'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can't execute the finish  (Read 3217 times)

nyg

• All American
Can't execute the finish
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
This team is like cursed or something. 

Last possession and our smallest player drives and dishes off to Butler who is surrounded.  For a small team, why go inside like that?? 

MU was on fire with the three in second half, so rotate the ball around and at least go for it.
Give it a shot.....  DJO, Hayward, Buycks and even Acker  You miss, well you gave it your best.

Great comeback, but come on.  Go with what brought you within the lead.   

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Can't execute the finish
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
Acker is definitely the man--blowing an uncontested layup
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:19:07 PM »
Couldn't agree more....it's like this team enjoys losing or something....no killer instinct....Buzz should of called a time out with 15 seconds to go once the possession starting getting awkward to regroup and design a three to win it as we weren't going to win an OT game in their building with the foul trouble we were in.  Another agonizing loss....had we won this game it would have been one of the top ten all time MU games to watch....was starting to remind me of the Wade/Diener comeback win at Louisville during the Final 4 year....instead we look cursed again.  

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »
Give me a break...great come back and we come up short.  As hard as another crappy loss is to swallow it's nice to see them fight back.  Wish we could have executed better on the final possession but can't do anything about that now and just improve for next game.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
Give me a break...great come back and we come up short.  As hard as another crappy loss is to swallow it's nice to see them fight back.  Wish we could have executed better on the final possession but can't do anything about that now and just improve for next game.

The only important fact is that they fell short AGAIN.  And why does MU seem to be  absolutely clueless during end-of-game situations?  Or even end of first-half situations?  Rarely do they get a good shot off, if they even get a shot off at all.

MU has already proven they can screw up at the end of a close game.  There are no moral victories anymore.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »
The difference between this loss and the others is that it involved a great comeback, that we just couldn't finish. The losses to FSU, NC St., Villa, and WVU were about not holding the lead. Different situations. Sure, we can try to find THE play in each loss that made the difference, but this loss is different from the others. And, not surprising when all is said and done.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »
So, we weren't tired at the end of this game?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
So, we weren't tired at the end of this game?

LOL.   +1

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
In the end, I just wish DJO had not passed off to Acker after the ball was passed in to him.  DJO with the ball simply provides more opportunities to score than having the ball in Mo's hands.  Especially in a 2 point game.

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
We played two games; a lousy first half and a great second.  As impressed as I am that they made a game of it and disappointed by another close loss, we have to accept the reality that we are a deficient team in terms of size and manpower.  I give Buzz a ton of credit for the fight that comes out of this team.  The reality is we need to look to next year when we have a bench and hopefully the addition of a couple of big bodies so we have an inside game to compliment the guard play.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist that we needed a simple ball screen for DJO with Lazar. Acker driving aimlessly was not the best thing we could get.

PS, did we have a timeout left when Jimmy was doubled in the post. If so then that is a TO that needed to be called.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
We were out of TO's

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
We were out of TO's

According to the television graphic, we were not out of timeouts.  I don't know if it was right, but it indicated one timeout

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
The difference between this loss and the others is that it involved a great comeback, that we just couldn't finish. The losses to FSU, NC St., Villa, and WVU were about not holding the lead. Different situations. Sure, we can try to find THE play in each loss that made the difference, but this loss is different from the others. And, not surprising when all is said and done.

The comback was great, don't get me wrong, however I would perfer to not be down by 22 with 13 min left.   I would argue this one was even more frustrating because we beat them by nineteen points in the final 13 minutes of the game........and we still lost.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
I am amazed at how many great coaches there are on this board telling everyone exactly what Marquette should have done to win.  If only we had you on the sidelines instead of Buzz...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
I am amazed at how many great coaches there are on this board telling everyone exactly what Marquette should have done to win.  If only we had you on the sidelines instead of Buzz...

When you lose tight games like Marquette has in Buzz' short tenure, fans will always question last minute strategy.

It's what fans do. Get off the high horse, Mr. Sarcastic Irony Guy.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:28 PM »
When you lose tight games like Marquette has in Buzz' short tenure, fans will always question last minute strategy.

It's what fans do. Get off the high horse, Mr. Sarcastic Irony Guy.

It's fine to question, who doesn't?  To post exactly what they should have done to score is rediculous.  I'm sure Buzz chose to run what he thought would work.  Don't tell me what I already know, Captain Obvious.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »
It's fine to question, who doesn't?  To post exactly what they should have done to score is rediculous.  I'm sure Buzz chose to run what he thought would work.  Don't tell me what I already know, Captain Obvious.

Why is it "rediculous" (sic)?

Marquette has played 16 games. I'm guessing 95% of the people on these boards have seen every single second of those 16 games. If so, they have every right as a fan to think about what would work in that situation and post it to a board in which it would be discussed. It's why we're here.

Btw, if Buzz really did choose to send his 5'7'' point guard into the middle of a congested lane only to hand it off to a sheltered Butler in no man's land, then he's getting off pretty easily from the fan bashing. That would be a terrible play to draw up at that point in the game.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
I doubt Buzz drew it up like it played out but yes, I understand where you are coming from and the frustration everyone is feeling.