collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: USA World Cup Bid Cities announced.... Chicago not one of them???  (Read 6633 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
http://www.gousabid.com/blog/entry/18-cities-included-in-the-us-bid-for-the-fifa-world-cup-in-2018-2022?utm_source=nonsigners&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20100112

What a joke. Indianapolis and Kansas City over Chicago?? Forget that it's in my best interest to have some games there, Chicago opened the cup in 94. Now it's not good enough to host 1 game? Ridiculous.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: USA World Cup Bid Cities announced.... Chicago not one of them???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
nashville got one as well.  I dont know if they had one last time.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Can someone post the cities, the link is coming up on my phone.

Thanks!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »
Can someone post the cities, the link is coming up on my phone.

Thanks!

NEW YORK — Chicago's World Cup bid met the same fate as its try for the Olympics when the Windy City was dropped Tuesday from U.S. plans for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

Americans organizers selected 21 stadiums in 18 metropolitan areas to submit in their bid book to FIFA by May 14.
Also left off was San Francisco, but organizers said the Bay Area could return to contention if the 49ers get a new stadium in Santa Clara. Others not making the cut included Cleveland; Detroit; Jacksonville, Fla.; and St. Louis.

Chicago, beaten by Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics in October, has virtually no chance of getting back in consideration. That was a major surprise, given that Soldier Field hosted the 1994 World Cup opener.

"I think there's a little Olympic fatigue. I think the Park District had a tough time wrestling with FIFA requirements in short order after the IOC decision," U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said.

Gulati also cited the 61,000 capacity of renovated Soldier Field for World Cup soccer.

"It would have been by about 10 per cent the smallest stadium," Gulati said.

Stanford Stadium south of San Francisco, also a 1994 World Cup site, and the Oakland-Alameda Country Coliseum had been among 32 stadiums in contention before 11 were trimmed Tuesday. Among other 1994 World Cup sites dropped were Washington's RFK Stadium and the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla.

Eighteen metropolitan areas and 21 stadiums survived the cut and will be part of the bid when FIFA's executive committee votes on Dec. 2 in Zurich.

The cities are Atlanta; Baltimore; Boston (Foxboro, Mass.); Dallas (Dallas-Arlington, Texas); Denver; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Los Angeles (Los Angeles-Pasadena, Calif.); Miami; Nashville, Tenn.; New York (East Rutherford, N.J.); Philadelphia; Phoenix (Glendale, Ariz.); San Diego; Seattle; Tampa, Fla.; and Washington, D.C. (Landover, Md.)

"We're not building any new stadiums," Gulati said, adding the bid was being made "without the need for public funds on any structure or stadiums."

Gulati said the 18 stadiums would create an average capacity of 78,000 and allow the sale of a record five million tickets. The 1994 tournament in the U.S. set World Cup records with 3.59 million total attendance for 52 matches and an average of 68,991.

FIFA's rules call for nine to 12 stadiums to be picked. David Downs, U.S. bid executive director, said he hoped the governing body could be persuaded to expand the final list to 14. Only the stadiums in the Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and Washington areas are large enough to host either the opener or the final.

Santa Clara and the proposed NFL stadium in Industry, Calif., could become contenders if construction starts by 2013 or 2016, depending on which World Cup the U.S. might get awarded.

David Alioto, the San Jose Earthquakes executive vice-president of business operations, called the decision "very premature."

"The Bay Area has two antiquated stadiums, in San Francisco and Oakland," he said. "It says there are some new facilities needed on the West Coast."

England, Netherlands-Belgium, Russia, Spain-Portugal, Australia and Japan also are bidding to host both World Cups. Indonesia, Qatar and South Korea are bidding for 2022 only.

England is viewed as the favourite for 2018 and the U.S. is seen as the leading contender for 2022.

While Chicago was eliminated on the first round of the IOC vote, the USSF has developed close ties with many of the leaders of FIFA and its executive committee.

"I think some of the natural alliances that we saw happen, especially in the last IOC decision, in this case favour us," Gulati said.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:41:27 PM by SoCalwarrior »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:04:20 AM »
Probably afraid that things would be conducted the "Chicago"way by the town organizers.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Indy is a good city to host a World Cup game
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:19:30 AM »
Lucas Oil Satdium
Experience in hosting large Events: Indy500, Brickyard400, US Grand Prix, Final Fours,

Downtown is much better set up to host this than Chicago is:

More than 200 restaurants are within walking distance of Lucas Oil, as well as the airport being less than 15 minutes away.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
Lucas Oil Satdium
Experience in hosting large Events: Indy500, Brickyard400, US Grand Prix, Final Fours,

More than 200 restaurants are within walking distance of Lucas Oil, as well as the airport being less than 15 minutes away.

Indianapolis is terrible.  Almost as horrible as STL.

You are the first person I've ever heard say anything nice about Indianapolis.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
Lucas Oil Stadium

Turf anyone. Might as well have it be an indoor soccer world cup
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
  Turf anyone. Might as well have it be an indoor soccer world cup

Maybe it will stop the players from taking dives and faking injuries

I am sure the roof would be open, and this turf is very close to grass.

If Indy is good enough to host a SuperBowl, someone must like it.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:56 AM »
Maybe it will stop the players from taking dives and faking injuries

I am sure the roof would be open, and this turf is very close to grass.

If Indy is good enough to host a SuperBowl, someone must like it.
Pretty sure if Seattle installed real grass to have Chelsea play an exhibition game there is no way that the premiere soccer tournament in the world will be played on Field Turf.

LON

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »

It's better than Gary...

Now I'm the 2nd.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
I think discussing turf vs. grass for an event 12 years from now is a bit premature.  I imagine the 2022 version of field turf will much different than it is now.

PaintTouches

• All American
Re: Indy is a good city to host a World Cup game
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
Lucas Oil Satdium

For real? You really think Indy is set up better for a global event than the city most thought should have been awarded the olympics. I buy the political aspects but no chance in hell Indy is "better set up" than Chi.

And about that airport you speak of, this is an international tournament. Where do more international flights come to Chicago or Indy? If I was flying from Europe you probably have to land at NY or Chicago then transfer to get to Indy anyways.

Look, Indianapolis is a fine city, but it is not at the same level internationally as Chicago. That is all I'm trying to say. 

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
For real? You really think Indy is set up better for a global event
For a one venue event (like the Big Ten tournament, Super Bowl), yes, I do.  For multiple venues (like the Olympics) Chicago would be.

than the city most thought should have been awarded the olympics see above. I buy the political aspects but no chance in hell Indy is "better set up" than Chi the NCAA and NFL would disagree with you

And about that airport you speak of, this is an international tournament. Where do more international flights come to Chicago or Indy? If I was flying from Europe you probably have to land at NY or Chicago then transfer to get to Indy anyways.

Look, Indianapolis is a fine city, but it is not at the same level internationally as Chicago. That is all I'm trying to say.  in terms of logistics for an international event, I guess we'll agree to disagree. But in terms of walking to your hotel, restaurants, not to mention crime, traffic I'll take the side of the people who decided which cities would be included

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
For real? You really think Indy is set up better for a global event than the city most thought should have been awarded the olympics. I buy the political aspects but no chance in hell Indy is "better set up" than Chi.

LOL.  "Most thought"....not exactly.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »

Have you ever been to Indy for an event?  It has a great setup.  Walk everywhere...hotels...restaurants

You must be a Chicago bigot.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Once again we are talking about an international event. I never disagreed that Indy could be a good host for an NFL or NCAA game. All I'm saying is that I'm from Mexico and there are exactly 0 flights from my home city of Guadalajara to Indy. It will be the same from Brazil, Argentina, England, France... and so on. From a logistics standpoint, it makes more sense to have a host city be accessible to the world for a world cup game.

The only reason Indy and KC seem to have edged out Chicago is stadium size. USSF never said anything about them being better accommodated to host. They just can sell more tickets. That is the problem I have.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
If it was based solely on stadium size...Indy would have been cut
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
Cleveland, Charlotte, and St Louis have larger stadiums

Atlanta - Georgia Dome 71,250
Baltimore - M & T Bank Stadium 71,008
Boston - Gillette Stadium 71,693
Charlotte - Bank of America Stadium 73,778
Chicago - Soldier Field 61,000
Cleveland - Cleveland Browns Stadium 72,000
Dallas - Cotton Bowl 89,000
Dallas - Cowboys Stadium 100,000
Denver - INVESCO Field 76,125
Detroit - Ford Field 67,188
Detroit - Michigan Stadium 108,000
Houston - Reliant Stadium 71,500
Indianapolis - Lucas Oil Stadium 64,200
Jacksonville - Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 82,000
Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium 77,000
Los Angeles - Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum 93,607
Los Angeles - Rose Bowl 92,000+
Miami - Dolphin Stadium 75,540
Nashville - LP Field 69,143
New York/N.J. New - Meadowlands Stadium 82,000
Oakland - Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum 63,026
Orlando - Florida Citrus Bowl 65,616
Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field 67,594
Phoenix/Glendale - University of Phoenix Stadium 71,000
San Diego - Qualcomm Stadium 70,500
San Francisco - Stanford Stadium 50,500
Seattle - Qwest Field 67,000
Seattle - Husky Stadium 72,500
St. Louis - Edward Jones Dome 67,268
Tampa - Raymond James Stadium 65,856
Washington, D.C. - RFK Stadium 45,600
Washington, D.C. - FedExField 91,704

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Atlanta — Georgia Dome (70,868)
Baltimore – M&T Bank Stadium (71,008)
Boston – Gillette Stadium (73,393)
Dallas – Cowboys Stadium (91,600) and the Cotton Bowl (89,000)
Denver – Invesco Field (75,165)
Houston – Reliant Stadium (76,000)
Indianapolis – Lucas Oil Stadium (66,500)
Kansas City — Arrowhead Stadium (75,364)
Los Angeles — Rose Bowl (89,109) and Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (93,607)
Miami – Dolphin Stadium (80,240)
Nashville – LP Field (75,000)
New Jersey — New Meadowlands Stadium (84,046)
Philadelphia – Lincoln Financial Field (69,111)
Phoenix – University of Phoenix Stadium (71,362)
San Diego — Qualcomm Stadium (67,700)
Seattle – Qwest Field (68,056) and Husky Stadium (72,500)
Tampa – Raymond James Stadium (75,000)
Washington – FedEx Field (86,690)

“With Chicago, I think there was some Olympic fatigue,” Gulati said, referring to that city’s unsuccessful bid to host the Summer Games in 2016. “And in this group, Soldier Field was one of the smallest stadiums.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
Once again we are talking about an international event. I never disagreed that Indy could be a good host for an NFL or NCAA game. All I'm saying is that I'm from Mexico and there are exactly 0 flights from my home city of Guadalajara to Indy. It will be the same from Brazil, Argentina, England, France... and so on. From a logistics standpoint, it makes more sense to have a host city be accessible to the world for a world cup game.

The only reason Indy and KC seem to have edged out Chicago is stadium size. USSF never said anything about them being better accommodated to host. They just can sell more tickets. That is the problem I have.

So you'll have to transfer flights?  Just like everyone who comes to the states?  Did you expect that that every game was at a major international hub?

I just don't understand the logic here.  Not every game can be in NYC, LA, or Chicago.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
So you'll have to transfer flights?  Just like everyone who comes to the states?  Did you expect that that every game was at a major international hub?

I just don't understand the logic here.  Not every game can be in NYC, LA, or Chicago.

Not every game, just a majority of them.

I guess you guys are right, I was just selfish in wanting some games in the Chi. O well, there's always 2056 right?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
  I don't doubt that Indianapolis has a good setup considering it is a younger city, older cities are not as well planned. It is a surprise that Chicago was not on the list obviously money is more important.

Logistics doesnt have much to do with it since I was looking to go to South Africa for the World Cup and those stadiums are nowhere near each other and I am unsure on the flight possibilities to each city but it is a large country.

I would assume that Indy will be the Midwest site due to its proximity to Chicago.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

Indy is setup for an international event.  They held the Pan Am games, everything is right downtown, etc, etc. 

Maybe they were worried about all the violence in Chicago of late, been pretty bad and has not given the city a very good image builder.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
Indy is setup for an international event.  They held the Pan Am games, everything is right downtown, etc, etc. 

Maybe they were worried about all the violence in Chicago of late, been pretty bad and has not given the city a very good image builder.

Yeah...that's why they're holding games at the LA Coliseum instead.   ::)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »
As a resident of the greater Chicago area... I thank God every day that the Olympics went to Rio and that the World Cup will be somewhere else.

However, it's not surprising.  FIFA, I presume, is a business.  The World Cup is a business.  And no matter where you locate the games, you will have crowds that will follow.  So the issue over which city(ies) isn't so much "who is the biggest" or "who is most centrally located" as it is "who is the cheapest" or "who is the best partner."

Chicago fails miserably at both cost and cooperation.  The IOC saw it.  The major conventions who have left Chicago saw it.  Now FIFA sees it.  The only people who don't see it are the politicians, patrons, and ignorant citizens of this city (and state) who keep electing the same corrupt leaders.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:13:24 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.