2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Did you hear Charles Barkley is hosting Saturday Night live tonight?!?  (Read 2031 times)

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
Man, I thought the Frank TV ads during the baseball playoffs were obnoxious, but this has to be the most hyped SNL ever. It was getting damn near unwatchable, particularly when the Cowboys-Eagles game got out of hand. They somehow even managed to get Tony Romo to plug the show in his post-game interview. 

muhoosier260

• All American
Re: Did you hear Charles Barkley is hosting Saturday Night live tonight?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
unfortunately i watched part of it. In the words of Sir Charles, it was turrible.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »
Yeah, he was painful all the way through.  Obviously reading the cue cards and not looking at the camera, stiff as a board.  The funniest part of the whole show was the actual clips of him trying to hit a golf ball. That and maybe the sketch with him in the broadcaster booth, but maybe because it reminded him of being on the TNT set.

Not something he needs to do again anytime soon.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
While he wasn't great, I thought it was a pretty decent episode.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »
the funniest parts were when he made fun of himself for being a gambler and what not. The Barkley's bank skit where he'd either "double your money or lose it all" was good.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »
Seeing a 22 year old Charles walk into the The Gym about 5pm in late April or early May of '86.  The 76er's were playing the Bucks the next day at the MECCA in the second round of the playoffs if I recall correctly.  He took a cab to a Brewer's day game and hung out with the tailgaters for a couple of hours drinking beer and eating brats.  He then jumped into a cab at game time and asked the bartender where a good place to go at 4:30pm and the cabbie dropped him off at The Gym....a then college aged Barkley walked into The Gym and my friends and I instantly recognized him and started talking sports with him and drinking pitchers. 

He obviously told us how great Bo Jackson was going to be...but he also could not stop talking about a somewhat unknown at the time by the name of Frank Thomas who was an unbelievable tight end and baseball player at Auburn.

To make it short, we barhopped all night and he bought us Chimi's at Amigo's and we parted ways at about 3 AM....I am pretty sure they had a day playoff game the next day and to my recollection he had a pretty good game on about 4-6 hours sleep.

One of my better MU experiences outside of the classroom of course.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »
That's awesome.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
St. Paul...that's a great story!