Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Selection Committee  (Read 2960 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
NCAA Selection Committee
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
Does anyone know if come tournment time, the selection comittee looks at scores when they look at wins and losses?

I know they use the RPI which doesn't factor scores and they look at the last 10 which I think is a huge advantage for us.

MuMark

• All American
Re: NCAA Selection Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »
I think they have stopped looking at the last 10 or at least scaled down the importance because teams can be helped or hurt too much by the randomness of the schedule.

The SC uses many tools but the choices are subjective so scores certainly do play a part. How much of a part depends on each individual member.

Their job is to select the 34 "best" teams for at large bids. How they get to those teams involves the full body of work of each team under consideration.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »
I think they have stopped looking at the last 10 or at least scaled down the importance because teams can be helped or hurt too much by the randomness of the schedule.

They've actually increased it to final 12 games.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »
I think that is huge for us.  Getting these tough games out of the way early should be a good thing.  The brutal last 5 games at the end of last season hurt our seeding.

On the 23rd we begin our last 12 games of:
@ Syracuse
Rutgers
@ Connecticut
DePaul
@Providence
South Florida
Pittsburgh
@Cincinnati
@Saint Joihns
@Seton Hall
Louisville
Notre Dame

I think we can have a decent showing in these games.

MUDude4

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »
I would think they look at the scores or we probably don't get a 6 seed last year

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
I believe they look hard at all the bubble teams. Given that the scores matter, if you are a bubble team.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »
Since this is a "rebuilding" year I will take any seed they give us!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »
If you Google something like "mock NCAA selection," you'll get a slew of articles by members of the media who have participated in the mock selection set up by the NCAA over the past couple years.  Some provide some real insight, others just walk through the process.  One of the more detailed (not necessarily better) recaps is found at: http://www.midmajority.com/2009/02/mock-selection-2009.php.  (Sidenote - the author suggests that opponents' RPI seems to be more important than your RPI... maybe a cupcake feast isn't such a great idea.)

From what I've gathered reading many of the mock committee members' takes, it seems that RPI, overall record and conference records have greater importance early in the selection process when the first two ballots are cast, and head-to-head matchups, quality wins, last 12, etc. have more importance later in the process when most of the slots have been filled and a few bubble teams are fighting over what remains.

Hypothetically, let's assume MU is on the bubble Selection Weekend.  They, along with the other 4, 5, 6, 7 (or however many) bubble teams being considered, will have their entire season scrutinized.  The near-losses to WV and Nova will be considered.  Their performance at Old Spice will be considered.  How they've played in the last 12 will be looked at.  The loss of JMay will be reviewed to see if there's any meaningful impact (we all know the answer to this, but not every member of the committee may).  The injuries to Otule and Cadougan would be considered if one of those two happens to make a miracle recovery in Feb/early March.  One mock committee member even suggested things like scheduling quirks (e.g. a team plays 4+ road games in a row, plays on consecutive nights, etc.) are taken into consideration.

The "wholistic" review doesn't happen for every team... only those on the bubble.  So if MU can at least work its way on the bubble, they may arguably have some things working in their favor.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
And now they aren't factoring them at all...

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2009/division+i/di+mens+basketball+committee+removes+last+12+games+from+selection+toolbox_06_30_09_ncaa_news

That's unreal that the committee won't consider 1/4-1/3 of a season when choosing teams for the tournament.  Might as well just tell the teams to stop playing in January/February and wait till March until the committee has made their decision.  I mean it doesn't even really matter by then anyway does it?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
That's unreal that the committee won't consider 1/4-1/3 of a season when choosing teams for the tournament.  Might as well just tell the teams to stop playing in January/February and wait till March until the committee has made their decision.  I mean it doesn't even really matter by then anyway does it?

Not sure if this was supposed to be in teal or if you just interpreted incorrectly.  The last 12 games will still be considered as they are included in the overall resume, but no more importance will be give to the last 12 over the first 12, middle 12..etc.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »
Not sure if this was supposed to be in teal or if you just interpreted incorrectly.  The last 12 games will still be considered as they are included in the overall resume, but no more importance will be give to the last 12 over the first 12, middle 12..etc.

Totally interpreted it incorrectly.  I thought to myself, "That has to be the most absurd thing I've ever heard."  Probably should have kept that thought in my brain (points to heart).  See what a day of no MUScoop can do to a guy?

Thanks for clarifying.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »
Totally interpreted it incorrectly.  I thought to myself, "That has to be the most absurd thing I've ever heard."  Probably should have kept that thought in my brain (points to heart).  See what a day of no MUScoop can do to a guy?

Thanks for clarifying.

If you only read to the first block of ads it isn't very clear till after that.  I was confused for a second as well.