought it tonite...played their asses off and hit 2 fluke shots at the end..and once again we can't hit free throws.  Nothing to do with being outcoached.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:35 PM »
Now this team has no heart??  Please...DePaul absolutely brought it tonite...played their asses off and hit 2 fluke shots at the end..and once again we can't hit free throws.  Nothing to do with being outcoached.

At the end??? I was watching kids throwing up fade away 15 footers, drifting and fading 19 footers, and extremely flat runners in the lane ALL GAME LONG.  Crap happens.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
My thought is we looked lost as soon as they threw the match up zone after half with the 6-9 guy on our guards. It too 5 minutes to get a prayer shot, we did nothing.

Yes free throws are a joke, but seems like we let them into the game, or better yet put the brakes on ourself.

18 pts? Lazar got few touches and put up a donut in the 2nd half.

Depaul made some adjustments and we didn't.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Tempers are blazing now, understably so.

Buzz drew up Lazar to get fouled on the inbounds on purpose. Zar, previously 5-5, missed.

Then Coobs. Missed.

Usually Jimmy is hitting the boards, but give credit to the Demons for doing something other teams have failed to do this season against MU: use their size and seal the interior thereby denying rebounds and second chance scoring opportunities.

What befuddles me is how Zar wasn't able to get the ball in the second half. I bet Buzz is going to comment on this game with references to the lack of ball touches to Zar...and how that will be a telling stat for the rest of the season.

Zar must get the ball...he's the cog of the team. He attracts the attention, knows how to get the foul, and is veteran enough to make something happen.

(Unfortunately, he missed on the line.)
SS Marquette

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
As p!ssed as I am, Buzz has done a good job adjusting in the second half of games.

That said, Acker can NOT play D and him and Cubes on the floor at the same time is....well, I think I'm preaching to the choir. There aren't a ton of options, but that option isn't good.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »
In the last 1-2 minutes, they made shots they shouldn't have, and we missed shots we shouldn't have.  Our defense was there.  Our offense was fair to weak.  Our free throws were horrible.  Coaching wasn't the issue.

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
I am a fan of Buzz, but what he has done is make us competitive. What he hasn't done is gotten us over the preverbial hump. 1-5 records in 1-2 pt games is not acceptable.

Now can we improve? Are we short handed? Sure, but it is still incredibly frustrating, lots of questions at this point.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
This team has heart, but no balls.  It's the players' fault for choking again and for not a single one of them being able to put the game in their hands and win it.  But even with all the missed free throws and fluke shots, sorry, but there is no way it's all the players' fault when you score 50 points against a terrible team.  The offense looking absolutely embarassing for all 40 minutes doesn't excuse the coaches even if we make the free throws and pull the game out.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
I disagree, SoCal.

Webster got MU to play a slow-down game, that is the biggest concern for Buzz was he could not dictate our tempo.

Buzz couldn't coach is players out of the double team.

Buzz clearly told the team to stop shooting the three ball after early struggles, another mistake.

Buzz couldn't motivate the team to play at DePaul's level.

Webster had his team better prepared, dictated the game, made better adjustments and the only reason we led for 99 percent of the game is because our talent is that much better.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
I disagree, SoCal.

Webster got MU to play a slow-down game, that is the biggest concern for Buzz was he could not dictate our tempo.

Buzz couldn't coach is players out of the double team.

Buzz clearly told the team to stop shooting the three ball after early struggles, another mistake.

Buzz couldn't motivate the team to play at DePaul's level.

Webster had his team better prepared, dictated the game, made better adjustments and the only reason we led for 99 percent of the game is because our talent is that much better.

I love how you discredit Buzz by saying that the players are the only reason why we were leading.  Sorry guys, I don't care who you are playing, if you are winning by two possessions with under 40 seconds to play, that is winning basketball.  In West Virginia and DePaul, Hayward, Butler, DJO, and Cubes missed the front end of the one and one with under minute left to play (and I think DJO missed another front end in the Villanova game).  If our players are really talented, someone should make the front end of the one and one ONCE with a minute left.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »

Bull.

Slowing it down is how MU beat Georgetown and nearly won against Nova and WVU.  They used every second of the shot clock rather than shooting early, and forced the other team to take a lot of time as well.  The slower pace probably favors this team, as it burns more time off the clock and gives the opponent fewer opportunities to score.  The difference is, we didn't shoot well today like we did in the other games played at this pace, especially from beyond the arc.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 10:48:38 PM »
MU played a disinterested game. They let DePaul hang around and gain confidence. For the first time in a long, long time, DePaul's players felt like they could win. When it got late and remained close, they had the "killer instinct" that MU has been missing all season - they saw an chance to beat a superior team and they pounced on it. Yes, they threw in a couple "lucky" shots in the last few seconds and had some bad possessions, but they just flat-out wanted it more. If DePaul put forth that same effort and had similar to talent to MU, they would have won by 20.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
I love how you discredit Buzz by saying that the players are the only reason why we were leading.  Sorry guys, I don't care who you are playing, if you are winning by two possessions with under 40 seconds to play, that is winning basketball.  In West Virginia and DePaul, Hayward, Butler, DJO, and Cubes missed the front end of the one and one with under minute left to play (and I think DJO missed another front end in the Villanova game).  If our players are really talented, someone should make the front end of the one and one ONCE with a minute left.

It isn't winning basketball unless, you win.

I said our talent level kept us in the game, not discrediting Buzz there. DePaul had a better gameplan, and if we didn't have the talent that we have it would have been worse.

I just don't think this game should be chalked up to missed free throws, as it shouldn't have even been that close.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
I am a fan of Buzz, but what he has done is make us competitive. What he hasn't done is gotten us over the preverbial hump. 1-5 records in 1-2 pt games is not acceptable.

Now can we improve? Are we short handed? Sure, but it is still incredibly frustrating, lots of questions at this point.

good stats.  i was looking them up too for the past couple seasons.
what's more disheartening is how many of those games they've had leads in the final min to only lose (or have large leads to only lose them and lose a la NC St/FL St).

i remember saying something last season about how he can keep losing games in the final seconds.  Buzz would be perfected suited to be the 1st assistant on this team.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
It isn't winning basketball unless, you win.

I said our talent level kept us in the game, not discrediting Buzz there. DePaul had a better gameplan, and if we didn't have the talent that we have it would have been worse.

I just don't think this game should be chalked up to missed free throws, as it shouldn't have even been that close.

You're the guy that shoots an airball to a teammate that results in a layup and claim that it was a pass.  Sorry guy, from a coaching perspective, its about putting your team in the best position to win.  REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU PLAY, if your gameplan put your team in the lead by two possessions with less than 40 seconds on the clock, your team has good chance of winning... AT LEAST A LOT BETTER THAN THE OTHER TEAM.  I'll take a two possession lead with 40 seconds left ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  Even after all this garbage.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »
In the words of Comic Book store guy, worst.game.ever.

The only good part of the night was watching the Rosemont cops tackle DePaul students trying to rush the court. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 11:02:28 PM »
You're the guy that shoots an airball to a teammate that results in a layup and claim that it was a pass.  Sorry guy, from a coaching perspective, its about putting your team in the best position to win.  REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU PLAY, if your gameplan put your team in the lead by two possessions with less than 40 seconds on the clock, your team has good chance of winning... AT LEAST A LOT BETTER THAN THE OTHER TEAM.  I'll take a two possession lead with 40 seconds left ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  Even after all this garbage.

If you're happy with a two possession lead with 40 ticks left against that DePaul team, then fine. Take your caps lock key (or continuous holding of the shift key) and be happy.

I'm not. I don't think Buzz coached a good game and Webster did.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:23 PM »
It didn't come down to gameplans or adjustments or FTs. MU lost because they didn't have Mbao. His size and wingspan would have prevented at least 8-10 points for DePaul and he would have been able to knock down the clutch FTs as well.

Wait, what? Oh, sorry. I thought we were just supposed to be making posts containing outlandish, irrational, overreactions. My bad.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:36 PM »
The team did not hit their shots all game.  Lazar did not score in the second half.   DJO had 7.  Lousy game by all ON the team.  Buzz did not take a single shot.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 12:04:59 AM »
I'm convinced that the entire team (including the coaching staff) forgot that we had a game tonight until about 5pm. That is the only explanation I cam come up with for a game like that.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »
Buzz wasn't out coached.  The team was out played.  By a lesser rival.  Shouldn't happen but it did.

feedback