[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue  (Read 11723 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Vander Blue
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »

By the way, is that Timmy jumping in that picture?

That's what I was wondering...!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
Murff is full of it.

Vander's production is the result of not having a team that is not as talented as it was in years past, and the scheme that Coach Collins uses doesn't necessarily utilize his talent to the fullest.

My analysis has nothing to do with supposedly not having his talent fully utilized by the coach's system----- it has to do with creating his own shot. The day i saw him his ball handling was slovenly and he had 6 TOs and his defense was non existant. Missed two perfectly set up allyoop pass dunk attempts------and had trouble creating his own shot successfully against HS kids. Also his production should be much improved this year generally-----but it isn't.

Now I still consider him a good prospect because he does have talent, but at #25 nationally he's overrated.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:43:10 PM by Murffieus »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
The day i saw him...

...at #25 nationally he's overrated.

And you wonder why people get irritated with you. Good thing you weren't Ron Wolf, you would have seen 3 snaps of Favre in Atlanta and written him off.

Unbelievable.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »
Well, Blue is better than the last dime a dozen guard we had.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
You beat me to it, 4ever.   Maybe he is a freakishly athletic, 6'4 dime a dozen combo guard.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
Let me guess, Murffieus either A) never played past his kindergarten co-ed YMCA league (most likely) or B) made second team all-conference in high school and believes this gives him the secret knowledge to analyzes high school players' abilities.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
Benny, my statement about being the best player in Wisconsin not guaranteeing instant success has nothing to do with desire or emotional makeup or anything other than the fact that the state's best player is very likely to be not on the level of the best player from, say, Illinois, or Michigan, or Indiana, or Texas, etc. That's all. I hope Vander is great but I realize he will have a huge adjustment to make to BE ball.

MUDude4

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »
Let me guess, Murffieus either A) never played past his kindergarten co-ed YMCA league (most likely) or B) made second team all-conference in high school and believes this gives him the secret knowledge to analyzes high school players' abilities.

Actually Murff played at MU, believe it or not

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »
Benny, my statement about being the best player in Wisconsin not guaranteeing instant success has nothing to do with desire or emotional makeup or anything other than the fact that the state's best player is very likely to be not on the level of the best player from, say, Illinois, or Michigan, or Indiana, or Texas, etc. That's all. I hope Vander is great but I realize he will have a huge adjustment to make to BE ball.

Sorry... I misinterpreted your post.  I completely agree with what you're saying.  I thought you were taking a shot at basketball players from Wisconsin.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
And you wonder why people get irritated with you. Good thing you weren't Ron Wolf, you would have seen 3 snaps of Favre in Atlanta and written him off.

Unbelievable.

I've got news for you----I was the only one in the universe that said the first time i saw him in TC-----that Aaron Rodgers was going to be a very good NFL QB (all Documented for years on the Dodds Packer site)-----even the great Bill Walsh turned thumbs dow on him!

Look----I think Blue is a good prospect-----just not a # 25 prospect (more like #50-75)----he hasn't improved over last year-----anyone who thinks he has is smoking blue & gold hashish!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:49:02 PM by Murffieus »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Actually Murff played at MU, believe it or not

Indeed, look through the wiki in the mid-1950's...STUD
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:48:26 PM by reinko »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »
Who was the doofus who said Keaton Nankivil was the best wisconsin high schooler to ever come out?

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure I agree with that.  DJO and DB played in junior college against some kids that are now in DI.  At the very least, they played against college players.

That all being said, I agree that Blue is a huge talent and an upgrade over Cube and Acker on day one.  I'm not so convinced that he's an upgrade over DB and DJO on day one.

I would agree with that!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Blue & Gold Hashish!?!  I like it!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:30 AM »

Unbelievable.

I thought everybody in Wisconsin has already written Favre off.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 07:07:09 AM »
I think Murf has a point.  I also add that a Top 25 recruit should be able to take over the game, a cliche I know, and I haven't seen it.  Yes he throws downs some amazing dunks, but in the games I have seen he rarely asserts himself offensively or defensively.  Of course, I have seen a small sample of games.  Perhaps it is the coaching scheme, perhaps he is bored.  Either way it will be exciting to see him in Blue & Gold.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:12 AM »
I think Murf has a point.  I also add that a Top 25 recruit should be able to take over the game, a cliche I know, and I haven't seen it.  Yes he throws downs some amazing dunks, but in the games I have seen he rarely asserts himself offensively or defensively.  Of course, I have seen a small sample of games.  Perhaps it is the coaching scheme, perhaps he is bored.  Either way it will be exciting to see him in Blue & Gold.

He's not a Top 25 recruit.  Anyone who says he's a top 25 recruit is either ill informed or pushing their own agenda.

Current consensus rankings have him at #53, with three different services not even including him in their Top 100.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 07:20:10 AM »
Actually, I'm not sure I agree with that.  DJO and DB played in junior college against some kids that are now in DI.  At the very least, they played against college players.

That all being said, I agree that Blue is a huge talent and an upgrade over Cube and Acker on day one.  I'm not so convinced that he's an upgrade over DB and DJO on day one.

And Vander Blue spent his entire life playing with J-May who is now (??)  a DI player, not to mention all the AAU ball he plays in the summer against players that are now DI.  I have no idea the talent DB and DJO played against while being JUCO's, but the AAU teams that Vander competes against are better than plenty of "college" teams if were going to count anyone who plays basketball at a college.  What level of competition do DB and DJO play with in JUCO?  Do most of the guys they play against end up going DI or is it equal to DII or DIII type play?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:02:28 AM by avid1010 »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »
bma, that's my bad.  I thought I read in this post that he was Top 25.  I only know he is #53 because you just said it.  No agenda. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 08:23:22 AM »

I don't always agree with everything Murff says, but I'd venture a guess that he's got a hell of a lot better basketball resume that most poeple who post on this board.  It's 50+ years since he played for the Warriors and he's still got multiple top-10 records in rebounding (all-time; single-season; average; etc.).

In other words, your guess is way, way off.  Please let us know where you got all your basketball expertise.  As for me, I'm just a fan.  I've proved lots of times (both on this board and in real life) that I'm no basketball expert.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
Blue is #22 nationally on rivals.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Vander-Blue-76953

ESPN has him at #34

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44294&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d44294

Being a Top 25 recruit is about consensus rankings not cherry picking individual ratings.

One could look at the ones you cited and say he's great, but you could just as easily look at USA Today and Prep Stars, both of whom leave him out of the Top 100 and think he's not good.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »
Being a Top 25 recruit is about consensus rankings not cherry picking individual ratings.

One could look at the ones you cited and say he's great, but you could just as easily look at USA Today and Prep Stars, both of whom leave him out of the Top 100 and think he's not good.

Seems odd that such a disparity (#22 to 100+ and "not good") exists. Could you share your thoughts as to why that is? Also, what are your observations of Vander's game and your expectations next year and beyond. Thanks in advance.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »

True, the more opinions you have about any given topic the more developed view you can form.  Those are the ones that come up when you google a player's name and are most likely to affect people's perceptions.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »
He's not a Top 25 recruit.  Anyone who says he's a top 25 recruit is either ill informed or pushing their own agenda.

Current consensus rankings have him at #53, with three different services not even including him in their Top 100.

With Blue falling fast and no replacement for Hayward or a bigman, there's goes next year.  Oh well.