Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Subbing Acker for DJO at end of the game  (Read 4137 times)

MauraDay

• Team Captain
Subbing Acker for DJO at end of the game
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:08:34 AM »
What did you think about Buzz subbing Acker for DJO when it was apparent that Georgetown had to foul in the last 35 seconds?

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Subbing Acker for DJO at end of the game
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »
don't like it, DJO is here another 2 years when this team actually has a chance to do something.

He needs to get through this and grow a pair for the future.  

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »
If their free throw percentages are comparable, it makes sense to go with the "savvy veteran" if Buzz thinks Acker can handle the pressure better.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:28 AM »
Didn't like it. 1) Acker had been on the bench for about 10 minutes and 2) DJO needs to work thru his troubles on the line before it becomes a bigger issue.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
Maybe it was about ball handling and not FTs. Acker is a sr point guard and maybe Buzz feels at this time he is better equipped to handle the ball in a pressure situation.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
It was stupid. Acker was cold--he was fouled and blew the FT.

Acker and Cubi should never be in there at the same time.

In addition, Acker cannot match up with any BEast PG.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
I agree with most the posts here.  Let DJO grow.  It didn't like it, and it didn't seem to work either since Acker missed.  I would have rather seen DJO out there.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
I don't think it was a TERRIBLE idea.  Did it matter who was in (DJO v. Mo)?  Not really.  Acker is 75% from the line compared to DJO's 72% so percentage-wise they're pretty equal.  Acker, in my opinion, was the better bet to take the FTs - but not by much and only because he is a senior and he has experience under his belt. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:30 AM »
I thought it was a great idea,  Acker is much tighter with the ball off the dribble and pass.  GT had to foul.  yes DJO needs to grow and will grow and over time will hit those FT's.  However, not exactly clear to me why some of you feel it needs to be the very next game that he needs to clear this hurdle. 

Bottom line we want our best ball handlers out there, if for no other reason we need to maintain possession for 35 seconds if they dont foul and play all out pressure.  Acker, Cubi, HAyward, Butler, and Buycks are the best we have for that particular situation.  Also given the moment too soon to put DJO right back in that situation.  I felt it was agreat move by Buzz. 

In fact during the timeout I said "Buzz needs to go with...."  and those were the exact 5 he put out there so obviously i was in full agreement.  Acker missed the Ft.  But it was not a choke miss it was in and out, any shot that hits the rim twice is a good shot.  Same with Butlers against WVU, not a choke just an in and out half way down miss.  DJO's were chokes and no reason to throw him back in to that situation so soon. 

if he is in there he gets fouled and misses it absolutely kills his confidence and this board is going crazy with how stupid Buzz is to have him in there.  this board is mental!!!   lastly, do you think there is any correlation to how poorly DJO has played the last two games and the missed Ft's starting at WVU?  it is clearly still affecting him.  Great move by Buzz for all the right reasons.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
I don't have a problem with it.  The team would have been devastated to have lost another close one last night and I think Buzz realized that.  He thought Mo was a better option to take those ft's and I agreed until he missed it.  I wonder what Buzz will do if the same situation presents itself at Nova.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
Hands down Acker was the choice. Winning this game was critical. DJO hasn't been successful yet in pressure. It's not a teaching moment. It's putting the best choices on the floor and Acker was that choice.
Players win awards but teams win championships

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
I thought it was a great idea,  Acker is much tighter with the ball off the dribble and pass.  GT had to foul.  yes DJO needs to grow and will grow and over time will hit those FT's.  However, not exactly clear to me why some of you feel it needs to be the very next game that he needs to clear this hurdle. 

Bottom line we want our best ball handlers out there, if for no other reason we need to maintain possession for 35 seconds if they dont foul and play all out pressure.  Acker, Cubi, HAyward, Butler, and Buycks are the best we have for that particular situation.  Also given the moment too soon to put DJO right back in that situation.  I felt it was agreat move by Buzz. 

In fact during the timeout I said "Buzz needs to go with...."  and those were the exact 5 he put out there so obviously i was in full agreement.  Acker missed the Ft.  But it was not a choke miss it was in and out, any shot that hits the rim twice is a good shot.  Same with Butlers against WVU, not a choke just an in and out half way down miss.  DJO's were chokes and no reason to throw him back in to that situation so soon. 

if he is in there he gets fouled and misses it absolutely kills his confidence and this board is going crazy with how stupid Buzz is to have him in there.  this board is mental!!!   lastly, do you think there is any correlation to how poorly DJO has played the last two games and the missed Ft's starting at WVU?  it is clearly still affecting him.  Great move by Buzz for all the right reasons.

+1000000

I agree 100% you needed to make sure that good ball handlers were on the floor; acker is one of your best ball handlers...

DJO is a better player, no question about that, but his confidence is rattled right now and if he were in a situation at the line again and MISSED it would have been far worse for his development than sitting him down was...

Sure both of them missed free throws late in games, but body language can be telling, Acker stepped up to the line and looked confident...the shot rattled in and out.  DJO visibly looked flustered when he shot the late ft's against Nova...confidence doesn't happen overnight, DJO will get there, but he's not there yet

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »

1) Ball handling and more faith in him at the line.

2) The wanting him to 'work it out' so he can develop for the future talk is irking me. 

Seriously Stone Cold, you honestly think that Buzz should be worrying about some situation two years from now where DJO might have to make a clutch FT.
In the closing seconds of last night's game he should think to himself, "you know what? I bet that if I let DJO stay in the game for the last 20 seconds tonight, he might have a 2% better chance of hitting that crucial FT in 2 years when we are good."
Really?  that is what you want your coach's thought process to be? 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »

1) Ball handling and more faith in him at the line.

2) The wanting him to 'work it out' so he can develop for the future talk is irking me. 

Seriously Stone Cold, you honestly think that Buzz should be worrying about some situation two years from now where DJO might have to make a clutch FT.
In the closing seconds of last night's game he should think to himself, "you know what? I bet that if I let DJO stay in the game for the last 20 seconds tonight, he might have a 2% better chance of hitting that crucial FT in 2 years when we are good."
Really?  that is what you want your coach's thought process to be? 

Yes.   It comes down to mindset... this is a rebuilding year and I don't care about w's or l's this year.   Just about getting our players ready for when the talent gets here.    (btw not sure where you got the arbitrary 2% number..what if it's 28.94%)

LA

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »
Yes.   It comes down to mindset... this is a rebuilding year and I don't care about w's or l's this year.   Just about getting our players ready for when the talent gets here.    (btw not sure where you got the arbitrary 2% number..what if it's 28.94%)

It doesn't matter whant the percentage is, it is the wrong mindset. While this may be a "rebuilding year" in your mind that still doesn't mean you lay down in an important conference game for a "teaching moment." DJO's confidence will grow with time and MU will be competitive this season; Buzz made the right decision there.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
I'm with Mr Hayward on this one and said so from the stands at the time.  Lets slay one dragon at a time and we did that when the team (and specifically Jimmy) hit clutch free throws.  I love DJO but he doesn't respond to traps well which we knew were coming and simply doesn't have the BE game experience that Mo does.  I was comfortable with Mo walking to the line.  He missed, that happens, we won the game anyway.  If DJO misses and we lose it could really mess with his confidence.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
Hey, Willie Warrior, how do you feel about having Acker and Cubillan on the floor at the same time...?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
It doesn't matter whant the percentage is, it is the wrong mindset. While this may be a "rebuilding year" in your mind that still doesn't mean you lay down in an important conference game for a "teaching moment." DJO's confidence will grow with time and MU will be competitive this season; Buzz made the right decision there.

in your mind it may be a "better win so I feel good" year but if we all believe this team has no shot at finishing in the top fourth of the BE then this year is ripe for teaching and experience.   So yes use this year as one big "teaching moment". 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
in your mind it may be a "better win so I feel good" year but if we all believe this team has no shot at finishing in the top fourth of the BE then this year is ripe for teaching and experience.   So yes use this year as one big "teaching moment". 

Screw that.  If we can get a bid I want one.  If we are one and done oh well.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »
I'm with Hayward.  Loved the end of game lineup.  DJO will have his opportunities.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »
The thing is that Acker is not that great of a free throw shooter under pressure either. However, I think it was the right move. DJO was not just missing the free throws, he was not even close under pressure. Have you guys thought about how good DJO will be as a senior. He can shoot the straight up 3, he has a step back jumper and a power drive. He is just going dominate offensively when he gets more experience.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »
Have you guys thought about how good DJO will be as a senior.

Only every time I watch him.  I'm pretty excited about his Sophomore and Junior years as well.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Only every time I watch him.  I'm pretty excited about his Sophomore and Junior years as well.

You are watching his sophmore year IIRC.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
I'm with Hayward.  Loved the end of game lineup.  DJO will have his opportunities.

I was going to post something like this just as Scoop was going down. Even though the sub didn't quite work out since Mo missed the front of a 1-and-1 it was probably a better move since DJO's confidence was probably not something Buzz wanted to gamble with at that point.

I do like DJO though. He reminds me a lot of Dom but with a bigger upside and less of the negatives, but DJO missing his free throws reminds me too much of DJ.

feedback