collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Michigan’s Beilein signs contract extension  (Read 1217 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Michigan’s Beilein signs contract extension
« on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
This struck me as off news, considering how this season is going for them.  By these standards, we should lock Buzz up for life, sign him to a $150 million 20 year contract or something :)

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP)—Michigan basketball coach John Beilein has agreed to a contract extension to lead the Wolverines through the 2015-16 season.

The extension was announced by the university Monday.

Beilein’s total compensation under the new contract will be $1.7 million in 2010-11. It rises to $1.8 million in 2012-13 and $1.9 million by the 2013-14 season.

Beilein is in his third season with the Wolverines. He has a 39-43 overall mark with Michigan, including a 8-7 record this season.

Michigan made the NCAA tournament last season for the first time since 1998.

Beilein had steady success before arriving at Michigan, including stints at West Virginia and Richmond.

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
Re: Michigan’s Beilein signs contract extension
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
I think UM really likes Beilein's style.  During his short tenure here, he's come across as an under-the-radar, steady type, as opposed to RichRod, the volatile and controversial football coach.  I continue to be amazed that these personality polar opposites both came to Michigan from West Virginia.

Further evidence that he is respected: Beilein was part of the team responsible for selecting UM's new AD. (Rodriguez was not.)  I think the fact that they would move to extend him, knowing a new AD would soon assume the helm, is a solid endorsement.

Despite his overall W-L record at Michigan, the return to the NCAAs last year was a key mark of progress.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Marquette beat the Wolverines in Orlando this season.

Keelsmeals

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »
From a performance perspective, I can see how it seems off since the UM team is "underperforming" this year. However, they've had quite a bit of roster turnover, the team is really young, they lost their big man for the year and possibly his entire career, etc. Talent-wise, Beilein inherited then-recruit, now-junior Manny Harris (btw, his sister plays bball for Marquette) and then-freshman, now-senior DeShawn Simms from the previous coach and that's about it. In that way, I think Beilein has a longer leash and the administration is willing to be patient.

From a broader perspective, the basketball facilities at UM are horrible. They're finally building a much-needed practice facility to open in 2011 and plan to renovate Crisler Arena as well. It's assumed that these were promised to Beilein when they were courting him, but those projects have been delayed at least twice. In this respect, Beilein has been very patient with the administration.

And of course, UM football is currently being investigated by the NCAA and Rich Rodriguez has been controversial to say the least. Beilein has been the opposite - he's brought in good students and is generally well-liked and respected by the administration and the boosters. When all these factors are considered, the contract extension isn't all that surprising.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »
In general I like Beilein and think he can eventually win at Michigan, but was just surprised to see this news in the middle of a so-so season.  Understanding more details helps explain a bit, though still shocking that you can get a such a great deal after a single winning year (so far...this year TBD).  Kinda reminds me of the Tom Crean show in that respect.

feedback