Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Maymon

Wish him luck
69 (47.9%)
Wish his future turns out like ODB, and later regret leaving MU.
75 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Maymon to UT  (Read 15560 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Maymon to UT
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
I also blame this on his father .. but if, say, JMay succeeds wildly at UT -- especially that first season -- then TMay will have made the exact right move for his son, and will be vindicated.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
I voted to wish him well because I blame this on his father, not on the kid.

Absolutely correct.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
I can't believe this board is tied in this poll.  Really you want this kid to fail?  Really?  Did him leaving the MU team the way he did affect you so negatively you wish this kid ill will in his life?

Kinda sad 'Scoopers.

ODB didn't really fail... unless the poll has changed.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
I can't believe this board is tied in this poll.  Really you want this kid to fail?  Really?  Did him leaving the MU team the way he did affect you so negatively you wish this kid ill will in his life?

Kinda sad 'Scoopers.
There's not really a negative "I hope he fails" option.  ODB didn't fail.  He did well at UNLV. he's playing professionally in France.  He just regretted his decision to leave Marquette.

There's a big difference between hoping JM's career is similar to ODB's and wishing him ill will.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »
Indeed .. the "Wish him Luck" option is really "Wish that his wishes are fulfilled .. he has a great college career followed by the NBA dreams of his father."

The ODB option is the "no ill-will, yet I don't want to see him .. highly achieve for a different team then go to the NBA"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »
If anyone is naive enought to believe Maymon is paying his own freight this semester, you just don't understand bigtime college athletics.
UT didn't have a scholarship available, so Jeronne will receive enough "need-based financial aid" to cover this semester's tuition, room and board, and books. He will get a basketball scholarship at semester's end.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 07:12:19 PM »
That was my vote that put "Wish him luck" over the top! (temporarily)  Maybe every vote DOES count!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
If anyone is naive enought to believe Maymon is paying his own freight this semester, you just don't understand bigtime college athletics.
UT didn't have a scholarship available, so Jeronne will receive enough "need-based financial aid" to cover this semester's tuition, room and board, and books. He will get a basketball scholarship at semester's end.

Not naive, but it can be against NCAA rules.  But I'm sure UT has it down pat.  :D

He will have to file a FAFSA form to see if he can get some $$

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »
Of course he'll have to file a FAFSA form. Obviously, a family's financial affairs is their own business, but inquisitive minds could speculate that the Maymons may qualify for 100% need to attend UT. Therefore, the university's financial aid office would extend an offer to cover the need as they would for any other non-athlete they admit.
The Ivies don't have athletic scholarships. But, as you may know grants-in-aid are frequently a component of an athlete's financial aid package, even if need has not been demonstrated.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
Of course he'll have to file a FAFSA form. Obviously, a family's financial affairs is their own business, but inquisitive minds could speculate that the Maymons may qualify for 100% need to attend UT. Therefore, the university's financial aid office would extend an offer to cover the need as they would for any other non-athlete they admit.
The Ivies don't have athletic scholarships. But, as you may know grants-in-aid are frequently a component of an athlete's financial aid package, even if need has not been demonstrated.

That is correct....in fact I have a young man working for me now that is a Penn graduate and was a student athlete.  Another that is a Yale graduate that competed in fencing.

But, where it gets tricky is offering some kind of aid to student athletes to work around scholarships.  It's mostly an issue with football but can crop up in hoops as well.  Basically the NCAA wants to avoid a school having 12 scholarship players and then 3 guys as walk ons with 100% financial aid when they should be on a full scholarship at another institution.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Damn smart office you got there, JD.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

groove

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »

and as many handguns as he wants

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »

I couldn't agree with you more, especially with Bruce Pearl. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 06:47:01 PM »

Hire smarter people than yourself I always say.

;)

By the way, is it true JM is a walkon and not on scholarship?  Did I read that correctly?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, especially with Bruce Pearl. 

Marquette would do the same thing.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
Hire smarter people than yourself I always say.

;)

By the way, is it true JM is a walkon and not on scholarship?  Did I read that correctly?

yes, but he will go to school for free.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
How can he go to school for free? Did he get an academic scholarship?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »

financial aid etc... I think it was hinted at in another thread.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
Timmay: here is a shortcut to the bursar's office for your walk-on, i mean future NBA great:
Main Office:
(excess financial aid distribution, mail payments)
211 Student Services Bldg.
Knoxville, TN 37996-0225
Phone: (865)974-4495
Fax: (865)974-1945
Email: Student Fees
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »

Tim could always go back to his old sales job to pay for his son's schooling

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »
Tim could always go back to his old sales job to pay for his son's schooling

Tim is busy right now.  He is jumping around like a crazed animal by the Tenn bench - no kidding.  J-May is on the bench.  Tenn is losing to Ole Miss at home... they must not be playing the right way. 

Watching the game, I saw some dude in the first row by Tenn's bench, jumping around like his pants were on fire in and for a split second thought, 'wtf is going on with that guy?!'... then it hit me.. there's Timmay!... and normal behavior, for him.  For J-May's sake, I hope pops stays out of his business (and out of Pearl's face). 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
 Tim is busy right now.  He is jumping around like a crazed animal by the Tenn bench - no kidding.  J-May is on the bench.  Tenn is losing to Ole Miss at home... they must not be playing the right way.  

Watching the game, I saw some dude in the first row by Tenn's bench, jumping around like his pants were on fire in and for a split second thought, 'wtf is going on with that guy?!'... then it hit me.. there's Timmay!... and normal behavior, for him.  For J-May's sake, I hope pops stays out of his business (and out of Pearl's face).  

bluish gray tshirt?

nevermind, that is definitely him.

wow... just wow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:02:14 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
bluish gray tshirt?

Yep. He is jumping and throwing his fists pretty much nonstop
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »

But Chico, you see, is working for a Wisconsin grad. There is a pecking order in life and the view from Madison is mighty fine. Mighty fine, indeed.

feedback