[Today at 02:41:31 PM]

Incoming freshmen by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 02:30:27 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can we all now agree...  (Read 13978 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Can we all now agree...
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »
that this is a very good basketball team? Forget wins and losses, MU just played 3 straight games vs. the 6th, 8th and 12th ranked teams and except for a total of maybe 4 or 5 minutes out played each of them.  They are a very unselfish group of men who understand via Buzz that their only chance for success is to play as a team.  There doesn't seem to be any egos out there.

The other thing that is very apparent is that Buzz knows how to coach. He makes mistakes, yes, but the game plans in each of the last 3 games have put the team in position to win.

Doctor V

• All American
Re: Can we all now agree...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
that this is a very good basketball team? Forget wins and losses, MU just played 3 straight games vs. the 6th, 8th and 12th ranked teams and except for a total of maybe 4 or 5 minutes out played each of them.  They are a very unselfish group of men who understand via Buzz that their only chance for success is to play as a team.  There doesn't seem to be any egos out there.

The other thing that is very apparent is that Buzz knows how to coach. He makes mistakes, yes, but the game plans in each of the last 3 games have put the team in position to win.

Agreed that this team has overachieved X100. Also agreed that Buzz has done better than expected in getting them ready to play extremely well sooo quickly

Not so sure I agree that he knows how to fully coach just yet- as u said we controlled many of the games we lost this season, and coaching is most important down the stretch. Also, its his tremendous recruiting, which few will doubt, that brought in those 3 jucos that are currently saving us. Buzz cant 'coach' making 11 threes per game

That said, I still say if this team makes the field of 65 itll be a coaching job worthy of BE coach of the year... Had we had gotten 1 of the 3 vs wvu, fsu, or nova i think we would be in great shape to be on that path

Long way to go, but I am starting to think MU may have a shot at the dance. Id warn against being fooled into thinking this team is good enough to be a lock- they will def lose some more games they should prob win like they did vs NC state

Coach your tail off Buzz, its about time you got off the blowing close games schnyde

Schoonts

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:53:58 PM »
I agree....  Final four.  Punch Villanova in the jaw Buzz!!!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
that this is a very good basketball team? Forget wins and losses,

No, can't agree.

I think this is a good basketball team, not a very good basketball team.  A VERY good basketball team doesn't lose the games we did.  They are playing hard, playing smart, very unselfish, but that doesn't make them a very good basketball team, but certainly a good one.  I don't consider Nova or WVU to be two of the top 10 teams in the country.

The Big East is good this year, but not great and I don't think any of those three teams are great.  Actually, the best team we've played all year is Wisconsin, in my opinion. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »
that this is a very good basketball team? Forget wins and losses, MU just played 3 straight games vs. the 6th, 8th and 12th ranked teams and except for a total of maybe 4 or 5 minutes out played each of them.  They are a very unselfish group of men who understand via Buzz that their only chance for success is to play as a team.  There doesn't seem to be any egos out there.

I believe only some of the griefers had lost hope.  This team has been solid in the last 3 games. Just too many close ones!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

marq101

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
No, can't agree.

I think this is a good basketball team, not a very good basketball team.  A VERY good basketball team doesn't lose the games we did.  They are playing hard, playing smart, very unselfish, but that doesn't make them a very good basketball team, but certainly a good one.  I don't consider Nova or WVU to be two of the top 10 teams in the country.

The Big East is good this year, but not great and I don't think any of those three teams are great.  Actually, the best team we've played all year is Wisconsin, in my opinion.  

Almost seems like a Buzz comment   :D

But as for Wisconsin being the best we've played this year, it might be pretty accurate as much as I hate to say it.  I'm not sure they're better than Villanova but playing in Madison is a much tougher matchup than playing at home against Nova.  As for West Virginia,  they're a good team but not the sixth best in the country.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:05:26 AM by marq101 »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
That Leuer kid was the best we have faced this year. However, we could take them right now.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:51 AM »
Very good is a stretch in my opinion.  We are not strong enough defensively.  I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like I am hoping the other team misses when MU is on D rather than watching for a good defensive stop.  

We are a bubble team for the rest of the season with wins at Syracuse or at UConn or 11-12 conference wins probably being the only things to take us off of the bubble before March 1.  

Last year I thought we were a very good team when healthy.  I would have given us at least a chance against UNC since we had the firepower and perimeter defense.  This year, Kentucky or Kansas wipe the floor with us.  

We have guys who can score and we play hard.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »
Yeah, the Badgers actually are probably the toughest team we've played.  However, I would say Nova and WVU are "very good" teams that edged an almost-as-good team.

We are a very overachieving team, not great yet, but almost there.  

We do have something great: Buzz.  

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »
No, can't agree.

I think this is a good basketball team, not a very good basketball team.  A VERY good basketball team doesn't lose the games we did.  They are playing hard, playing smart, very unselfish, but that doesn't make them a very good basketball team, but certainly a good one.  I don't consider Nova or WVU to be two of the top 10 teams in the country.

The Big East is good this year, but not great and I don't think any of those three teams are great.  Actually, the best team we've played all year is Wisconsin, in my opinion. 

I used to think you made some sense at times, some I am going to turn the other cheek on this one

Dont be 'that guy'- You can at times make valid points, but dont let others getting on your case about being anti MU and pro crean actually cloud your judgement into saying things that make it seem that way

The Big East is GREAT- maybe not as good as last year, but nonetheless an OUTSTANDING conference that is one of the top 2 or 3 in the country.

Nova and wvu ARE top 10 teams, or very close. Both teams return solid depth from extremely good squads last season. I believe u are a KenPom guy so Im assuming you will throw out his having wvu at #10 and nova at #29 with sconnie at #4, but save the energy.

Wisconsin is NOT better than wvu or nova, in my opinion. You arguing the case makes u seem like u downplay a teams ability because they struggle vs MU (nova and wvu) and makes it seem that u are saying they are weaker than wisconsin because they struggled vs MU. Nova lost to a good temple team in a rivalry game and wvu to a very good purdue team, both away if im not mistaken. Sconnie lost to another wisconsin state university

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:37 AM »
saying Wisconsin is a better overall team than both WVU and Nova I think is foolish.

Madison is a top 5 hardest place to win in college, but saying they're the best team we've played, idk about that.

I love how we compete. Buycks still scares me somewhat.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »
I used to think you made some sense at times, some I am going to turn the other cheek on this one

Dont be 'that guy'- You can at times make valid points, but dont let others getting on your case about being anti MU and pro crean actually cloud your judgement into saying things that make it seem that way

The Big East is GREAT- maybe not as good as last year, but nonetheless an OUTSTANDING conference that is one of the top 2 or 3 in the country.

Nova and wvu ARE top 10 teams, or very close. Both teams return solid depth from extremely good squads last season. I believe u are a KenPom guy so Im assuming you will throw out his having wvu at #10 and nova at #29 with sconnie at #4, but save the energy.

Wisconsin is NOT better than wvu or nova, in my opinion. You arguing the case makes u seem like u downplay a teams ability because they struggle vs MU (nova and wvu) and makes it seem that u are saying they are weaker than wisconsin because they struggled vs MU. Nova lost to a good temple team in a rivalry game and wvu to a very good purdue team, both away if im not mistaken. Sconnie lost to another wisconsin state university

Well, we will just agree to disagree.  The conference has now slipped to 4th best.  It's a solid conference, but not great this year.  Last year was not only great, but arguably the best ever.  Perhaps I'm too harsh on the conference because last year was so outstanding.

Ken Pom will tell you that his data is strong, but not mature enough, yet.  Need a few more weeks.

I do not think WVU is a top 10 team at all.  Poor guard play is going to be their downfall.  I would not be surprised to see them finish 4th or worse in the conference.  They are good, but not a top ten team.  I am not "downgrading" WVU because they struggled against MU.  They struggled against Cleveland State (won by 2), Seton Hall (won in OT), got annihilated by Purdue by 25, barely beat a good MU team by 1 at home.

It's the body of work, not one game.

I think Wisconsin is an outstanding team.  Beat Duke, beat Marquette, beat Maryland, absolutely crushed Penn State on the road the other day (PSU isn't that good, but to beat them that badly in Happy Valley was pretty good), etc.  They are a tough team that would be WVU and Nova, in my opinion.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »

Well, we will just agree to disagree.  The conference has now slipped to 4th best.  It's a solid conference, but not great this year.  Last year was not only great, but arguably the best ever.  Perhaps I'm too harsh on the conference because last year was so outstanding.

Ken Pom will tell you that his data is strong, but not mature enough, yet.  Need a few more weeks.

Real Time has BE #1 and B11 at 5th.  Their Power Rankings have BE #2 and B11 @ 4th.  Early as you say, but not so clear cut.  I counted 47 sheep tonight during the Badgers game.  Who won?

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Real Time has BE #1 and B11 at 5th.  Their Power Rankings have BE #2 and B11 @ 4th.  Early as you say, but not so clear cut.  I counted 47 sheep tonight during the Badgers game.  Who won?

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

MSU won.  I missed the game, but the final score looked like a snoozer for sure.

Ken Pom has Big East 4th

Sagarin has Big East 3rd

RPI....Big East 1st 

Right now WVU is number 1 overall in the country in the RPI, how...I don't know.  It has Purdue at number 3, a team it lost to by 25 points.   MU is 79th in the RPI...I think we're better than that.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 02:19:31 AM »

I do not think WVU is a top 10 team at all.  Poor guard play is going to be their downfall.  I would not be surprised to see them finish 4th or worse in the conference.  They are good, but not a top ten team.  I am not "downgrading" WVU because they struggled against MU.  They struggled against Cleveland State (won by 2), Seton Hall (won in OT), got annihilated by Purdue by 25, barely beat a good MU team by 1 at home.

It's the body of work, not one game.

I think Wisconsin is an outstanding team.  Beat Duke, beat Marquette, beat Maryland, absolutely crushed Penn State on the road the other day (PSU isn't that good, but to beat them that badly in Happy Valley was pretty good), etc.  They are a tough team that would be WVU and Nova, in my opinion.   

Fair enough. Last year, there were some saying that the Big Ten was better top to bottom than the BE... I felt the BE had one of the best conferences of all time as well

I strongly disagree with you on this season however. In my opinion Nova is a Final 4 caliber team, especially if that Wayns kid continues to play the way he has the last few games.

From what I have seen of Syracuse, I would say that they are definitely a Final 4 caliber team- Johnson is the real deal and they are 'dynamite' down low as dickie v would say, to go along with some good shooters and that defense they play (ya boy boeheim needs to find some depth though).

Although we disagree, I think WVU is atleast an Elite 8 type team, esp if truck bryant or mazzula can play the point effectively and especially since huggie knows how to coach.

UConn is very good and a Sweet 16 team if not better- Dyson and Walker in the backcourt with Robinson and Edwards down low is a pretty solid core

Pitt is much better than many expected, and I know it must make your little heart smile to hear that since they lost to ya boy tan tommy (jk IU alum). Anytime u can win at Syracuse and at Cincy you must have something good

Georgetown might be a big overrated at this point, but is still very good and plenty capable of being a sweet 16 team- Monroe can be that good on any given day and wright and freeman are excellent complements

Louisville, Cincinnati, and ND you cannot sleep on- Louisville always gets better and overachieves by seasons end. Cincy is much better than people think and will go dancing this year and may surprise and make it into the second weekend with stephensen and vaughn. ND has shrek, although with the high school defense they've played they will be in trouble

We know who MU is- we have overachieved thus far and seem much better than our preseason predictions

Providence, SH, USF, and SJU, Rutgers and Depaul i cant comment on cause I really havent seen, but these are obviously not tourney teams

So I have got 10 possible tourney teams, with likely 7-8 of those dancing (I would guess 8). Ive got 3 final 4 caliber, or atleast elite 8 caliber teams (Nova, Cuse, WVU). The rest that get in I think have legit sweet 16 chance, with UConn, Gtown, Louisville, Pitt being the top 4 in that next level (I would say the same of MU if they gets in and i think they would be one of the last in from the conference)

I would like to see your thoughts on the Big 11, since I dont follow that as much (minus U of Illinois) On my limited knowledge I would say Purdue and MSU are the only Final 4 caliber teams, with UW being in the sweet 16 category (I have major doubts they get outta the first weekend because if Leuer or hughes struggles they are in huge trouble). I also think minnesota, osu, and illinois are no better than that 2nd level that I spoke of from the BE. The big 11 could possibly only get 5 teams in the dance

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:51:07 AM »

Not so sure I agree that he knows how to fully coach just yet- as u said we controlled many of the games we lost this season, and coaching is most important down the stretch. Also, its his tremendous recruiting, which few will doubt, that brought in those 3 jucos that are currently saving us. Buzz cant 'coach' making 11 threes per game

OK...let me get this straight.  We have lost games down the stretch because of missed free throws and somehow that is Buzz's fault.  However when we make a bunch of three pointers, it is not relevant because well "you can't coach making three pointers."

To me, this is an incredible coaching performance this year.  They are short-handed and undersized, have had to deal with heartbreaking losses, injuries and transfers, yet they come out with a ton of energy and effort and have been in every game so far.  They are well prepared and run an offense that gets them good looks.

I'm not an anti-TC guy.  I thought he was great for our program, but he got blown away in a lot of games (like he is at IU this year.)  I think Buzz has these guys mentally more ready to play in games like the WVU and UW games and frankly it has been surprising to me that we have been in these games.

I'm not calling him the next John Wooden or Coach K, but between what he has done on the recruiting trail, what I have seen on the court this year, and what I hear about him as a person, I am very happy with who we have coaching the Warriors right now.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:03:34 AM »
This is a poor team talent wise relative to the Big East.   I'm very surprised we are not getting blown out by top 15 teams with superior talent. 

Has me encouraged for the future. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »
If we are competitive at Nova - where we got blown out last year - I will say this could be a very good team!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
saying Wisconsin is a better overall team than both WVU and Nova I think is foolish.

Madison is a top 5 hardest place to win in college, but saying they're the best team we've played, idk about that.

I love how we compete. Buycks still scares me somewhat.

I agree with this.

Wisconsin played their best 15 minutes of basketball the entire season to start the Marquette game. It was always going to be that way when they got embarrassed just three days earlier in Green Bay. Playing their first true road game, certain kids weren't exactly ready for that and the hole ended up too deep to play out. Play that game 10 times and MU would win two of them.

I think Villanova is the best team we've played because they have the best pieces -- especially when they get Yarou -- but Georgetown played the best defense against us yet this season.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:32:40 AM by The Golden Avalanche »

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
This is a very YOUNG team.

Good teams win close games.  The first two BE games were close, but a good team wins close games and ones where they have the opportunity to win at the end.  That's why good teams have more wins than losses.

This will become a good team over time as the youngsters learn how to win.  They had no problem blowing out the cupcakes and they have played the good teams really tough.  But that step from being a team that's tough to beat to being a team that can consistently win games against good teams is much bigger than it seems.  

It took the Jordan era Bulls 3 years to overcome the Pistons and go from a tough team to beat to a great one.  It's a big step.

But at this point these guys have so far exceeded my expectations and have me very encouraged for the future.  It looks like they have the talent to win, they just need to learn how.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:05 AM »
I agree with this.

Wisconsin played their best 15 minutes of basketball the entire season to start the Marquette game.

Well, they played really well versus Duke and crushed Ohio State on New Year's Eve.  I'm not sure this is an accurate statement.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
Solid team, but in no way a very good team. They have some talent and unquestionably play extremely hard, but have very little depth and will be over matched at the PG position most nights. I see .500-ish in the Big East...not sure how that qualifies them as a very good team.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »
I do not think WVU is a top 10 team at all.  Poor guard play is going to be their downfall.  I would not be surprised to see them finish 4th or worse in the conference.  They are good, but not a top ten team.

I agree that WV is not a top ten team after watching the Purdue game and MU play them, their ballhandling is poor. Yes they have height but every team with an intelligent game plan will press them into turnovers.

Marquette is a good team, and beating Gtown is a monkey off of their backs. I personally think we are going to have to steal a game against a ranked Big East team away from home to make the tournament, since there are many reasons for voters to point out why we shouldn't make the tourney. The games we have lost are to good teams, but there are no moral victories.

Yes Georgetown is ranked 12th in the nation but their depth may be poorer than ours. The style of basketball they play has always been suceptable (spelling) to losing to good outside shooting teams, they usually just play slow. I think that ranking is a little high.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
Well, they played really well versus Duke and crushed Ohio State on New Year's Eve.  I'm not sure this is an accurate statement.

Ohio State has been w/o Evan Turner who was on a tear at the beginning of the season. He was on player of the year pace until he got hurt, and was out for that game.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »
MSU won.  I missed the game, but the final score looked like a snoozer for sure.

Ken Pom has Big East 4th

Sagarin has Big East 3rd

RPI....Big East 1st  

Right now WVU is number 1 overall in the country in the RPI, how...I don't know.  It has Purdue at number 3, a team it lost to by 25 points.   MU is 79th in the RPI...I think we're better than that.

West Virginia only lost by 15 to Purdue, you're kind of skewing the facts. Still a bad loss nonetheless, but it was at Purdue on New Years Day and could have been a different story in Morgantown.