Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Glad to see Erik Williams play tonight  (Read 4730 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Glad to see Erik Williams play tonight
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:45:04 AM »
He got 7 minutes, the earth remained on it's axis and got some guys a few blows.  He wasn't great, he wasn't even good necessarily, but he survived out there, probably got a little confidence. 

Daniel

• All American
Re: Glad to see Erik Williams play tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:47:57 AM »
I think in reality he played 2 -3 minutes, but I thought he played fine.  Was aggressive on D, and tried to stay with his man, and was in on the scramble on the floor for the loose ball.  Was happy to see him in too.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:10 AM »
Are you serious, 7 minutes?  I could have swore he played no more than 1 minute...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »
Are you serious, 7 minutes?  I could have swore he played no more than 1 minute...

According to the box score he played 7 minutes.  It might be wrong.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300070269

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/gameflash/2010/01/06/59924_boxscore.html

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »
yeah definitely had to have been 2-3 minutes.  I think it once between timeouts he played.  Regardless, nice to see him and Mbao out there in our victory!

marq101

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »
He seemed to have some intensity on defense tonight as well.  I wasn't watching him close enough to know whether or not he has stepped it up, but the effort was definitely there.  I was glad to see him out there and hope we can see him get some quality minutes as he continues to improve.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:53:05 AM »
Its wrong. No way he played 7.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:10:38 AM »
Box score is wrong.  He played barely over two minutes of game time, it appears they actually gave some of Fulce's minutes to him.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
Something that jumped out at me from the box score that I didn't even really pay attention to during the game was the fact that Buycks played 39 minutes.  While he didn't score as much last night, it is great to see the new guys getting more and more comfortable in the offense and trying to force less.  I thought Buycks hit a couple shots that he had no business making.  Of the deep, fade away, 80% Da'Sean Butler variety.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Norm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
Dang! I had to put the kids to bed and didn't start watching the game until it was about 19-15 or so, so I missed the chance to check out Williams? I see he picked up a foul and an assist. How did he and the team look when he was out there? Did he seem comfortable? Tentative?

Hopefully we can start seeing more of Williams and Mbao getting 5-7 minutes a game to help give the other guys a breather here and there.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
Does anyone know why the refs wouldn't let Buzz take Erik Williams out of the game after the Georgetown timeout in the first half?

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »
buzz normally plays Fulce for 5-6 minutes to start each game. Last night he took Fulce out a little earlier and substituted him with Ewill. EWill played a minute or two and played about like Fulce plays.  No harm done got him on the floor. I think it was agood move for Buzz to keep him mentally committed.  he did not play 7 minutes at all.  Maybe 2.  They messed it up and either gave him some of Mbao's or Fulces mintes. 

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
Dang! I had to put the kids to bed and didn't start watching the game until it was about 19-15 or so, so I missed the chance to check out Williams? I see he picked up a foul and an assist. How did he and the team look when he was out there? Did he seem comfortable? Tentative?

Hopefully we can start seeing more of Williams and Mbao getting 5-7 minutes a game to help give the other guys a breather here and there.

There was a defensive possession that stood out to me.  He was defending the post - well positioned between his man and the basket.  One of the G'Town guards came from the corner down the baseline.  As he did so, the post player tried to get the pass to him and E-Will got his hand on the pass.  He looked a lot more comfortable on D (albeit in limited action) than the last couple times he played.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »
Does anyone know why the refs wouldn't let Buzz take Erik Williams out of the game after the Georgetown timeout in the first half?

The refs wanted to see EWill get some PT!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
Fulce never checked back in, that's why! You can't just go back out there after a timeout

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »
Fulce never checked back in, that's why! You can't just go back out there after a timeout
I thought I saw him running from the scorers table, even ever so, why wouldn't they just let him go check in?  Play was still stopped coming out of a timeout.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
I had a different impression.

EWill got off the bench much earlier but I'm not sure it represented a confidence-building performance.

He played less than 2 minutes and gave up a weak side rebound. Buzz immediately called timeout and was halfway across the court to chew eWill out before I even knew that play had stopped.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
I had a different impression.

EWill got off the bench much earlier but I'm not sure it represented a confidence-building performance.

He played less than 2 minutes and gave up a weak side rebound. Buzz immediately called timeout and was halfway across the court to chew eWill out before I even knew that play had stopped.

Seriously? Buzz used a time out to chew him out for missing a rebound?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
Seriously? Buzz used a time out to chew him out for missing a rebound?

No. 

There were two timeouts during the period E-Will was on the court.  One was called by Georgetown after E-Will missed a rebound, the other was a TV timeout after E-Will committed a foul.  Buzz didn't stop the game to chew him out.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
Actually, I don't really mind a coach calling TO to get his team or a player to play smarter on D, especially early in the game. Mike Deane used to do that a lot, and while he didn't recruit well, he was a great in-game coach.